• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Akiko Kobayashi (Richard Produced Album)..."Rainbow Rai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I need to go back into my collection to recall who wrote the song "Rainbow, Rainbow" on the Akiko album. But in listening to a CD-R copy I made of the song, it just dawned on me that the chord progression in the first half of the verses is identical to that of the "fade-out" on "Goodbye To Love". Now I need to see if R.C. was involved in the musical writing of the song or if it's merely 'coincidence'. Anyone know off hand? -Chris

According to the liner notes, "Rainbow Rainbow" was written by Akiko. So it's more than likely *not* a coincidence...

Either Akiko wrote it that way as a tribute to the great Carpenter/Bettis team, or she subconciously included it after listening to waaaaaay too much Carpenters music.

The other option is that Akiko only wrote the melody, and Richard Carpenter, as producer, wrote the arrangement/charts for the other musicians to use, and he came up with the chord progression at that stage.

David

Thats Is an interesting point.
When I listen to China River
It seems to remind me of
Slow Dance in its progression.
Jim

My son is 19 years old, and he teases me about listening to the Carpenters (like everyone else has over the years), even though he's been hearing it since before he was born. He is a computer technician and is planning to go into video game production. Akiko Kobayashi's songs have been used on Japanese video games and he actually likes them! When I told him about her association with the Carpenters, there was silence. Just silence. :winkgrin:

After listening to the song over and over I really don't hear anything similar to the chord progression. Could somebody please specify a track time of when I am supposed to hear?

To me the song sounds exactly Slow Dance. Hey, it's almost identical IMHO. :D Listen to the song through 2:10 to 2:34 and then reply.

I also notice that How Could I Ask for more sounds strikingly like Those Good Old Dreams, especially the opening guitar parts. I think this is the song where Akiko sounds most like Karen. Just listen. It's awsome.

Hey Andrew... I haven't listened to the recording again to reference the section you are talking about that sounds like "Slow Dance", however, if you listen to the top of every verse, just sing the ending "aaahs" from "Goodbye to Love" and follow the chord progression down. It is very similar, at least the first half. :) -Chris

raz42289 said:
My next quest it to find a copy of Akiko's A Song For You. Has anybody heard this?

I have that CD, autographed by Akiko on the day of release (Yuka Ogura arranged it)! It's all orchestral arrangements. Akiko is backed by the Moscow Symphony. Definitely worth seeking out...

Murray
...NP - Bananarama The Greatest Hits Collection (remember them?)...

I have this album, autographed by Akiko.

The orchestral arrangments are nice and quite soothing...but it becomes a bit too much like background or elevator music at times!

It is not bad but I kinda prefer City of Angels.

calvin

Some really nice moments, however I seriously fell asleep while listening to it the first time... SERIOUSLY!

Randy

Oh Randy ...!

This is one of the best tribute albums ever with good vocals , unusual
mix of songs ....even a cover of a solo track -Lovelines and I love the mix of English & Japanese Lyrics / Vocals :)

All in All .....excellent recent release :D

Peter

I need to give it another listen when I am not so tired! I really did like a lot of what I heard. She sounds less like Karen than she did on "City of Angels" but it seems to be an excellent collection with beautiful orchestral arrangements.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom