⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CLOSE TO YOU" (SP-4271)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 42 47.2%

Votes: 38 42.7%

Votes: 7 7.9%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know that the following has been discussed before on a thread about use of Carpenters’ recordings in other projects, (which I can’t find), but I can’t remember where we got up to.

I remember being amazed when watching “Muriel’s Wedding” in the cinema when it was first released, when Karen’s voice blasted across the theatre singing “We’ve Only Just Begun”. (Sounded great up full bore on the speakers of the theatre, too). My belief at the time was that Richard never, or almost never, authorises their recordings for other projects, so I was astounded. I think that when we discussed this last time, overseas viewers said that there was no “We’ve Only Just Begun” on the version of “Muriel’s Wedding” that they saw. I was just wondering again whether Carpenters’ famous recording did appear in the film in international versions. I was just listening to K & R on the soundtrack CD a few minutes ago.

I know that the following has been discussed before on a thread about use of Carpenters’ recordings in other projects, (which I can’t find), but I can’t remember where we got up to.

I remember being amazed when watching “Muriel’s Wedding” in the cinema when it was first released, when Karen’s voice blasted across the theatre singing “We’ve Only Just Begun”. (Sounded great up full bore on the speakers of the theatre, too). My belief at the time was that Richard never, or almost never, authorises their recordings for other projects, so I was astounded. I think that when we discussed this last time, overseas viewers said that there was no “We’ve Only Just Begun” on the version of “Muriel’s Wedding” that they saw. I was just wondering again whether Carpenters’ famous recording did appear in the film in international versions. I was just listening to K & R on the soundtrack CD a few minutes ago.
I know that on the internet it’s been reported that the Carpenters version of “Calling Occupants” apparently appeared in the theatrical screenings of the X-Men movie “The Wolverine”, however on Blu-Ray here in Canada, while the song “Calling Occupants” is present, it’s by someone else. I’m wondering if Richard only authorized the Carpenters version for theatrical release but did not give permission for home video distribution.

I think that when we discussed this last time, overseas viewers said that there was no “We’ve Only Just Begun” on the version of “Muriel’s Wedding” that they saw. I was just wondering again whether Carpenters’ famous recording did appear in the film in international versions.

The song definitely wasn't in the UK version of the film I saw.

Since I was giving the RPO album a listen to this morning,
I had to revisit the 1970 CTY LP, extended version of song Close To You.
I must say, the LP CTY version of CTY really is the standout version for me.

Re-read this: "That said, there are Carpenters hits that he (RC) feels have aged badly, chief among them their breakthrough single, (They Long To Be) Close to You."

So, back to the RPO version....
there is an additional (besides Hal Blaine) drummer credited, Mike Shapiro.

Since I was giving the RPO album a listen to this morning,
I had to revisit the 1970 CTY LP, extended version of song Close To You.
I must say, the LP CTY version of CTY really is the standout version for me.

Re-read this: "That said, there are Carpenters hits that he (RC) feels have aged badly, chief among them their breakthrough single, (They Long To Be) Close to You."

So, back to the RPO version....
there is an additional (besides Hal Blaine) drummer credited, Mike Shapiro.
I wonder if he’s referring to how the original 1970 recording was made up of partially-mono-recorded tracks, which from a technical point have not aged as well as the stereo-recorded parts.

I wonder if he’s referring to how the original 1970 recording was made up of partially-mono-recorded tracks, which from a technical point have not aged as well as the stereo-recorded parts.

I’m wondering how it can be possible to remix a song which has multiple individual tracks bounced into one track to make room for more instruments? Once that has been done, they can’t be separated back out from one another.

I’m wondering how it can be possible to remix a song which has multiple individual tracks bounced into one track to make room for more instruments? Once that has been done, they can’t be separated back out from one another.
If he had bounced all the tracks to one track on a seperate tape and he saved the original tape then it would be possible to go back.

Of course, since the 90’s Capitol has been using digital software to isolate certain sections in Beach Boys recordings to get, say a vocal take that no longer exists seperately, seperate from the mono master.

I just saw this on EBay. I guess this copy of the sheet music got out before Richard added the parentheses to shorten the title of the song.
Might be because that’s what the song would be titled, according to the publisher’s records - and the sheet music represents the writers and publisher - maybe.

Might be because that’s what the song would be titled, according to the publisher’s records - and the sheet music represents the writers and publisher - maybe.
Well, from what I can tell, since 1970 the song has had the parentheses on any sheet music that I’ve seen. Plus with the single most likely being referred to on radio as “Close To You”, the “They Long To Be” Part might’ve been confusing.

The Carpenters sheet music They Long to Be Close to You Richard Karen Carpenter | eBay

I just saw this on EBay. I guess this copy of the sheet music got out before Richard added the parentheses to shorten the title of the song.
Given that this photo appeared on the back of the ‘Ticket to Ride’ edition of ‘Offering’ which featured K&R on a sailing boat on the cover, I wonder whether the wet hair look was meant to make them look beachy and Californian. I guess so.

Something I've just noticed for the first time, after watching the new arte.de documentary, which features the 1971 BBC special briefly in full HD and superb audio. It's only because of the enhanced sound I noticed that there is an error by someone in the band. Below is the best quality equivalent clip I could find.

Watch closely, at 0:17 the keyboards playing the "strings" come in too early, on the first verse instead of the second. Karen glances to her left, having heard the mistake. Who was playing that part? They're not visible on stage and it can't have been Richard (who is also to her left), because he's playing the piano.

Something I've just noticed for the first time, after watching the new arte.de documentary, which features the 1971 BBC special briefly in full HD and superb audio. It's only because of the enhanced sound I noticed that there is an error by someone in the band. Below is the best quality equivalent clip I could find.

Watch closely, at 0:17 the keyboards playing the "strings" come in too early, on the first verse instead of the second. Karen glances to her left, having heard the mistake. Who was playing that part? They're not visible on stage and it can't have been Richard (who is also to her left), because he's playing the piano.

I never noticed it! Maybe the applause covered it good enough and although covered well, you have keen eyes and ears!

It is of some interest to note the differences between the updated RPO version and this earlier version of
Close To You
:

I haven't been much of a fan of the song Help--on vinyl-- but when I watch the concert performances of the song,
especially Karen on drums, I see the attraction for it:

I've always loved Karen's drumming on this track and Mr Guder, but one thing that always jars with me about the live versions of Help! is the way they slow the tempo down just before the chorus, on the words "I've never done before".

With the recent talk of "Another Song" elsewhere, I've been thinking more about the CLOSE TO YOU album, and it really is superb. I love "Another Song", love where it occurs on the album as the last track. It's perfect there, echoing the somewhat harder-music track that essentially finished OFFERING ("Nowadays Clancy..."). The whole album just flows. It was sequenced perfectly - and I might just consider it their very best.

Back
Top Bottom