• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Album covers - A SONG FOR YOU *

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two lines are "I've acted out my love in stages....with 10,000 people watching", and "Cuz we're alone now and I'm singing this song for you". It's very subtle, but those two lines are alternate recordings. The rest of the song is the same,

POSITIVE. Listen again. Not sure what you call it, but it could be the use of 'punch-in'....where Karen would go back and re-do certain lines. I'm confident that's the version you hear on the actual LP. The remix apparently used the original vocal track. It's very subtle, but it's different.

Here's something I've always wondered about that song. How come they never fixed the part near the end when Karen sings "and when my life is over?" She slurs the word "is" and blends it in with "over" making one long blurry word out of it. I guess they must have liked the casualness of it because the same line is re-used in the reprise. Maybe I'm the only one on the planet who's bugged by this.

HARRY-I'm glad to see that your coming to terms with the reality of "A Song For You"-It absolutely does have several production flaws,and you've pointed out several of them.And, I would say that your phrase "rush to production" should be more accurately termed "rush through production".

Also,there's one major flaw that you forgot to mention-Karen's vocal mishap on "Crystal Lullaby" where she sings "tumtimes" instead of "Sometimes".Richard corrected this on the 1987 remix(I guess there was an alternate take with the correct pronunciation).But,the fact that he left it on the original recording instead of having Karen redo the vocal is (again) clear evidence that a "rush job" was done with this album.

PJ-You mentioned that Billboard and Rolling Stone(among others) don't offer positive,objective reviews of K&R's albums.Well,I haven't seen every album review that was ever done,but Rolling Stone did a very good review of "Lovelines" back in November,1989.Overall,they gave the album pretty good marks,and specifically gave "You're The One" and "Where Do I Go From Here" an honorable mention.They also pointed out some of the solo tracks ("If We Try" and "If I Had You") as being very sensual and soulful.

High Fidelity did a top notch review of "Voice Of The Heart" in 1983-highlighting Karen's bluesy vocals on "Ordinary Fool" and comparing Karen to the old-school jazz singers(a positive assessment).

mr J. said:
HARRY-I'm glad to see that your coming to terms with the reality of "A Song For You"-It absolutely does have several production flaws,and you've pointed out several of them.And, I would say that your phrase "rush to production" should be more accurately termed "rush through production".

Also,there's one major flaw that you forgot to mention-Karen's vocal mishap on "Crystal Lullaby" where she sings "tumtimes" instead of "Sometimes".Richard corrected this on the 1987 remix(I guess there was an alternate take with the correct pronunciation).But,the fact that he left it on the original recording instead of having Karen redo the vocal is (again) clear evidence that a "rush job" was done with this album.

Perhaps from your point of view, I'm "coming to terms" with A SONG FOR YOU - but it is still their top album in my estimation, in spite of a few minor rough spots. I've never said it was a flawless production, but it is a near flawless album in terms of content and impact.

Regarding the "tumtimes" fix, Richard addressed this in the Japanese TREASURES album for which the song got its remix and "fix". He claims that he used his own voice-less "S" sound to punch in and fix the errant tape problem. I found that somewhat surprising as I would have thought that there were many possibilities of using one of Karen's own "S" sounds, perhaps even from the same recording.

But I suppose that that technique was at least given a try and didn't sound right, so as a last resort he opted for his own "S" sound, designed for the purpose.

Harry

Harry said:
...But I suppose that that technique was at least given a try and didn't sound right, so as a last resort he opted for his own "S" sound, designed for the purpose...

Hence, the use of the capital S at the end of "CarpenterS", in their logo...! :laugh:

Dave

I have always thought that Karen's vocal 'flaw' on the line "and when my life is over" was a result of her lisp, which is very pronounced on some of the 71/72 tracks. I never thought of it as the result of an imperfect punch-in, which is why I don't think Richard fixed it.

Wow. I go away for a few days, and my thread becomes a debate over the merrits of "A SONG FOR YOU" !

Actually, I don't mind. It's been interesting to read your thoughts. In my opinion, "ASFY" is their best album content wise. I mean, the first half is a greatest hits collection on it's own! 'A Song from You" is one of my favorite Karen vocal performances, and "Goodbye to Love" is the greatest song Richard Carpenter and John Bettis ever wrote together,with one of the most impressive and famous guitar solos in rock history (RIP, Mr.Peluso). For those two songs alone,the album is a classic.

Production wise, the best Carpenters album is "Horizon". Everything from the over all production to the sound itself is hard to top in their catalog. However,I listen to "ASFY" more than any other original Carps LP in my collection. I have a feeling I am not alone in that.

I rarely listen to A SONG FOR YOU. Like in the past year, I have maybe heard it two times!

But ask me about A KIND OF HUSH, CARPENTERS or CLOSE TO YOU, I listen to dozens and dozens of times.

A SONG FOR YOU is an okay album, and there are some songs I like, but I just don't like the flow of the song selection. I could also do without in that collection Crystall Lullaby, Piano Picker, Flat Barocque (the latter two songs, would have been better if they had not used up that album space and put more Karen on it).

My peeves with Carpenters and Close To You albums, was they had Druscilla Penny, Saturday, and I kept On Loving You....as you can tell I am not a huge fan of Richard's singing. Like I have said, he has a pleasant voice, but please leave the singing to Karen! But I will say, in the earlier days, maybe it was a market issue, or trying to figure out the niche. Which is why OFFERING was never a favorite album of mine (although I do love TURN AWAY, SOMEDAY and EVE, as well as DON'T BE AFRAID).

"Production wise, the best Carpenters album is "Horizon". Everything from the over all production to the sound itself is hard to top in their catalog."
Well said, and I agree. Horizon is also tops just in the way Karen's voice sounds- amazing!

I also agree. Karen sounds superb on "Horizon"....about as intimate a recording that has ever been created. Production-wise, recording-wise and performance-wise.

mstaft said:
"Production wise, the best Carpenters album is "Horizon". Everything from the over all production to the sound itself is hard to top in their catalog."
Well said, and I agree. Horizon is also tops just in the way Karen's voice sounds- amazing!

It's also the best album sonically to my ears.

Ed

Horizon is my favorite and I agree is the best to my ears...the warmth of tone and possibly the mics used.

I do love A Song for You also....some of my favorite Carpenters' songs on that.

I posted a while back about having 3 different covers (even though there are only supposed to be two of them). Later today, when I am home, I will get out the albums and describe the covers....

Jonathan

A Song for You was in my opinion their top album, one can't dispute the hits that appear on that album, even today the songs are still played on easy listening stations. When the public hears these songs, they know who is singing them, there identified with the Carpenters. Top of the World, Hurting each Other, Goodbye to Love, It's Going to Take Some Time. This was a major album for the Carpenters. Do you think when the public hears these songs they say, oh listen to those major flaws, oh I think I heard a flaw, lol I don't think this came from the public who bought these songs, they just loved the songs as they were and it made the Carpenters rich. I'm sure they rushed this album to production but my goodness the hit songs that came out of it considering the hectic schedule they were on is nothing short of amazing.

Look at Horizon, sorry, not the same hit material, not played by radio as much as the songs from A Song for You. I bet the only song that got much play from Horizon was Only Yesterday.

I personally enjoy listening more to Horizon than A Song for You but I'm going against the grain from what the public would choose. For me I don't think an album can touch the unique vocals Karen gives us on Horizon something that has never been duplicated since.

Well put, Chris. I agree with you.
However, "Postman", "Only Yesterday" and "Solitaire" ALL got plenty of airplay back in 1974-1975 on Kansas City's Top 40 stations. Especially "Postman". It was on all the time. And, three years later, "Occupants" and "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" got their fair share of airplay, too.

"Solitaire" was played endlessly on the soft rock stations in Philadelphia. I was not as fond of the record the way I was of the Carpenters' other hits, but was always glad to hear them on the radio.

Now that I've heard and appreciate the subtle differences between the album track and the single, I wonder just what actually DID get airplay. Since I went to work at the station that played the song and know how they worked, I know that they aired vinyl albums right on the air.

Rare tracks were carted onto tape cartridges, but standard easy-to-get album tracks were played right from the vinyl LP. So it's likely that the station played the album version - and that I'd never actually heard the single version until the release of it on GOLD.

Harry

I was 13 and on vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks in August, 1975, and "Solitaire" had just been released as a single. I didn't even know that fact until I saw it on a jukebox at the 'recreation room' of the resort.

I forked out the 25c and played the single, and immediately noticed the differences, which I really liked a lot. Sounded GREAT and boomy on that jukebox. Bought the 45 as soon as we got home.

That was the year that FM Top 40 exploded in Kansas City, and KBEQ used to play the single version on the air.

Ok.
So I have my ASFY albums out. For whatever reason...I have 4 copies...

2 copies have the smaller heart with narrower white border and smaller title with the flap and are a "rougher" feeling paper...not glossy

1 copy has the Larger heart with wider border and larger title .... has the flap and is the "smoother" feeling paper....glossy

1 copy has the larger heart with wider border and larger title....NO flap and is a smooth feeling paper....glossy

so even though there is officially only 2 jackets....I seem to have 3......anyone have any of these variants????

as for labels....the first 3 have the older brownish label and last one has the white lable with the big "A&M" on it....

Jonathan

I've seen all three of those.

As an album would age, the "extras" that went into its packaging would disappear. Hence your glossy paper copy, and the disappearance of the flap.

The redesign of the album resulted in the wider border and larger title. I saw it with the flap but I don't remember if the one I saw had the embossed paper or not. I've only got one LP copy of the album and it's the original -- small heart, narrow border, embossed paper with flap.

As much as I like the album, I'm surprised I only bought it on LP one time. I've made up for it by buying 3 different CDs though!

I've seen all those, too, but there are actually additional versions, as well.
When I saw the Carpenters 'live' in Kansas City in April, 1973, they were selling the "A Song For You" album along with programs and posters. One of the versions is a cover I never saw again after that night. It was the Carpenters logo turned downwards to the right. Very odd. I wish I'd bought it then, but I was just a kid, and the poster was all I could afford. :)

Mike Blakesley said:
I've seen all three of those.

As an album would age, the "extras" that went into its packaging would disappear. Hence your glossy paper copy, and the disappearance of the flap.

The redesign of the album resulted in the wider border and larger title. I saw it with the flap but I don't remember if the one I saw had the embossed paper or not. I've only got one LP copy of the album and it's the original -- small heart, narrow border, embossed paper with flap.

I have three copies of the album myself. One was the old LP that was in my folks collection, well worn and well played. The second is a mint, still sealed in wrapper copy that I found at a flea market two years ago. The third being the 'Remastered Classics' CD. Based on your description, Mike, I have two copies of the original pressing, one still sealed! I'm not sure how much it is worth, but it certainly is a collectors item of some sort. :D

If memory serves, the redesigned version (bigger heart, Carpenters logo altered) was done by A&M because they felt the original lacked impact. Richard, who wasn't that keen on the original in the first place, liked this one even less. Thus, eventually it went back to a version of the original. Accounting for the later day version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom