1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 1, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

41 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. ****

30 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. ***

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. **

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. *

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Honolulu City Lights

FL
    Record Mirror (UK)
    Horizon LP Review
    June 28, 1975

[​IMG]

2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Apparently, that review fell on deaf ears, as Horizon performed exceptionally well on the UK chart.
    I wonder if that reviewer felt the same regards the Tan-Carpenters- LP ? Timing at 29 minutes, 36 sec.
    That review misses far too much of the best qualities of the album. For instance,
    while Only Yesterday may have been released (by that time) as a single--the version on the album
    is not the same as the single version--the reviewer fails to note the difference.
    "value for the money," I do not know how the reviewer defines that term.... !
    Horizon album sounds incredible. I rarely--if ever--think of its brevity.
    Jerry Moss apparently felt the same:
    "To have that voice on A&M records was really a thrill.."

CraigGA and Jamesj75 like this.
  3. newvillefan

newvillefan I Know My First Name Is Stephen

I know many people
    I wonder if they ever told Karen that.

Geographer likes this.
  4. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^You make an excellent point !
    Curiously, Coleman writes this:
    " A letter congratulating Richard on his production of Horizon came from an unexpected source,
    Jerry Moss." (page 181).

5. newvillefan

newvillefan I Know My First Name Is Stephen

I always interpreted that as meaning Jerry Moss didn’t have a lot of time for Richard.

6. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Honolulu City Lights

FL
    Here's something interesting. We know that the 1975 Japanese and European tours were cancelled. Here is a ticket stub that was generated but due to the tours being cancelled stub was unused. What's interesting is that it says on the bottom of the ticket stub:

"A Hiroshima TV Presentation 1975"

So I would have to imagine that had this tour not been cancelled that many of the concerts in Japan would have been filmed for broadcast on TV. It's also possible that it could have been made into a VHS tape or DVD like what happen with Live at Budokan. It's also very possible that since this tour was to promote the album that we would have live versions of many of the songs off the Horizon album. Can you imagine?

This ebay listing is specifically saying this stub was for the Horizon tour (maybe lotus can help with some of the Japanese wordings)
    See here for all 6 pics.
    THE Carpenters 1975 Horizon Cancelled Japan Tour Ticket Stub(Hiroshima) Rare!! | eBay

[​IMG]

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  7. adam

adam Active Member