• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Albums by Sergio alumni

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&Mguyfromwayback

Industry Member
I was curious about two things: Is there a complete list of everyone that has toured/recorded through the years with Brasil 66-77-88-pick-a-number? I don't mean the session musicians, but the members of his band. My other question is how many of his band people have gone on to record on their own. The most obvious is, of course, Lani Hall, but Kevyn Lettau has done a bunch of albums, Dom Um Romao, Kleber Jorge, Marietta Waters, and Paulinho DaCosta have also done their own projects - but I bet there's more..... [/img]

Claudio did a bunch of great CDs with Joao Donato; Rubens Bassini had a career in Brasil with at least one solo album before joining Sergio; John Pisano has a passle of solo and group albums to his credit; Oscar Castro-Neves, likewise--on both Brasilian and US labels. Then, depending on how you define "member", there's Dori Caymmi, Jorge Ben (Brasil '65), Michael Sembello, etc. Those are just the ones that pop up in my mind--I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Dom Um Romao also did a couple of solo albums on the Muse label that were reissued on CD a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if they're still available.

Capt. Bacardi

Mike Blakesley said:
I'm surprised no one ever snapped up Joe Pizzulo for a solo album. At least, I never heard of one.
I heard that years ago, Joe worked on an album (with Sergio involved) that was never released. Anyone heard anything about this?

There's also Dianne Reeves, well known Jazz vocalist who toured with Sergio for a couple of years. As a matter of fact, Dianne won a Grammy last year for best mainline Jazz album...some accomplishment!!

Jon

No-one's mentioned the fairly rare Tião Neto album. I believe it was released only in Brasil and is VERY short. At one time, there was a rumor that Lani Hall was on it, but it turned out to be just the song "Salt Sea" with English lyrics by Ms. Hall.

Harry

Harry's right. Then again, there's always Mrs. Sergio Mendes...Gracinha, who recorded a solo album in the late '60s, has appeared on numerous Sergio albums, not to mention her work with Bossa Rio and Lee Ritenour, Yutaka and various other artists.

Another artist is Yutaka, who briefly acted as Sergio's Musical Director and recorded his own albums to include Gracinha, Kevyn Lettau and Kate "Yunai" Markowitz.

Another great who appeared with Sergio was Tom Jobim. He appeared on the Vintage '74 album and did a couple of appearances with Brasil '77 on stage. We saw a concert at the Circle Star in late '74 where he put in an appearance with the group. I recall my Father saying, "Son, you've seen one of the greatest guitarists and composers in all the world," at the conclusion of the show...my first realization of the importance of Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Jon

Tom and Sergio were very good friends who shared mutual admiration and respect for one another. Tom was Sergio's mentor. However, Tom was never a member of Sergio's band at any time. Dori Caymmi, Jorge Ben, and Marcos Valle were members. Chalo Eduardo released 2 albums by his band the Brasilian Beat. Singers Kate Markowitz , Dawn Bishop, Angie Jaree, Leza Miller, and Julie Ragins all have released their own solo albums. A few years ago, Alphonso Johnson( Sergio's bassist in the late 80's} gave me a rare recording by Gracinha Leporace. It's not the one from 1967, at least it doesn't sound like it.. It was produced by Sergio and features songs by Jobim, Gilberto Gil, Ivan Lins, Edu Lobo, Dori Caymmi, Marcos Valle, and Djavan. I have been looking for this recording everywhere and I haven't been able to find it. I am very grateful to Alphonso for giving it to me.

Mike Blakesley said:
I'm surprised no one ever snapped up Joe Pizzulo for a solo album. At least, I never heard of one.

That's a really excellent point, actually! Considering the Top 40 successes of "Never Gonna Let You Go" and "Alibis," that is really weird that a solo album never saw the light of day. I know I would have bought it!

Cortnee said:
Tom and Sergio were very good friends and Tom was Sergio's mentor. However, Tom was never a member of Sergio's band at any time.

Gee, that's interesting. Sure looked like Jobim!! Come to think of it...it WAS Jobim. Perhaps he wasn't a regular member of the Sergio Mendes Band, per se, but he did put in personal appearances from time to time.

Jon

I didn't say that Jobim never played with Sergio.I saw Jobim in concert with Sergio in the mid 80s up in New York.Jobim DID play with Sergio on several occasions on both recordings and concert appearances. In addition they shared musicians such as Oscar C. Neves, Sebastiao Neto, Domum Romao, Claudio Slon, Paulo Braga, and Rubens Bassini. Gracinha has even appeared on a couple of Jobim lps. As I said, Tom Jobim wasn't an official band member. Jobim appearances were strictly guest appearances.

JMK said:
Then, depending on how you define "member", there's Dori Caymmi, Jorge Ben (Brasil '65), Michael Sembello, etc. Those are just the ones that pop up in my mind--I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Dear JMK,

You‘re right, I add to the list:
Cruz Baca (Michael Sembello‘s wive), and the guitarists Buzzy Feiten, Durval Feireira (Bossa Rio Sextet) the late Rosinha da Valenca, Kleber Jorge (has his own fine album co-produced by Bill Brendle) Danny Embrey, Vinnie d’Onofrio and Lee Ritenour (1974 tour to Japan) and maybe Bossa Nova legend Carlos Lyra who worked with Sergio in the mid-seventies when he was was living and recording in LA (appears on HOMECOOKING).

And bass player Octavio Bailly (member of the Bossa Rio Sextet and the latter Bossio Rio group with Gracinha Leporace). Octavia Played later in a the Brasil ‘77 group and on several treacks on the album Vintage ‘74.

And keyboard players Freddie Ravel and Greg Kakurus (they never appeared on a Sergio Mendes album). And sax man Paulo Moura, from the Bossa Rio Sextet (an artist in his own right).

And I wonder if the versatile sax wizard Tom Scott who appears on an
number of Sergio‘s albums even toured with Sergio, maybe?

all the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Carlos' and Sergio's collaborations extend to way before Homecooking. Sergio was pianist on Carlos' very early Columbia LP with Paul Winter, "The Sound of Ipanema." And then 20 years later, Oscar joined Paul Winter's group and recorded an OK disc on Paul's Living Music label (I enjoy Oscar's JVC stuff better, but for some reason Oscar's late in life output has never moved me the way his early bossa nova sides with big band do).

Before I respond to a Cortnee thread, may I ask her to step forward with her credentials? She always writes with such insider authority yet she's been contradicted and reprimanded before (as I'm sure I will be if this post sees the light of day), but, Cortnee, who are you?

Chris, your post stands as-is. I, too, think we are all owed an explanation as to what is going on here. We have too many musicians and industry persons reading this forum to be having incorrect or frivolous information being posted here.

Chris Martin said:
Before I respond to a Cortnee thread, may I ask her to step forward with her credentials? She always writes with such insider authority yet she's been contradicted and reprimanded before (as I'm sure I will be if this post sees the light of day), but, Cortnee, who are you?
I too, AM a Sergio Mendes fan just like you and all the others. I am certainlty no professional, just simply a fan. I get my information from many resources. I buy his his albums. I have went to several of his concerts. I read magazine articles and watch tv. I do my own research, primarily via the internet. Plus I have met a few of his colleauges, a couple of them I have kept in touch with for nearly a decade. Now may I ask where do YOU get your information from?

I shan't be drawn. Suffice it to say my posts are based on personal anecdote and opinion.
Re. outfits: Surely the outfits sported by Sondra Caton and Bonnie Bowden on the '75 Elektra "Sergio Mendes" back cover merit a nomination. Brown leotard tops (BROWN, yet!) and tattered chiffon skirts. Y'know, I hand-sewed them myself. Oy, that was a long night. As I said to Oscar and Tiao..... :laugh:
CHRIS MARTIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom