• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Anyone read this?

MustHearThisAlbum, you are not alone (nice analysis, by the way ! ),
as I feel that Grein misses too many other elements ( in Carpenters' decline) .
Although, I never much believed Weintraub's assessment, either. ( e.g., 'an artists' natural decline').
Still, I wonder if releasing-- as singles--lightweight tunes such as Sing and Please Mr. Postman,
instead of, say, This Masquerade, was not a poor choice of direction to proceed.
Richard Carpenter sought accolades from his arranging and production duties, yet,
certain singles simply do not represent the depth he is capable of in Carpenters' music.
(
And, yet, he did receive a Best Instrumental Arrangement nomination for Sing !).
Album cuts show much more depth than some of those singles.
(And, I actually still cringe at the releasing of It's Going To Take Some Time, as a single---
it shows an early weakness, IMHO).

Let's not forget this 'Day in History' May 17, 1978, event:
Carpenters Space Encounters....
"an hour catering to the kids..."(The Evening Independent News)
"...a galactic setting..shooting laser beams..celestial beings and guest stars Suzanne Somers, John Davidson, Charlie Callas.." (Lakelend Ledger)
Karen says, "There were many difficult aspects of the taping, mostly centered around the actual laser beams..."
Richard says, "This one has really taken a lot of work..six months.."

Source:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=klEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4516,1262484&hl=en
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=i1gDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1987,243973&hl=en

Billboard Magazine, December 3rd, 1994 (page 9)
Carpenter Commemoration (with Photo):
"Richard Carpenter receives a trophy at a party celebrating the 25th Anniversary of
the Carpenters signing to A&M Records. A&M recently released If I Were A Carpenter,
a tribute album on which modern rock artists perform Carpenters hits.
Shown with Richard are: Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, founders of A&M Records,
songwriters Paul Williams and Roger Nichols and Rondor President Lance Freed."

Source:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ZwgEAAAAMBAJ

More information on the above-mentioned film:
"Taking stock of everything – this expansive, infuriating, lurid, shapeless, transcendent, resplendent quagmire of cinematic invention – one can't help but be awed by how its spiralling, mad-eyed ambition is matched (and then some) by the sounds and images which have been captured for the screen. It builds and builds to an astonishing and heartbreaking crescendo, taking many secret backroads and byways in the process, and only by its final fames, which arrive to the heady strains of a child voice choir covering The Carpenters' Calling Occupants, does Gomes' colossal stores of human sensitivity truly shine through."

Source:
http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/features/articles/cannes-2015-arabian-nights-30345

For those who have the Original Fan Club Newsletters, you may remember
(excerpts from) 1975 , four pages & authored by Evelyn Wallace:
Carpenters-Superstars,
" In the summer of 1966 they entered the Battle of the Bands."
"Then came the All American College Show."
"Finally, through a friend of a friend, one of their home-made tapes made it to Herb Alpert."
"For the second single, Richard debated between Close To You and two others he had taped."
"He finally chose Close To You and the rest is now history."
"And, in 1975, will make their third trip to Japan."
"Their rise to fame was inevitable. Their amazing talent was bound to be discovered."

(sic.,these are exact transcriptions from the article).
(N.B.: No mention of Magic Lamp here, that comes in at Newsletter#59, May 1978).

The official fan club letters were arm of the publicity machine, a personal one, but nonetheless, publicity that could have had an approval team before submission. If we look at them with the intent and purpose of their design, and the time period of their origin, we are all grateful for those efforts and understand that the internet of information was not available 40 years ago so we are only delivered information that met a team of approval for promotion.

Melody Maker 1975:
Ray Coleman: "Do you want to be remembered as a classic singer? A lot of people regard your voice as one of the best in popular music."
Karen Carpenter: "I sure hope so. This is the ultimate compliment, to have respect not only from your fans but also your peers and other singers.
To have that kind of reputation and to have it to stay, it would be fantastic, and it's really nice to know that other people think that something
you yourself have is that special. It's a great feeling."

Ray Coleman: "Do you want to make an impact on pop music for posterity?"
Richard Carpenter: "Absolutely. I guess people will remember Karen more than anything, because of her voice. I feel the original success was
a great deal to do with Karen's singing more than my arrangements, but, I want us to be remembered in 50 years as the quality, contemporary
music duo."

Ray Coleman: "Do you want to make an impact on pop music for posterity?"
Richard Carpenter: "Absolutely. I guess people will remember Karen more than anything, because of her voice. I feel the original success was
a great deal to do with Karen's singing more than my arrangements, but, I want us to be remembered in 50 years as the quality, contemporary
music duo."

How nice that we're not far off their 50th anniversary and that's exactly how history is remembering them! :)

Richard Carpenter's Corvette Heads to Auction
"Everybody knows one of the Billboard Hot 100 hits released by The Carpenters. Close to You, A Song for You, Now & Then,
you name it, the Grammy-winning duo have an impressive and acclaimed discography. Richard Carpenter was also a car enthusiast,
owning several two-seater sports cars back in the day.
This 1954 Chevrolet Corvette roadster is one of them, and it will go around the auction block this weekend.."

Story here:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/r...tte-heads-to-auction-photo-gallery-96365.html

I'm pretty sure that's the same car Karen drives off the set in the opening sequence of 'The Carpenters At Christmas' special from 1977.

Quincy Jones:
"Even the Carpenters, he opines, may not have broken through with another company."
I don't think a company like CBS Records would break the Carpenters, because they were
going against the tide at the time. I remember when their producer stuck that 45 in my back pocket,
it was Ticket To Ride. I remember thinking it has a real pied-pipers- type harmony--straight out of the '40s.
They didn't change much rhythmically, so it was a very kind of traditional vocal sound--outside of Karen's solo voice.
That kind of thing I don't think a lot of labels would have taken seriously enough to pay attention to,
and nurture like A&M did."
(page, 50, A&M Records:The First 25 Years,1987).

Carpenters music, especially Richard Carpenter, prominent in new book
The Invisible Artist, Arrangers in Popular Music.

An excerpt fromThe Invisible Artist – Arrangers In Popular Music (1950-2000)

Arranging and the royalty issue by Dr. Richard Niles
"In this work, the author has transcribed 222 musical examples of the work of some of the most influential arrangers in pop and examines their significance.
In the U.S. arrangers have the opportunity to be recognized by the Grammy Awards in two categories—Best Instrumental Arrangement and Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. At least winners and nominees can use this to promote themselves and bring in more offers of work. In Britain and the rest of the world there is no such award.
The financial rewards of an arranging career are limited. Arrangers are paid a fee for each job. It’s not huge. Keep working, get jobs in every week and you can pay the mortgage. Arrangers receive no royalties unless they write an arrangement of a public domain work. Copyright consists in a melody and lyrics of a song. But even though I have only transcribed the arranger’s work, the instrumental parts, a variety of publishers own the rights to all the transcriptions in this book. In the eyes of the law, the songwriter and publisher own the rights to every note an arranger writes."

Much more here,
Source:
http://richardniles.com/arranging-and-the-royalty-issue/

Congratulations Chris May for the profile in The Desert Sun !
Carpenters inspired Chris May's music director career
"This stuff is my college education," he said, looking over his expansive collection. "As much as it's 'stuff,' but it you look at it, I don't have pennants and teddy bears ... and flags and pencils. Yeah, (the fan club) gave all of that stuff away. I didn't care about all of that stuff. Audio. This is what I packed into my brain for years and years and years so that I could write arrangements. Now, I've had some really good mentors and I've had to learn how to write music correctly and how to orchestrate music correctly and it's taken a lot of years, but it all started with Richard's influence and those albums."

Story:
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2015/06/14/storyteller-chris-may-carpenters/71220410/

Lakeland Ledger, November 22, 1975:
Tom Nolan, well-known author of Rolling Stone Horizon Review,
authored this piece on Neil Sedaka: Sedaka Has Rewarding Debut:
"..the Carpenters have asked Neil to tour with them throughout America and Japan."
"...the reaction to Sedaka at the second show must be dubbed remarkable."
" The Carpenters act includes a surprise reappearance by Neil. "
"Richard is animated. Karen is unprecedentedly loose, roaming around the stage, smiling and moving her body."
During their traditional oldies Medley, Sedaka emerges from the wings for an uptempo "Breaking Up" sung with Karen,
and a delightful duet with Richard on "What's Your Name".
"..The next night's show...Sedaka... is limited to 35 minutes. The Carpenters have also dropped from their Oldies
Medley the segment in which he appeared...also, for reasons of time?(sic.) " I assume so" , Sedaka says.

Source:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=4voDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3952,6349937&hl=en

"..The next night's show...Sedaka... is limited to 35 minutes. The Carpenters have also dropped from their Oldies
Medley the segment in which he appeared...also, for reasons of time?(sic.) " I assume so" , Sedaka says.

A sure sign of the trouble that was to come...

Lakeland Ledger, November 22, 1975:
Tom Nolan, well-known author of Rolling Stone Horizon Review,
authored this piece on Neil Sedaka: Sedaka Has Rewarding Debut:
"..the Carpenters have asked Neil to tour with them throughout America and Japan."
"...the reaction to Sedaka at the second show must be dubbed remarkable."
" The Carpenters act includes a surprise reappearance by Neil. "
"Richard is animated. Karen is unprecedentedly loose, roaming around the stage, smiling and moving her body."
During their traditional oldies Medley, Sedaka emerges from the wings for an uptempo "Breaking Up" sung with Karen,
and a delightful duet with Richard on "What's Your Name".

Source:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=4voDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3952,6349937&hl=en
Boy, would I LOVE to hear those live duets!

I had not realized that even People Magazine wrote of the 'Sedaka incident' :
October 27, 1975 ( Neil Sedaka Rebounds),
"He and the Carpenters worked together for five weeks as the hottest concert package of the summer,
but they recently fired him as their opening act in Vegas. He was getting the notices and the crowds.
But he returns next month to the Riviera Hotel as the headliner. "

I had not realized that even People Magazine wrote of the 'Sedaka incident' :
October 27, 1975 ( Neil Sedaka Rebounds),
"He and the Carpenters worked together for five weeks as the hottest concert package of the summer,
but they recently fired him as their opening act in Vegas. He was getting the notices and the crowds.
But he returns next month to the Riviera Hotel as the headliner. "
i remember at the time reading somewhere "No more Mr Nice Guy should be Richard Carpenter's new song", or something similar. It made big news.

Around the World to Sydney Australia,
Sydney Morning Herald,
October 26, 1975:
"Karen Carpenter...Nervous Exhaustion..."
"She has been confined to bed for Six Weeks..."
"The Carpenters' Las Vegas concerts were marked by a public squabble
after singer/composer Neil Sedaka was fired from the show. Sedaka claimed
he was dismissed because his act was upstaging that of the Carpenters and
receiving more applause
."

Source:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=HOcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2992,7716138&hl=en

(N.B. I am reading this entire article for the first time today.)
September 15, 1980 People Magazine
A Carpenter Ties the Knot, and Finally That Song's for Karen
When Karen and Richard Carpenter—one of the most popular sibling singing acts in recording history—cut We've Only Just Begun 10 years ago, they gave thousands of American newlyweds a favorite first-dance tune. Yet to the Carpenters, its message remained an elusive dream. Though both had had love affairs, neither could seem to find a mate. But last week in the Crystal Room of the Beverly Hills Hotel, a 50-member choir finally sang that song for Karen, 30, as she waited to join her man at the altar. Her choice: Southern California real estate tycoon Thomas Burris, 39, member of the Reagan finance committee and the boyishly handsome divorced father of an 18-year-old son. "He's just the type of guy I was looking for," said Karen after the vows, resplendent in a white gown of mousseline de soie modeled on an 18th-century riding ensemble. "He's strong and at the same time gentle, and he gets along fabulously with my family." (Burris had not been really aware of the Carpenters' music, but he probably knew the monstrous apartment complexes they owned called Close to You and We've Only Just Begun.)
Karen's mother claims credit for pushing her daughter out to a dinner party at the chic Ma Maison restaurant last April when she felt like begging off. "Go," said Mother Carpenter, three days after her own 45th wedding anniversary. "You might meet a nice man." Karen met Burris that night, by June they were engaged, and friends like Olivia Newton-John began to notice a change in Karen. "She began to relax," says Olivia, who wept throughout the ceremony. "She's a wonderful girl—and she beat me to it."
The ceremony was as lushly romantic as the Carpenters' oeuvre. As the groom stood at the altar, the scent of gardenias mixed in the air with the strains of John Bettis' and Richard's latest composition, Because We Are in Love, which they wrote for the occasion. During the ceremony, which was performed by the Rev. Robert Schuler, Richard sang a moving wedding prayer. Then there was a sit-down luncheon for 450 capped by a five-tiered chocolate cake, which Karen duly sliced for her man, unimpeded by her new 10-karat pear-shaped ring.
After a South Pacific honeymoon they will return to a two-and-a-half-acre estate in Bel Air—and their work. "We're both business-oriented," says Burris. "She likes her career and I like mine." Karen admits that while cutting their 10th album during the courtship, "I wasn't really concentrating—for the first time in 11 years." Did she worry that Mr. Right would never come along? "I was beginning to wonder," she blushed when the wedding was over, "but I waited, and look what I found."

Source:
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20077419,00.html

Spokane Chronicle, September 15,1982:
An Exchange of Entertainment,
"...new firm formed by California businessmen."
"The new company headed by Oilman Armond Hammer and entertainment mogul Jerry Weintraub."
"The new company is a joint venture between Hammer and Weintraub."
"...American projects exported to communist nations."
"Weintraub's clients may be involved in projects by the new company.
They include: John Denver, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Waylon Jennings, Wayne Newton,
Beach Boys, The Moody Blues, The Carpenters, Herb Alpert, Rick James, John Davidson,
and the Pointer Sisters."

Source:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=afkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7092,4431456&hl=en

Back
Top Bottom