Germany: 13%
France: 8%
UK: GS 7%
Digital Units:
USA: 45%
UK:10%
Japan:8%
Germany:5%

"The distribution of illegal music files... has yet to be reduced and is inflicting heavy damage on the music industry."
2014 by Value: Albums account for 19%, Singles 47% Ringtones 12% Music Videos 2% Other 22%. ( RIAJ Chart )
Source:

http://www.riaj.or.jp/e/issue/pdf/RIAJ2015E.pdf

If I may alter this thread's title, for just a moment to "Anyone See This?," I would be most appreciative. I hope that Neil (this thread's creator) and others don't mind. I had a hard time finding an appropriate place for this topic and didn't want to create a new thread. This post pertains to THE SEVENTIES on CNN, which originally aired Thursday, August 13, 2015.

My anticipation had been building for more than a week, as I had seen the omnipresent commercials on CNN for the upcoming installment of their Tom Hanks-produced series, THE SEVENTIES, this one focusing on "The Music." In the commercials, much was made of the latter part of the decade, also known as the disco era. But, surely, they will mention the number 1 American music act of the 1970s, the Carpenters. At least that's what I thought...

The program began with a prolonged discussion of the breakup of the Beatles (because I guess you can't have any discussion of pop music without mentioning them) and then went through the usual suspects Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, and Elton John. Then they spotlighted David Bowie, Carole King (a step in the right direction), Linda Ronstadt, J.D. Souther, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens (on the right track), Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Heart, Led Zeppelin, and Bruce Springsteen.

At each commercial break, I became increasingly anxious...

Next, they jumped to the disco era, and my hopes were dimmed... I started to "freak out." Tramps, Donna Summer, K.C. & the Sunshine Band, Bee Gees, Chic, and Sugarhill Gang ("Rapper's Delight"). Gulp! They mentioned the first "rap" song? "It's on and on and on on and on...." No turning back now...

After another lengthy commercial break, it was time to highlight punk music, you know the blink-and-you-missed-it trend of harsh, violent, antiestablishment genre: Iggy Pop, Ramones, Clash.

Knowing there would be "precious and few" moments left in this broadcast, could there be a possibility that they would "light up my life," come full circle, and discuss the Carpenters who ushered in the advent of soft rock music? Whose lead vocalist had an incredibly angelic, instantly recognizable, pristine voice? Whose male half was a brilliant arranger, pianist, composer, songwriter? Who won 3 Grammy Awards and had several other nominations? Who sold out concert arenas? Who dominated the singles charts in the first half of the 1970s? "But there is no joy in Mudville --- Mighty Casey had struck out." No mention of Karen and Richard, no picture, no snippet...

My disappointment in not seeing Carpenters featured during this retrospective was palpable. Narrowing a decade's worth of music to just 1 hour is undoubtedly a difficult task --- I realize that. I take some solace in the fact that others were also omitted: There was no Chicago, no Boston, no America even, no Doobie Brothers, no Bread. No Roberta Flack. No Gladys Knight. No Pips either. No Captain. No Tennille. No Simon. No Garfunkel. No Hall. No Oates. No Barry Manilow, no John Denver, no Billy Joel. No Olivia Newton-John, no Carly Simon, no Melissa Manchester, no Helen Reddy, no Barbra Streisand.

If you're still with me... :) I am comforted that I can come to this nice little "Corner" of the world, relive "the seventies," read and share information and opinions with like-minded fans who cherish and respect our beloved Karen and Richard, fans who put them on a pedestal. And my day is a little brighter.

Last edited:
If I may alter this thread's title, for just a moment to "Anyone See This?," I would be most appreciative. I hope that Neil (this thread's creator) and others don't mind. I had a hard time finding an appropriate place for this topic and didn't want to create a new thread. This post pertains to THE SEVENTIES on CNN, which originally aired Thursday, August 13, 2015.

Alter away.

Umm, not one to point out the obvious, but here I shall do anyway: It's CNN. Unfortunately, hardly a credible source for straight-forward news anymore. What appeals to the aged-out "hipsters" of yesteryear? That's what they will broadcast. Infotainment, I think they call it. If it were truly a fact-driven piece on the "70's," then I'm sure K&R would have got the proper coverage. But CNN isn't into to fact-driven stories anymore.

...If it were truly a fact-driven piece on the "70's," then I'm sure K&R would have got the proper coverage. But CNN isn't into to fact-driven stories anymore.

Thanks for your reply, Geographer! I don't wish to delve at all into politics (taboo here at the Corner). I do hold CNN at a higher level of esteem than you do, but your point is well taken! Even I have seen increasingly more entertainment, non--news-based programming at CNN, including in primetime: hence "THE SEVENTIES." And, is it just me, or is anyone else getting sick of Anthony Bourdain stuffing his face and wallowing in alcohol in his "travel" show night after night?

But I digress... As you allude, a "truly a fact-driven piece on the 70's" would be optimal!

Last edited:

My anticipation had been building for more than a week, as I had seen the omnipresent commercials on CNN for the upcoming installment of their Tom Hanks-produced series, THE SEVENTIES, this one focusing on "The Music." In the commercials, much was made of the latter part of the decade, also known as the disco era. But, surely, they will mention the number 1 American music act of the 1970s, the Carpenters. At least that's what I thought...

The program began with a prolonged discussion of the breakup of the Beatles (because I guess you can't have any discussion of pop music without mentioning them) and then went through the usual suspects Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, and Elton John. Then they spotlighted David Bowie, Carole King (a step in the right direction), Linda Ronstadt, J.D. Souther, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens (on the right track), Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Heart, Led Zeppelin, and Bruce Springsteen.

Next, they jumped to the disco era, and my hopes were dimmed... I started to "freak out." Tramps, Donna Summer, K.C. & the Sunshine Band, Bee Gees, Chic, and Sugarhill Gang ("Rapper's Delight"). Gulp! They mentioned the first "rap" song? "It's on and on and on on and on...." No turning back now...

After another lengthy commercial break, it was time to highlight punk music, you know the blink-and-you-missed-it trend of harsh, violent, antiestablishment genre: Iggy Pop, Ramones, Clash.

Knowing there would be "precious and few" moments left in this broadcast, could there be a possibility that they would "light up my life," come full circle, and discuss the Carpenters who ushered in the advent of soft rock music? Whose lead vocalist had an incredibly angelic, instantly recognizable, pristine voice? Whose male half was a brilliant arranger, pianist, composer, songwriter? Who won 3 Grammy Awards and had several other nominations? Who sold out concert arenas? Who dominated the singles charts in the first half of the 1970s? "But there is no joy in Mudville --- Mighty Casey had struck out." No mention of Karen and Richard, no picture, no snippet...

My disappointment in not seeing Carpenters featured during this retrospective was palpable. Narrowing a decade's worth of music to just 1 hour is undoubtedly a difficult task --- I realize that. I take some solace in the fact that others were also omitted: There was no Chicago, no Boston, no America even, no Doobie Brothers, no Bread. No Roberta Flack. No Gladys Knight. No Pips either. No Captain. No Tennille. No Simon. No Garfunkel. No Hall. No Oates. No Barry Manilow, no John Denver, no Billy Joel. No Olivia Newton-John, no Carly Simon, no Melissa Manchester, no Helen Reddy, no Barbra Streisand.

If you're still with me... :) I am comforted that I can come to this nice little "Corner" of the world, relive "the seventies," read and share information and opinions with like-minded fans who cherish and respect our beloved Karen and Richard, fans who put them on a pedestal. And my day is a little brighter.
I knew this series was coming - & I applaud that you were front and center wishin' & hopin' and thinkin' & prayin'...

CNN / SH-MEE NN! The broadcast should have mentioned the number one selling American duo of the decade. Shame on Mr. Hanks for the omission. Sounds like A&M also got shafted without a mention of the number one selling live album of the decade either, with Frampton Comes Alive.

No matter the legacy, no matter the sales, no matter the quality, it sickens me that Karen & Richard still don't receive the amount of true & lasting consistent recognition they so rightfully deserve... (R & R Hall of Fame, anyone???)

...it sickens me that Karen & Richard still don't receive the amount of true & lasting consistent recognition they so rightfully deserve...

I'm glad I'm not alone, Barry. Hanks et al. performed a disservice, not only to the Carpenters and their fans but also to the facts. And you're right: Frampton Comes Alive should have been highlighted, too, as that album was quite a phenomenon, certainly on a par with Springsteen.

Producers (and radio programmers, for that matter) can attempt to offer a skewed vision of a decade, but history cannot be altered (even if a Corner thread title can be temporarily)... :)

Last edited:
The 2009 NPR Interview:
Q(Terri Gross)Do you think your sister Karen realized what a good voice she had,
or do you think because it was such a natural thing for her, that she just took it for granted and didn't understand what a gift she had?

Richard Carpenter
:
" I've have been asked that, plenty, and I've thought about it, plenty.
Karen, at once, could realize that she could do just about anything vocally.
And when it came to recording, as far as punching in or anything, she just knew, both of us knew, we can do that.
So, to me, Karen, at once, both knew just what an instrument she possessed and a gift, at the same time, I don't really know.
I tend to think - no. It's very hard - it's hard for me to answer, I'll tell you
."

Gross: I can understand that.

Richard Carpenter: "And, you know, being human we do tend to take things for granted. So, I honestly can't answer that one. I've tried."

Gross: All right.

Richard Carpenter: "I mean, I've tried before - not quite certain."

Source:
http://www.wbur.org/npr/120760959

Karen being extraordinarily gifted must have known the Grammy's weren't for being a wimp. Interviewed Karen commented. ..paraphrasing. ..I just open my mouth and out it comes. Honestly if I can judge my vocal abilities I know where I sit exactly
Not a Grammy in sight.

IN MEMORIAM:
By FREDERICK M. WINSHIP, United Press International | Sept. 23, 1983

Pop rock musician Richard Carpenter says he will release the last album he made with his late sister, Karen, in October,
and will promote it through appearances like one he made this week -- dedicating a Strolee infant products factory in Church Hill, Tenn., to her.

Carpenter said he will not try to put the duet's backup band together again and replace his sister with another vocalist.
'I don't think anyone else can take Karen's place,' Carpenter told reporters.
Instead, he will travel around the country promoting 'Voice of the Heart,' the album Miss Carpenter finished recording before her death last February.

Source:
http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/09/23/IN-MEMORIAM/6791433137600/

A bit of an excursion--from the Wall Street Journal, but, of some interest:

The Physicist Who’s Saving the Music

Carl Haber is working to scan information off the surfaces of antique recordings so computers can allow them to be heard
Aug. 21, 2015 11:04 a.m. ET

Fifteen years ago, while languishing in traffic between Berkeley, Calif., and Silicon Valley,Carl Haber tuned in to a radio interview with Mickey Hart, the former Grateful Dead drummer turned music preservationist. Dr. Haber, a particle physicist, listened as Mr. Hart discussed his concern over historic audio recordings that were deteriorating. “He was talking about how sound recordings are on these fragile materials,” Dr. Haber recalls. “So it was kind of a challenge, sort of a plea.”
Dr. Haber thought he could help. At the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where he was developing equipment for the Large Hadron Collider, the world’s most powerful particle accelerator, he had been using precision optical tools to measure devices that would help to track subatomic particles.
He wasn’t looking to apply science to music. “I’d been thinking not of sound recordings at all,” he says, “just of using imaging and pictures as ways of extracting information from things, which is something that’s very native to physics.”
But when he heard the radio interview, he says, “It just occurred to me: If we could turn these sound recordings Mickey Hart was talking about into pictures, we could treat them as large data sets that we could analyze on the computer and extract information from.”
Since 2002, Dr. Haber and several colleagues have been able to play back and restore some of the world’s oldest and rarest recorded sounds. Using a system of optical probes and cameras that they created and dubbed IRENE—for “Image, Reconstruct, Erase Noise, Etcetera” but also in honor of an early test that they did on a 1950 recording of “Goodnight, Irene” by the Weavers—they can scan and pull information off of the surfaces of antique recordings and create huge images, each several gigabytes in size.
A computer then extracts information from the images, which allows the recordings to be heard. “It’s a noninvasive, risk-free way to play things that were either delicate or unplayable,” Dr. Haber says.
Some of those delicate things are wax cylinders, lacquer and metal disks, plastic belts and even sheets of tin foil—cutting-edge technology from the past. The sounds that they hold include early, experimental voice recordings made by Alexander Graham Bell and his father in the 1880s.
The IRENE technologies also allow scientists to virtually remove defects from these old recordings—“essentially digging below the noise” for clearer playback, Dr. Haber says, even when the original media are damaged.

More for those interested:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-physicist-whos-saving-the-music-1440169464

Billboard, November 17,1973 (page C-5 Carpenters' Supplement):
Couple their musical intention with their public relations image....and instant establishment success.
Richard Carpenter: "We've had to put up with a great deal of the social image thing...It's mostly garbage
that came from our early literature. I never cared for it, and still don't...pushing this ridiculously clean
image that hardly anybody is."

More:
https://books.google.com/books?id=FAkEAAAAMBAJ

UT Austin....not only a fantastic physics department, but Carpenters' album review/Photo,
Today, August 25,2015:
CHRIS DUNCAN
Editor’s note: In this recurring column, music writer Chris Duncan suggests two albums to listen to this week.
Have a suggestion? Send a tweet to @chr_dunc, and your pick might appear in next week’s Two Albums To Listen To.

A Song for You – Carpenters

For a duo defined by its greatest hits compilation, the Carpenters have surprising breadth.

Before releasing their fourth album in 1972, Karen and Richard Carpenter never focused heavily on album quality but instead chose to produce singles. At this point in their careers, the Carpenters were a bit of an anomaly — their sound didn’t fit in with the guitar-heavy rock everyone else was playing, yet their success was immense.

A Song For You was nothing like their previous efforts.
The record is built with a focus on becoming a cohesive work rather than a radio success.
Although some of their most popular hits came from A Song for You, every song in between is still a worthwhile listen.

Music fans commonly associated the Carpenters with the duo’s clean and quirky image, but this album brought a new focus to their music.

Tracks to listen to:Top of the World,” “Hurting Each Other,” “Goodbye to Love”.

Source:
https://www.dailytexanonline.com/20...o-a-career-defining-record-and-a-free-release

Watch the Video....wherein Karen Carpenter appears now & then,
Deeply English - and deeply odd - psychedelia...
ROBIN MURRAY
NEWS
28 · 08 · 2015
Corey Bowen
is blessed with a supremely active imagination.
Still only 19 years old, the Middlesbrough native has been making music since he was just 13. Recently touring alongside Christopher Owens, Corey made a stellar turn at this year's Green Man festival.
Debut single 'If Birds With To Fly' is out this month, and it's a deeply English – and deeply odd – piece of psychedelic pop music.
Reference points could include Syd Barrett, Tame Impala, The Move and Ty Segall, but really Corey Bowen sounds like himself.
Clash is able to premiere the video for 'If Birds Wish To Fly' and it's a bizarre yet eye-catching clip.
Corey: “I knew I wanted to incorporate Moonbeam (the main character) into it as it is something I've been playing around with in writing for a while and knew there had to be some sort of dream girl in it so I chose Karen Carpenter because she's gorgeous and I absolutely adore her. I wanted the video to be as extraordinary as possible whilst using as little resources as possible. I didn't want to just make any old music video that you see all the time.
I think, kinda loosely, that it has a great storyline which can evoke emotion and feeling. It's a love story.”

Source&MusicVideo:
http://www.clashmusic.com/news/premiere-corey-bowen-if-birds-wish-to-fly

I heard of this broadcast myself -- reading your post, I'm glad I didn't find out when it was airing and tune in. I would have been thoroughly disappointed. The Carpenters are among those who have a blind eye turned to them; this hurts for fans like us (especially in the US) where Karen and Rich are constantly ignored in their own decade. I'd like to know how they don't make the ratings cut for radio play -- are the radio audiences descendants of Rolling Stone critics or something?? My older coworkers love the Carpenters and loved when I played them at the office. Our beloved duo definitely have the caliper of those like Carole King, Cat Stevens, Linda, and the Jackson 5.

At least other greats like the ones you listed didn't make this cut too, and that lessens the sting. There has to be a documentary of seventies music that fairly represents the entire decade, instead of mentioning the populars and then jumping right into disco (there is more to the decade than that!).

I heard of this broadcast myself -- reading your post, I'm glad I didn't find out when it was airing and tune in...

Hello, Then in Jar a Bit! :) (I've been wanting to say that since I first saw you on here...). Anyway, theninjarabbit, thanks for reading my post and commenting on it! The lack of respect for Karen and Richard is annoying. It's a shame, as you say, that they "are constantly ignored in their own decade." I agree with your point about the Carpenters not making the "ratings cut for radio play" as well. It's revisionist history gone amok! So nice to see them get their due here and elsewhere...

Last edited:
CSULB Faculty Member Pens a Brief History of Long Beach State
By Richard Manly • September 1, 2015

From its humble beginnings with 13 full-time faculty members educating a group of 160 students, California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) has grown exponentially over the decades and Long Beach State: A Brief History written by Barbara Kingsley-Wilson,
provides a unique look back into the 66-year history of the university. The book, published by the History Press, is available now.
“This is a book that focuses on the people and personalities who grew the university,” said Kingsley-Wilson, a lecturer in CSULB’s Department of Journalism.
“These are the people who brought CSULB from nothing, a campus with a few rehabbed departments with no books, with faculty who had to rake debris out of the way to teach their classes, into one of the largest educational institutions in the state.”
Established in 1949 as Los Angeles-Orange County State College, CSULB now enrolls the third largest student body of any campus in the California State University system with more than 37,500 students. The university also employs approximately 4,200 faculty and staff members and boasts a network of 300,000 living alumni.
Rather than attempt to serve as a comprehensive history of the university, A Brief Historyinstead sheds light on the beginnings of some of the university’s most well-known places and faces including the origin of the university’s iconic J. Walter Pyramid, home to the men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball teams, and unique characters including university presidents and now-famous students who attended the CSULB such as musicians Richard and Karen Carpenter and actor/comedian Steve Martin. It also includes how the battle cry of “Go Beach” became popular and how ancient Native American remains and history affected the campus and its development.
Kingsley, who has been a faculty member since 2004, was previously a professional journalist with more than two decades of experience covering courts, crime, education and sports for the Orange County Register, the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Rochester Times-Union.
She serves as an advisor for the Daily 49er, CSULB’s award-winning student newspaper.

Source:
http://web.csulb.edu/sites/newsatth...r-pens-a-brief-history-of-long-beach-state-2/

May 26,1971
Observer-Reporter:
Carpenters Hit With Soft, Fat Harmony
Richard Carpenter....
"I'm not much for two-part singing, I love fat harmonies."
"I liked to listen to hard Rock, but the soft stuff was natural for us."
"You can't have a set of pipes like Karen has got and not eventually have a hit."
"I always thought we were going to have a hit record."
On Rainy Days and Mondays...."Karen liked it better....It didn't knock me down, but it
merited another play...the more I played it, the better I liked it...it's a grow song."

Source:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=fF4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=813,4183684&hl=en

This may be of some slight interest.....
What 'Mastered For iTunes' Really Means
MARCH 05, 2012
(And ,Complete Article)Source:
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2012/02/24/147379760/what-mastered-for-itunes-really-means

"You could say that the story of the recording industry over the last decade and a half — the era since the MP3 rattled its game plan — has been a struggle to find a balance between the consumer's demand for widespread access to music, the artist's desire for high-quality product and the industry's need for compensation."
----
"Over and over, technology has changed both the way we record sound and the way we listen to it. New formats are greeted with fanfare, but often, in the first years after supposed advancements, recordings suffer as technicians adapt old techniques. Early CDs were just digital versions of recordings mastered for vinyl, and sounded terrible. Recording engineers adapted, which triggered a craze for remastering (and repackaging, and re-purchasing) those albums for the new format. But MP3s have always been seen by the industry — and many consumers — as a transitional product of compromised quality."
----
"The music you listen to, no matter what the format, sounds worse than it does in the studio where it was recorded. That's not just because musicians and recording engineers have better equipment than you do, but because the recordings themselves contain more information. Today, most studio tracks are recorded at 24 bits. The process of mastering a recording is taking the raw, mixed song and copying it to another format, with adjustments in the amount of information that can be transferred to the new medium and attendant tweaks to ensure it sounds as good as possible given the new format's limitations. The music on standard commercial CDs is encoded at 16 bits."
-----
"Even so, the slightly compressed digital files on CDs are called "lossless" files because you can still take the quality down another step and have something most people enjoy listening to. When you rip a song from a CD into iTunes as a "lossy" file like an MP3 (or AAC, Apple's preferred format), you're using a compression codec, a program designed to eliminate the parts of the sound in a song that you don't notice or can't hear.
The triumph of MP3 and AAC formats is that they remove an enormous amount of the information contained within a recording without making it sound like they're removing an enormous amount of information. When we listen to a digital file (especially on a better sound system), we might be able to tell that something is missing, but that something might be so peripheral to what we think of as enjoyable about music that we're willing to trade the slight downgrade in quality for the huge step up in convenience."

Ever so slightly off topic, instead of "anyone read this",
has "anyone seen this?" , on youtube, with about 335 views--
I believe the Colin Carpenter doing ice-bucket challenge at the
backyard of the Richard Carpenter homestead (November 2014).
No link here, it's easy to locate under his name.
Amusing, though.

Amusing Anecdote from
Spin Magazine, June 1985:
"Legend has it that one bright sunny afternoon in Cleveland,Ohio, a
poor, hapless soul wandered into an underground record store toting a
Carpenters album. The clerk took one look at the guy, then the record,
pulled a gun and chased poor, hapless down the block...threatening his
life , limbs and manhood should he dare darken their step again.
The moral of the story is, if you're looking for Styx, Journey or
Carpenters' records, you'd best not visit the places mentioned here."

Source:
https://books.google.com/books?id=16jp_aFRHdgC

Back
Top Bottom