• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Anyone read this?

Walkinat9

Here's another mention of their name at the West Coast premiere of movie "Goodbye Mr. Chips" (in Ray Coleman's "Untold Story" book on pages 81-82).

Premiere "Goodbye Mr. Chips", from the Valley Times, November 7, 1969 (just realized that the British date notation would be 7-Eleven 🙃)

Live TV coverage that night, so I keep wondering if there would've been some shots of Karen & Richard as well. Apparently it was taped, since it aired again the next few days. Unfortunately I haven't been able (yet?) to find anything of that program on YouTube.

TV listing from the Valley Times, December 7, 1969.

And this is what Petula Clark must have looked like when she walked up to the bandstand to congratulate them (scroll a bit down towards the middle of the page).

West Coast premiere "Goodbye Mr. Chips" on Petula Clark's website

I wonder what Karen & Richard played that night. I'm pretty sure that "Ticket To Ride" was on their setlist...

GaryAlan

Here is a recent (Feb 21, 2021) comment by, none other than, Alice Cooper:
"...even in the hardest rock times, the most metal times, I challenged almost every one of the metal guys by saying,
“Okay—guilty pleasure. I guarantee you that 70% of you either have Saturday Night Fever or The Carpenters’ Greatest Hits somewhere in your collection.” "Because, first of all, Saturday Night Fever was the Sgt. Pepper of disco—it went beyond disco, and every song was so good on that record. "
"They were just great songs. And same thing with The Carpenters."
Source:

Portlander

Alice Copper has been a Carpenters fan for a long time. During the Pebble Beach Pro Am many years ago he was interviewed live during the tournament and was asked what he was listening to at the moment on his iPod and he said the Carpenters! The interviewer was surprised by this and asked why and he responded by saying because they're great. In addition, he would play "Goodbye to Love" on occasion during his nationally syndicated rock oriented radio show as a tribute to the duo. There is a long list of heavy metal/rock artists that have expressed their appreciation for the Carpenters over the years and if Carole King and Dionne Warwick get inducted into the R&RHOF this year there would be no reason for the Carpenters to not make the cut in the future.

Last edited:

A&M Retro

Alice Copper has been a Carpenters fan for a long time. During the Pebble Beach Pro Am many years ago he was interviewed live during the tournament and was asked what he was listening to at the moment on his iPod and he said the Carpenters! The interviewer was surprised by this and asked why and he responded by saying because they're great. In addition, he would play "Goodbye to Love" on occasion during his nationally syndicated rock oriented radio show as a tribute to the duo. There is a long list of heavy metal/rock artists that have expressed their appreciation for the Carpenters over the years and if Carole King and Dionne Warwick get inducted into the R&RHOF this year there would be no reason for the Carpenters to not make the cut in the future.
BAM! Perfectly stated!

GaryAlan

More acclaim:
Carpenters ranked #1 of "most iconic duos of all time": "Total songs on Hot 100= 27,
Americans looking to escape the political messaging in music of the divisive 1960s and 1970s
found a safe place in the soothing soft-rock sound of brother and sister duo Karen and Richard Carpenter
who generated a cavalcade of hits in the 1970s."
Here is the entire artist list:

Portlander

Though I'm pleased with the Carpenters placement, I'm surprised that Hall and Oates were not in the top spot. The only edge I would give the Carpenters over them would be the number of #1 AC hits and overall worldwide record sales.

GaryAlan

^^Hall and Oates really are brilliant in their genre, so it really is difficult (and, of course, subjective)
to have any "list" which captures all elements of any particular duo.
I did a one-time comparison of today's kworb charts, Carpenters versus Hall and Oates:
You Make My Dreams
iTunes:
#551 United Kingdom
Apple Music:
#194 Sweden
#211 Australia
#241 New Zealand
#251 Denmark
#265 Ireland
#441 Netherlands
#798 United Kingdom
Album: The Very Best of Daryl Hall & John Oates
iTunes:
#468 United States
Apple Music:
#1213 United States
Album: The Singles
iTunes:
#520 United Kingdom

Portlander

Excellent real time comparison. This also shows the huge disparity in international success which is clearly an advantage for the Carpenters. Hall and Oates also never won a Grammy, though they did win three American Music Awards compared to one by the Carpenters. Which duo is more iconic, tough call in my opinion. However, when is comes down to which "individual" is more of an icon, Karen wins over Daryl Hall with Richard and John finishing in a distant 3rd and 4th!

GaryAlan

Interestingly enough, the site called "ranker" has (as of March 2021)
Carpenters #4 for "best music duos." Ahead of Karen and Richard we find
Lennon and McCartney, Simon and Garfunkel, Hall and Oates.
Here:

Portlander

Lennon and McCartney were a great song writing team which I guess would classify them as a "musical" duo which the article suggests. I like Simon and Garfunkel but their accomplishments while they recorded together are not up to par with the Carpenters. By the way, the Carpenters have just fallen to #5 after being overtaken by Elton John and Bernie Taupin as I'm typing this! The Carpenters were obviously not a song writing duo and would not make the cut if that was the primary qualifier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom