Anything Goes - Billboard Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Anything Goes bumped up to 13 on the Billboard Jazz Album chart from 28. It peaked at 7 and has been charting for 6 weeks.

At first when I saw the album go down the charts for a couple of weeks it made me wonder if they had released the CD a little too soon. But now that the tour is back in action I hope the sales will increase.

Capt. Bacardi

I think the interview with Tavis Smiley, CBS and the tour will get things started.

I think they really need to step it up a notch and perform live with the band on some of the bigger late-night shows.

Saturate them all.

Interviews are okay, but they would connect so much more if they would stretch out and play live.

Well, Leno isn't late night any more, so they should do that show and then also get on Letterman. He's beating Conan in the ratings now and is more in the news than ever before, lately.

The late shows always have bands of twenty-something year olds with grungy shirts and jeans, dirty hair, that scream their latest into the mike.

Maybe Alpert and Hall could host SNL. How cool would that be? later...JO

I always thought that the Alpert/Masekela tour should've been on SNL back in '78. The crowd would've been perfect for that group.

Herb & Lani could still do the new Leno show, which is on earlier than the late night shows and could give them more exposure. But any show would be welcomed.

Capt. Bacardi

The late shows always have bands of twenty-something year olds with grungy shirts and jeans, dirty hair, that scream their latest into the mike.
Apparently you haven't watched Letterman much. He frequently has "classic" acts along with the newer ones.

Okay, here's a question. Most late night shows will let a musical act perform only one song. If Herb and Lani were to be on one of these shows and can only do one song, which song should they perform?

For me I'd like them to do "Para Raio" since it gives both some limelight and it's an upbeat and festive tune.

Capt. Bacardi

While I absolutely love Para Raio, I think they need the TV appearance to break out a single to jazz radio. My 1st choice would be Morning Coffee, then Fascinating Rhythm.

Captain Bacardi said:
Okay, here's a question. Most late night shows will let a musical act perform only one song. If Herb and Lani were to be on one of these shows and can only do one song, which song should they perform?

Freight Train Joe! :goodie:

I would vote for "Fascinating Rhythm."

- Well known song
- Good showcase for both Herb and Lani
- Interesting (and catchy!) arrangement
- It's the leadoff track on the album

Then when they get a standing ovation, they could encore with "Morning Coffee." It'd be a good TV song too -- if they appeared on a morning show that would be a good tune.

The album has fallen out of the Top 25 according to the online Billboard chart. Once the tour resumes I would expect it to pick up some more steam.

Capt. Bacardi

Has the album reached the charts again yet? I certainly hope so, and here's hoping it will rereach them for a run culminating in at least a couple weeks at the top. Album certainly deserves it.

Anything Goes re-entered the Jazz Chart last Saturday at #21. Just goes to show you how a tour can help the sales of a release.

Capt. Bacardi

I think they count, as long as the data is submitted. I remember when Prince "gave away" one of his albums at concerts -- one free CD per ticket purchased. Result: His first top 10 album in about 15 years.

Okay, so as long as we're talking about chart positions and the like, have any of the individual songs charted on a Jazz Track chart or anything of that nature (if such a thing exists)?

On line Billboard only shows the top15 Jazz Songs and top 25 Jazz Albums. I have not seen any songs from this CD chart yet. Unfortunately, the album moved out of the top 25. :sad:

As the tour moves to New York City and then heads out to the populous West Coast, you might again see a move on the charts.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom