• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Hudson-Ford NICKELODEON (A&M SP 3616)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Hudson-Ford
NICKELODEON

A&M SP3616

sp3616.jpg

Richard Hudson (percussion/vocals) and John Ford (bass/vocals) were members of the Strawbs from 1970-73 and later joined Velvet Opera. Rick Wakeman contributed to this set, which included the single "Pick Up the Pieces" and "This is Not the Way to End a War (or to Die)."

SIDE ONE
Crying Blues/Angels/I Wanted You/Hello, I Thought You Were Dead/Solitude/Dark Lord

SIDE TWO
Pick Up the Pieces/ Let Her Cry/ Tea Leaf (to Joss)/ Take it Back/ I Don't Understand/ Revelation.

All tracks written by Hudson & Ford.

The cover art can be viewed at:
www.strawbsweb.co.uk/@f/f_hford.htm

The album also was assigned the number "SP 4426."
Two more A&M albums were released by the duo (and another on CBS Records), which disbanded in 1977.
JB

A copy of Free Spirit was found in a bin of Contemporary Christian/Gospel/Inspirational albums... I was sure the "Gas Container" (A Plastic Safety-Can) on that cover was RED...

Is there that sort of a bent to these guys? The song-titles seem to suggest and remind me of such...!

Dave

The American version of this LP substitutes "Burn Baby Burn," which has an environmental protection theme, for "Solitude" on side one. I believe "Burn" was also released as a single.

Nothing Christian/Gospel about these guys, just good, straight-ahead, very, very catchy pop rock, with a little progressive thrown in (the silly "Dark Lord"). "Angels," "I Wanted You" and "Let Her Cry" are particularly Beatlesque, while "Pick Up the Pieces" should have been a hit. My favorite is "I Don't Understand," a lovely acoustic ballad with lush harmonies that gives way to "Revelations," a haunting tune about young people leaving behind an apparently uninhabitable earth for who knows what in the great beyond. OK, that sounds silly too. Great song, though, with a superb build-up of voices at the end.

Amusing cover art, too. The caption on the front-cover picture reads, "Nick!" "Hello, Dionne," a tortured pun on the album title.

Nice album. I found it cheap on eBay. Worth checking out.

Tom

Just joined A&M Corner. I run the Strawbs website at www.strawbsweb.co.uk and work with Dave Cousins on the Strawbs' Witchwood Media label.

Reason for posting here is that Witchwood are hoping to release a Hudson Ford Best Of CD before too long.

Dick Greener
Strawbsweb

Glad to hear this and would like to see the complete A&M albums released. Maybe they'd fit in a two-disc set. Just a thought.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom