• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Melvin Van Peebles AS SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK (4326)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Melvin Van Peebles
AS SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK

A&M SP4326

sp4326.jpg

Country Side (1)
Rufus and Ruby 7:58/ *Mothers Prayer 4:03/ The Country Brother and the City Sister 6:16/ Chippin' 2:55

City Side (2)
Just Don't Make No Sense 4:47/ Dear Mistuh P 2:43/ Love That's America 4:23/ I Remember 4:54/ My Pal Johnny 4:09.

*Rhetta Hughes - guest vocalist
Doug Carn, keyboards/ John Boudreaux Jr., drums/ Tom Scott & Albert Hall, horns/ William Henderson, strings/ Clydie King, Venetta Fields, Rhetta Hughes, Jessica Smith, background voices.

Engineers - Robert Appere (recording and mix), Dick Burns (mix)
Produced and conceived by Melvin Van Peebles, who wrote all words and music
All selections published by Almo Music Corp. & Yeah, Inc. ASCAP except "Love That's America" (Colgems Music ASCAP)

Art direction Roland Young/ Album design Chuck Beeson/ Photography Jim McCrary

CD reissue: The 1997 English A&M 2-disc compilation RATED X BY AN ALL-WHITE JURY (31454 06942) contains BRER SOUL (SP 4161), AIN'T SUPPOSED TO DIE A NATURAL DEATH (SP 4223) and AS SERIOUS ... (SP 4326) in their entirety.

JB

Robert Appere . . . I seem to recall the name . . . I.I.N.M., he co-produced Neil Sedaka's string of 1970's hits (i.e. "Laughing In The Rain," "Bad Blood," the balladified recasting of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"). Moreover, in the case of the "Bad Blood" and "Love In The Shadows" 45's (as in my collection), A&M Studios handled the lacquer mastering.

Ah, well, Appere (how DO you pronounce his name??!!) is a tremendous engineer, and I think owner of Clover Recorders in Hollywood.

He engineered Neil Sedaka, The Cate Brothers, as well as Yvonne Elliman and those early Earth, Wind & Fire albums. I have him as an engineer on a few tracks on Renee Armand's RAIN BOOK and a few tracks on Shawn Phillips' FACES and SPACED albums, as well as the title track of Phillips' BRIGHT WHITE. And the one A&M LP with a full blown "Produced & Engineered by Robert Appere" production is Randy Richard's S/T LP, A&M SP 4678. And seek out session-keyboardist Craig Doerge's S/T album on Columbia, too.

Dave

Coming soon(May 28th) to an art house theatre near(or far)from you:"Baadassss!"-a telling of Melvin's making of 1971's "Sweet Sweetback's BaadasssSong",(a movie believed to be the cornerstone of black independent filmaking),starring and directed by Melvin's son,Mario. A noted film at Sundance and Toronto film festivalsl,it also has a showing coming up April 15th & 19th in Philly. This could be an interesting story. Wonder if any A&M details make it into the story? Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom