Article about Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Here's a great little article I saw this morning, this shows a completely different side to Richard!!

SEQUEL: FOUR YEARS AFTER HIS SISTER KAREN'S DEATH, SINGER RICHARD CARPENTER MAKES HIS DEBUT AS A SOLO ACT

Richard Carpenter, the male half of the successful brother-sister singing duo, the Carpenters, still looks the same: 6 ft. tall, 160 lean pounds, a boyish smile. But at least two things have changed since the tragic day four and a half years ago when his sister, Karen, died, the victim of a heart attack brought about by an eight-year battle with anorexia. On the professional front, Carpenter released his first solo LP, Time, last month.

But it's the home-front news that has Carpenter most excited: Eight weeks ago, at age 40, he became a father for the first time -- and simultaneously a bowl of mush. ''He was never real interested in having children,'' says Mary, 30, his wife of three years. ''But when we decided to get married, I told him I really wanted to have children. He said yes, so we started trying last year. Now that Kristi Lynn is here, he adores her. He was in the delivery room. He saw her before I did, changed her before I did. He's a real good father.''

Record business wisdom would have Carpenter go out on tour to support his new LP, but he plans to stay home for a while, he says, ''because I don't want to leave my baby yet.'' The album is a departure for Carpenter, who in the past always sang backup to Karen's lead vocal on such hits as Close to You and Yesterday Once More. That pattern continued in two Carpenter LPs released since Karen's death: Voice of the Heart, which used vocals that Karen had recorded from 1980 to '82; and a Christmas album with material left over from their 1978 Christmas album.

On the new LP, Richard sings lead on six of the 10 songs. Lead vocals on the others come from Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield and a 16-year-old newcomer named Scott Grimes, who remembers the Carpenter hit We've Only Just Begun as ''the very first song I sang publicly, at a wedding when I was 7.''

''My intention was to get back into my music and create something new,'' says Carpenter. ''I loved working with our older music, the Carpenter things, remixing them for CDs and all that. But I'm very much into the future too.'' Still, the past was hard to forget, especially when Carpenter started to record alone for the first time. ''It struck home anew that Karen was no longer with us, and I found that very upsetting, '' he says. ''Here I was, working alone when we had always been a team, working with the same engineer, the same musicians and in the same studios, and no Karen.''

In Love Alone, recorded on the new album, was written in 1982 especially for Karen by Richard and lyricist John Bettis, but she didn't live to hear it. ''We'd invited Karen | to a Christmas party we were having here so we could play it for her,'' says Richard. ''But it was pouring pitchforks, and she didn't want to drive all the way from her apartment. I never really saw her by a piano after that where I could play it for her. She died the following February.''

Says Warwick of singing In Love Alone: ''It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done; listening to it is still difficult. But I'm thrilled Richard has gotten himself together and is making pretty music again.'' A little over a year after Karen's death, Richard and Mary decided to get married, after a long, roller-coaster courtship.

They first met in 1975 when Mary's brother, the Carpenters' former road manager, brought her backstage in Las Vegas. ''We hit it off at that very first meeting,'' says Mary, ''so I decided to move out here from Baltimore. I got a job in a bank, and we stayed together. He wanted to get married when we first met, but I didn't because I was only 18, and I wasn't ready. Then when I was ready, he wasn't. We went back and forth like that for quite a while.''

Nine years later, after Mary had moved back to Baltimore to live with her parents, Richard visited at Christmastime and proposed. They tied the knot on May 19, 1984. They now live in Richard's comfortable but unassuming home in Downey, Calif., just minutes away from his parents, who take every opportunity to visit their only grandchild.

Asked how he has changed, Carpenter, who is about as laid back as Carpenter's music, replies, ''Not much -- I'm still working with the same people. I'm still in the same house, still near my parents.'' Yet when the talk turns to marriage and fatherhood, he gets darn close to gushy. ''Everything my friends and parents told me about having a child is true,'' says Carpenter. ''It's absolutely wonderful. We definitely plan more, two or three. This is great.''

Stephen, I loved reading this, but am wondering where it was originally published. I'm gonna' add this to my Carpenters collection, but would like to have the publisher's credit to add to it.

Thanks,

Marilyn

I think it was the For A Song section in People magazine. I thought that it was written with the wrong voice and perspective.

Craig

"They first met in 1975 when Mary's brother, the Carpenters' former road manager, brought her backstage in Las Vegas. ''We hit it off at that very first meeting,'' says Mary, ''so I decided to move out here from Baltimore. I got a job in a bank, and we stayed together. He wanted to get married when we first met, but I didn't because I was only 18, and I wasn't ready. Then when I was ready, he wasn't. We went back and forth like that for quite a while.''

I don't understand this paragraph. How is it that they first met in 1975 when she was 18, when they're actually cousins and grew up in a close knit family on the East Coast? Was this put in to deflect from the cousins/marriage issue, or is there something I'm not getting here?
:?:

Just guessing here: Isn't it possible that even though they may have met at a family gathering when they were younger, perhaps the Baltimore contingent of the family wasn't all that close? Perhaps the "meeting" in 1975 refers to their first meeting as adults. Again, just a guess.

Harry
...getting back in the swing of things, online...

Would Expect Richard and Mary Did Meet Earlier as Family Visited Baltimore Every Year ....Probably This Refers to M & R , Romantic History When Mary Resided in California for Several Years :confused:

From This Article, Richard was Interested in Marriage c 1976 /1977 and Mary c1979/1980 , Mary Felt She was Too Young Initially and Richard's Health Problems Precluded Any Wedding in 1979 :sad:

When You Meet Richard and Mary in Person or See Their Body Language , This is an Well Matched Partnership , Supportive of Each Other etc. Given Carpenters Schedules , Careers etc , Wiser to Wait Until Both Had Time for Marriage :)

Incidentially Families Quite Often Do Not Meet All Members For Many Years , I only Met Three First Cousins at 19 .....So Richard May Have Met Several Relatives Much Later On ..... :o

Peter....More Relatives to Discover ....?

Is Mary Rudolph the sister of Mark Rudolph, who is the radio caller in the Oldies Medley on the NOW AND THEN album?

Bruno

I believe so, Bruno. They are both the children of Bernice Rudolph of Baltimore, who is Agnes Carpenter's sister.

I think Peter is right on target about Richard and Mary meeting earlier. But, she may have matured since the last time he saw her and all of a sudden there was romantic interest.

Bruno, did you ever manage to get a copy of the Coleman book? I look in the 2 Barnes and Noble bookstores to see if they have a copy in their sale bin, but no luck.

Marilyn,
who has at least 4 or 5 second cousins she's never met!

I'm glad to report to you, Marylin, that after waiting for months, I finally got a copy of Coleman's book!! Through amazon.de.

But I must admit, I haven't had enough time yet to read it from start to finish. Mainly, because I'm so involved with my job, that I come home at night and I'm just to tired to do anything.

Since Monday, I have vacation!! So I hope to catch up on some reading books and some listening to music. I'm planning to drive to Sylt, which is a beautiful island north of Hamburg, but both the mother and the father of the friend I'm travelling with, are critically ill, so perhaps we will have to cancel this.

This is not a good year for me. In April we had planned a week in Prague, but had to cancel it, because my father died after having suffered several strokes within only two weeks. :sad:
My mother is very down, because this August my parents would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

So, things can only get better!

Bruno

I watched the MANILOW LIVE DVD yesterday, and it really lifted my spirits. :)

Oh, I'm so glad you were able to get a copy of the Coleman book, Bruno! I must say, though, that the subject under discussion here about Richard and Mary and their courtship is not covered at all! I think this forum is a great source of information.

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's death, Bruno. Not to have been able to celebrate their 50th anniversary must have been a very great disappointment to your mother.

Try to enjoy your vacation and relax as much as you can.

Marilyn

Thanks very much, Marylin, I will try to.

You know what? You are the nicest person in this forum, in my opinion. :)

Bruno

Few are the choices we are given, the sands of time pass quickly by.....

Thanks very much for the compliment, Bruno! I think there are many really wonderful people on this forum. And there are certainly those who have such knowledge and expertise and from whom I've learned so much!

Marilyn, who's a little pink-faced at the moment! :oops:

That article is old news! It appeared in PEOPLE magazine in October,1987.Incidentally,Richard made a big mistake recording that album.His misguided attempt at trying to be "current" and "Top 40" turned out to be one of the most forgettable albums in A&M RECORDS history.

Old news for some, not all mrJ. Don't forget there are new fans on here who haven't had the chance to trawl through archive material, so something like this is a nice find.

Then there are those fans like myself who have been interested in the Carpenters since 1969 or 1970 who totally ignored a lot of the tripe that magazines used to put out and just didn't have the time to go to all the stores searching for sometimes nonexistent articles on their favorite entertainers. We also didn't have the internet then or this forum to learn anything new. One of the things I love about this forum is that new albums are announced quickly and many people are willing to share their time and expertise with us. If something new comes along, there's always someone here who knows about it and writes a post! It's great!

Thanks, Stephen, for posting this magazine article!

Marilyn,
who wishes the price of gasoline would come back down! :mad:

Thanks again, Stephen. ( I hope you will see. )
I am very glad to read your post.
I was happy to know Ricarhd came to Japan when the baby became seven months old and come to be able to travel to Japan. I could not go to Top of the World I , nor to II next year. I can go to Richard's concerts only when he comes to Japan.
Morevover I read old Carpenters Fan Club Newsletters again and had a good time. I don't remember that it was mentioned that Richard met Mary in 1975 in newsletter. I have known Richard and Cubby's rented cars and keys episode above Mary's episode. I thought that Mary might be Mark's sister when I read, but when I heard that Richard and Mary married, I remember I wondered who Mary was. In another newsletter I found that Mark drove Karen and Richard to his house just after their tour around performing at White House.
I found many articles about Karen when I searched where Stephen found the article. But almost all of them were about eating disorder, I don't post them on this board.

Sakura

I cannot read my newsletters now. So I searched the web. I found NEWSLETTER #45 - October, 1975:
August 2nd was "Bear's" birthday, as well as the 2nd wedding anniversary of Pete and Lenny Henderson, so the gang surprised the three of them with party. Cubby & Richard did the driving here in two identical rental cars, and one night, Cubby unknowingly drove off in Richard's car. Cubby's car key happened to fit Richard's car, but unfortunately Richard's key didn't fit Cubby's car, so once again Richard was stranded. This time he rented one of the hotel's limos and did his own driving to the Warwick gig.

While performing in Columbia, Maryland, they were houseguests of their Aunt and Uncle Mr. & Mrs., Paul Rudolph and family.

"Bear" is Mark Rudolph, isn't he?

Sakura

Yes Sakura,

"Bear" Rudolph is Mark Rudolph, their first cousin. He had a brother Chris and sister Mary, who is now married to Richard. Their mother Bernice and K & R's Mother Agnes were sisters.

Jayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom