• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

BAJA Christmas Present

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool video Steve. Thanks!

I always cringe when I see Dave Wells dragging his trombone on the ground - and this time he has two 'bones. A bent slide just waiting to happen.

An "abbreviated Partridge" saves us the monotony of ALL 12 Days! Thank you, Steve...

-- Dave

The classiest arrangement that song has ever had! Thanks Steve (and thanks, Julius and Herb!)

Harry

From Billboard in another December, 45 years ago:

Billboard1966BajaLBJ.jpg

Harry

Well...I help book talent for our local county fair, so I get to see the "price lists" for a lot of acts. Top acts today can command anywhere from $300,000 to over $1 million for a performance. In '66 there WERE bigger super-stars than Herb (Beatles, Sinatra, and so on) so he probably wasn't considered the "number one" act by the industry. So, given that, I would take a wild guess that you could probably multiply the 1966 numbers by somewhere between 10 and 20 to get an answer. In other words, in today's dollars the TJB would get anywhere from $360,000 to $725,000 for a performance.

Man, those were the days. Thanks, Steven. Time to crack open the TJB Christmas Album and Something Festive again. And . . . "Christmas Isn't Christmas Without You," by Julius and Cissy.

Mike A.

This well-produced video makes me wish for a Baja Marimba Band Christmas album! The BMB versions of "The Twelve Days of Christmas," "Las Mananitas" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" are outstanding. If only the group had recorded about seven more seasonal tunes, we'd have an entire album to go with the wonderful "Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Christmas Album."

Thanks, Steve.

Charles

Thanks, Steve. That was the best version of Twelve Days" yet. The Baja guys never looked better. And, your ending sentiment was so spot on. Julius was a gentle man. Best of the season to you and you family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom