• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba Band on Hollywood Palace (Herb hosting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Moderator note: Thread title changed to something more descriptive.]

Thanks for the link! Baja video is pretty rare to find.

Wow! I think those clips show that the BMB were as superb as the TJB as far as musicianship goes. Thanks to Chris Covais for posting them!

The one clip most astounding was the "Sunrise Sunset" clip... Seemingly recorded at the Julius tribute -- the background banner,etc is a give-away -- I wonder when and where the opening sement was fillmed. John Pisano is in the clip but wasn't at the JW tribute and Bernie Fleischer is there as well (Bernie WAS at the JW tribute). Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyway this was a moving clip. "Sunrise Sunset" is pure Julius-Jazz no matter when or where it was captured on tape... I was moved to tears watching!

--Mr Bill

Mr B for Bill said:
Wow! I think those clips show that the BMB were as superb as the TJB as far as musicianship goes...
...Arguably better, as most if not all of the BMB "band" were top-flight LA studio aces. My old college trumpet prof, for example, saw Lee with the BMB back in the day and told me that Lee Katzman was a trumpeter or tremendous proportions (who, perhaps purposely, was kept largely subdued on LP so as to not upstage the TJB horn-based sound). To that end, it's clear on the LPs and occasional "live" TV footage, that his chops are robust and that he possess a bold, brilliant, heroic tone -- quite polarized from most of Herb's '60s TJB trumpet stylings.

On a side note, the BMB totally takes the cake for the definitive version of A Taste Of Honey: the performance and stage show antics send Herb's version into the stratosphere! DeVito's drum solo (including the comedic parts) is beyond words. The number rips, baby!. (All this, of course, in deference to Herb's famous version -- which, truth be told, I've never much cared for: I give Herb points for the original arrangement, but I've never been able to connect to his LP version...particularly, (ironically enough) the lacklustre drumming. Until the BMB version hit my ears, my fave was The Beatles' 1963 version -- as well as Allan Sherman's A Waste of Money parody.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom