• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba Band video on You Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
This particular performance was after Bud Coleman's death, so it's got to be at least mid-late 1967...maybe later. I remember them playing on The Hollywood Palace, Mile Douglas and The Jerry Lewis Show...my guess is that it's probably Mike Douglas, since the stage seems rather small, like in a TV studio. But, it could be another show, maybe Merv Griffin...

Nice video, too bad that E! logo is so prominent in the lower corner of the screen...

Dan

This show was originally aired March 12, 1967, and Bud Coleman is clearly there playing the guitar and wearing a sombrero - between Mel Pollan and Frank DeCaro. This was a rebroadcast of the Smothers Brothers years later on E! TV on cable.

BUD1.jpg

BUD4.jpg

At least I got the year right...my screen is so small and my connection speed so slow that I didn't get nearly as close a look at the video as the shots Steve posted. Bud looks so young there, as compared to the album cover photos...I didn't recognize him at all...guess the bushy eyebrows were fake, along with the moustache.

Boy, was I wrong...thanks for setting the record straight!

Dan

Great video. I liked the "watering the flowers" bit. I wonder how many people got that joke!

My uncle saw the BMB in concert. He told me it was hilarious, especially their entrance -- he said they came in dragging their instruments on the floor.

That was GREAT! In this PC and sensitive world, could a band get away with something like that now? (Although, this week I heard a couple of very un-PC comedians in Las Vegas)Didn't Bud die shortly after this performance? I understood that it was a botched routine surgery. And didn't Bud do all the mandolin parts on the TJB records? After the "Sounds Like" album, I don't remember any more mandolin.

I've watched this video several times and it was done live....That's cool!
Later......Jay :bandit:

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
That was GREAT! In this PC and sensitive world, could a band get away with something like that now? (Although, this week I heard a couple of very un-PC comedians in Las Vegas)Didn't Bud die shortly after this performance? I understood that it was a botched routine surgery. And didn't Bud do all the mandolin parts on the TJB records? After the "Sounds Like" album, I don't remember any more mandolin.

Bud went into the hospital for ear surgery, according to a website I went to today, after being so blind as to not recognize him in the video[he just looks so much younger than he did on all those album cover photos...]. There were complications, and evidently there was sufficient evidence for a lawsuit...the Coleman family was awarded nearly 900,000 dollars.

I wonder if anyone has any info on his date of birth...I always thought he was in his '50's when the BMB was in it's heyday, and judging from the video, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Dan

Bud Coleman has a song writing credit on the Ventures' MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY album (Dolton BLP-2016), released in 1962.

The song is "Hot Summer (Asian Mashed)" published by Electron Music-Flowers Music BMI. It's the last song on side one (2:15).

JB

I saw the BMB is concert in May, 1969.

That has been so long ago I don't remember much about it. This clip helps refesh my memory a little.

I don't think they'd have a chance of getting by with this today. I'd really love to see their complete catlalog reissued. I've got the Collector's Choice and the 3-cd all-time greatest, but I'd like to see each LP reissued.

DAN BOLTON said:
Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:

Bud went into the hospital for ear surgery, according to a website I went to today, after being so blind as to not recognize him in the video[he just looks so much younger than he did on all those album cover photos...]. There were complications, and evidently there was sufficient evidence for a lawsuit...the Coleman family was awarded nearly 900,000 dollars.

I wonder if anyone has any info on his date of birth...I always thought he was in his '50's when the BMB was in it's heyday, and judging from the video, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Dan

Which website?

[quote=audiofile][quote=DAN BOLTON]...m/time/magazine/article/0,9171,909688,00.html

There's only one sentence regarding Bud's death and his widow suing the anesthesiologists. The settlement was $877,500...a rather large sum in 1967 dollars, probably equivlent to several million today...

I recently acquired a copy of HEADS UP! and Bud is on the cover, last one on the right...his face is clearly shown, and he looks just as he did on the TV show. I just didn't recognize him without that horsehair moustache and those fake eyebrows.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom