• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to talk about it, but don't know what to say...

If you come up with something, I'll try to join in...

I really don't know much about them, other than that they existed at one time under the A&M umbrella, so to speak. I have a recording, and saw them once in concert many years ago. A good show, I might add.

But, not much information beyond that...

I'm ready...

In the eighties I thought that doing the Mexican costumn thing was a little outdated and not PC even for that time. I had mentioned to a couple of people (but no one listens to me) :cry: that the BMB costumns should be changed to more like Sandenista soilders, bikers, low rider vatos etc. The cloths of some of these hip-hoppers and Latino-hoppers are very funny but they're serious. Peace amigos................Jay

Just throwing some ideas out. If the "Head Baja" wouldn't indulge people with the secret of the "album cover hombre" (the guy with his head turned back and uhh...taking care of business :laugh: ), perhaps either Bernie Fleischer, Lee Katzman, Gary Wells, or any of the other surviving members might know.

Secondly, since the 1st Julius Wechter Tribute, another one of the Bajas has passed away. Curry Tjader, brother of jazz legend Cal Tjader.

Um, actuallyCurry passed away about a year before the Tribute show. He was included in the memorial section that listed other's from the Baja/A&M familythat have passed way including Nick Ceroli, Bud Coleman and Tom Tedesco... There was even a video clip of Julius and Curry doing "I'll Marimba You" with both of them on the same marimba together -- truly impressive playing by both!

--Mr Bill

If you look at the album covers over the years...the costumes did change. Especially on the San Jose album. They started to look more like hippies! Bill Dana, who wrote their act, also had P.C. trouble with his Jose Jimenez character at about the same time. This is unfortunate, because as I recall of his routines, little Jose always came out on top.

You mean they recorded it that way too?

When it came out, I was too embarrassed to go to the check out with the record, I had my wife do it. There are many reasons for divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom