bassa nova by ruy castro

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a pretty good read.
here's an excerpt:

On stage at the Opera House in Chicago in 1968, the miniskirt worn by Karen Phillips, one of the two american vocalists of Sergio Mende's Brasil'66, almost made the audience overlook the fact that she was in fact very tuneful and competent. Likewise the skirt worn by the other female vocalist, Lani Hall. After the show, the band recieved an important guest in their dressing room: Senator Robert Kennedy. He was so impressed with the sound of Brasil '66, particularly with the rhythm created by Tiao Neto on double bass, Dom Um on drums, and Rubens Bassini on percussion, that he had decided to go to the dressing room to meet Karen Phillips. Kennedy was hard to resist, but Karen held herself in check; she knew it was dangerous to keep company with him. You know what those assasination attempts are like; anyone close to the target ran the risk of being hit by a stray bullet. (Robert Kennedy was killed just a few months later.)

let me know if you want to read more.
i'm a terrible typist or i'd type all the sergio refences for you.

For those horny 'Corners' ready to whet their salacious interest in the Girls of Brasil '66, I'll have to provide a caveat: the above-quoted passage is as juicy as this book gets. 'Bossa Nova' was originally published in Brasil in 1990, and is written totally from the perspective of a Brasilian. The references to those who made it big in the States are usually followed by,"...and his successful U.S. albums are of little interest to Brasilians." The book does provide a deep background of Brasil's previous century of popular music and the eventual formation of the bossa nova. Particularly eye-opening is how most composers had to submit to Brasil's usurious music publishers who openly took 75% (or more) of the royalties for themselves. This book is recommended for those with a serious approach to the subject.

Yeah, ENOUGH ALREADY! We all know about Bobby Kennedy pursuing Karen at the infamous Chicago Opera House concert. It's true that karen turned him down because it was a dangerous thing to associate with him, BUT Karen had also turned him down for two other BIG reasons: A- Bobby was a married man with several children & B- Karen was romantically involved with Rubens Bassini at the time. Karen was a GOOD GIRL with MORALS unlike most celebrities & entertainers. Bobby Kennedy & his wife Ethel had an open relationship with another A & M singer( Claudine Longet).Bobby & Ethel SWUNG with Claudine & her hubby Andy Williams. Bossa Nova by Ruy Castro is an EXCELLENT BOOK and all of you Brazilian music fans should go out and buy a copy PRONTO. Another great book to read is THE BRASILIAN SOUND by Chris MacGowan.By the way people, Bossa Nova by Ruy Castro is also available in video format.

Karen was pursued by more than one well-known gentleman in her time. I'll bet Lani was as well (she sure ended up with a prize!) Matter of fact, so did Karen (with her well-known husband, writer and producer Pat Proft.)

And, Kevin is absolutely right about Claudine and the Kennedy's. She and Andy were regulars on the party circuit. In other words, there was nary a Lawford event they missed!

Jon

Speaking of bossa nova, Gilberto Gil & Nana Caymmi were actually married at one time.Nana was Gilberto's second wife in the late 60's. Their marriage produced no children. Nana does have 3 children from her first marriage and Gilberto has a total of 8 children from his other 3 marriages. The Brazilian music community is a closeknit group!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom