Best song on LOST TREASURES

Which song is the absolute BEST on LOST TREASURES?

• Up Cherry Street

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Lazy Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wailing Of The Willow

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Fire And Rain

• And I Love Her

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I Can't Go On Living, Baby, Without You

• (They Long To Be) Close To You

• Promises, Promises

• Happy Hour

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Julius And Me

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I Might Frighten Her Away

• Alone Again (Naturally)

• Tennessee Waltz

• Tradewinds

• Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

• Flowers On The Wall

• Popcorn

• Chris

• Killing Me Softly

• I'll Never Fall In Love Again

• Speakeasy

• Whistlestar

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did see PULP FICTION, once back when it was still in the theatres. Though I enjoyed it, I found it to be quite bizarre, as many do. It's one of those movies I'll want to see one more time, and then never again.

I don't recall the song at all from the soundtrack. Must've not left much of an impression on me.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Ed Bishop said:
The version heard in PULP FICTION is the Mercury remake, not the Columbia original, which I prefer.

Ed: I much prefer the Columbia original also - the Mercury seems like a pale imitation, which remakes in general seem to be if the arrangement stays basically the same.

Having known this record since the age of nine, I was more than delighted to learn about the TJB recording it. To finally hear it was wonderful and shows once again what great taste that Herb has in music.

I would love to hear a mono singles collection also.

I voted for "Me and Julius," by far the most "complicated" tune on the disc what with the key changes every four measures or so. As a marimbaist I had to be partial to this one. But...

It was hard to pick a fave, though. So much of this disc is great. It'd be easier to say which cuts I'd skip. "I Might Frighten Her Away" was one I always skipped on You Smile -- The Song Begins, but here I've given it another chance. I've warmed to it as I've gotten older. The other one I'm not enamored with is "And I Love Her." Herb's version is dark and brooding. This is not to say I dislike these cuts. I'm thrilled with the entire disc and am not skipping tunes yet -- these are just the ones thbat "do the least" for me.

The cuts that most surprise me are:
"Flowers On The Wall" -- being a big Statler Bros fan I thought this may offend my ears but, no. It's terrific. Who the heck is that counting off "5, 6, 7, 8"???
"Popcorn" -- as a keyboard fan, Hot Butter's is the definitive version. Again, I wondered if Herb and the gang to do it justice. Indeed they did! It's livelier and less 'sterile' sounding than the 'all-synth' version with which most of the world is familiar. It has the haunting feel of "Vento Bravo" and the galloping rhythm 'jam' of Herb's later solo tune "Beyond."

"Close To You" and "What Do You Get..." -- I was surprised I like these as much as I do. While I'm not as critical as others of Herb's singing abilities (how else do you explain my having mulitple copies of the Dore Alpert 45s?) his voice has a certain 'fragility' that doesn't work with just any song. With these two it works superbly.

"Whistlestar" -- my favorite non-LP TJB tune. I miss not hearing the steel drum on the bridge in the middle, but this one still packs a wallop. Nice to hear it in full digital scope vice the chintzy poly-styrene 45! Man, I wish there had been a third reformed TJB LP that included this, "El Bimbo," "Somewhere," "Neverland," and "Desert Dance"!!!

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on other tunes in the future, as we all will...

An aside, here... when quoting be sure to end your quote with "[/quote]" to set the quoted text apart from your own (it's getting real confusing over in the Sergio/B66 Forum). I applied a quick fix Jeff's (Bruckner) post, just prior to this.

Thanks!
--Mr Bill

I'm quite certain the counting, "5,6,7,8" is Herb Alpert. Sure sounded like him the first time I heard the song. My wife likes country music, mainly, and she enjoyed "Flowers on the Wall" & "Tennessee Waltz" also. John Christman

I'm fairly certain that it's not Herb doing the "...5,6,7,8" count. In the later repeats of the count, there's more than one person counting too.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Mr Bill said:
"Close To You" and "What Do You Get..." -- I was surprised I like these as much as I do. While I'm not as critical as others of Herb's singing abilities (how else do you explain my having mulitple copies of the Dore Alpert 45s?) his voice has a certain 'fragility' that doesn't work with just any song. With these two it works superbly.

As I often do, I woke up the other morning with a song playing in my head. In this case it was the LOST TREASURES arrangement of "(They Long To Be) Close Tou You" - except that Lani Hall was doing the double-tracked vocals, and it sounded ever-so-much like a Brasil '66 recording!

Herb should get Lani into the studio to dub her vocals on this arrangement. - Killer!

Harry
...producing records in his head, online...

I hear Herb in there too, maybe not just him but he's in there. That arrangement is cool!

I'm still not warming up to the Bacharach tunes (except "Promises" which I love) but they still keep getting into my head, especially "Close to You." I'm leaning toward my favorite tune being "Happy Hour" but "Tradewinds" is right up there along with "Speakeasy" and of course "Whistlestar."

To me it sounds like Julius or Nick... That's why I asked, as it sounds nothing like Herb to me.

--Mr Bill

Speakeasy, Happy Hour, & Whistlestar are really fun & catchy..my favorite upbeat tunes....And I Love Her is my favorite......other honorable mentions: Flowers On The Wall, Close To You, & Raindrops Keep F. O. M. H. RKFOMH & Happy Hour would have been even better extended :D

I just figured out why "Speakeasy" sounds so darn familiar! It's the tune used in the TJB UniRoyAl (or is it Texaco) radio commercial of which some of us are fortunate to have a copy. Nice to hear more than just a 30 or 60 second version of it!

--Mr Bill

The strongest track on this collection is "Whistlestar" which is originally found on the 1975 Cat Stevens release "Numbers" it is the opening track of the album. I feel that "Happy Hour" would be next, followed by "The Tennessee Waltz". :thumbsup:

The album is sheer delight!!! :D It is great to hear new material. :thumbsup:

Marty Hurrikane Michigan Drummer Man

After repeated listening, I find a different song on LT is staying in my head every day. The other day it was UP CHERRY STREET. Yesterday it was FLOWERS ON THE WALL. Today it was LAZY DAY. Herb has really created something significant here. I think it is as substantial as many of the original albums and better than some. No throwaways here. Bravo Herb!!

David,
growing fonder of LT with each play..........

OK, question about "Tennessee Waltz." I've heard a country version of this song called "Waltz Across Texas." Not sure who it's by, but it has the same melody. Are those the words to Tennessee Waltz? Or did somebody write lyrics to an instrumental and change the title?

The lyrics to TENNESSEE WALTZ are as follows:

I was dancing with my darling
To the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend
I happened to see
I introduced her to my darling
And while they were dancing
My friend stole
My darling from me

I remember that night
And the Tennessee Waltz
And I know just how much
I have lost
Cause I lost my little darling
The night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz :sad:

I vaguely remember "Waltz Across Texas" but I don't recall it having the same tune as TW.

Hope this helps,
David

WALTZ ACROSS TEXAS was done by Ernest Tubb...I have to listen to it every day at the Cracker Barrel where I work. TENNESSEE WALTZ gets its share of "airplay, as well. I just wish they'd play Herb's version...as well as his version of FLOWERS ON THE WALL...

...at least they throw in some Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and Booker T once in awhile...

Dan

Mr Bill said:
I just figured out why "Speakeasy" sounds so darn familiar! It's the tune used in the TJB UniRoyAl (or is it Texaco) radio commercial of which some of us are fortunate to have a copy. Nice to hear more than just a 30 or 60 second version of it!

--Mr Bill

I don't have a UniRoyal or Texaco spot by the TjB, but I do have a copy of the Union Oil commercial with Dick Tufeld announcing - and that sounds nothing like "Speakeasy" to me. I guess I must be missing something, eh?.... :confused:

Harry
NP: Union Oil Song - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

After some time now, "Happy Hour" is still my favorite, with "Flowers on the Wall", "Whistlestar", & "Chris" as other good tunes. Herb had said at the end of the liner booklet, that he would hope the younger generation would like this album. Well, I don't know how young is young, because 2 of my 5 grandsons, ages 5 & 8, really liked what songs they heard when I was playing the CD in the car yesterday. Of course, they know good music when they hear it. I have played other TJB albums when they traveled with me, and we call it "Happy music". I sure hope other young ones listen to the TJB.
John Christman[/b]

I find many of these tunes getting stuck in my head. At this point it's almost impossible for me to pick a favorite - so many of them have really gotten to me.

I continue to enjoy "Happy Hour," "Whistelstar," "Flowers On The Wall," "Popcorn," "Julius And Me," "Tennessee Waltz," 'Wailing Of The Willow," "Tradewinds," "Lazy Day," "Close To You," and "Speakeasy." All of them, at one time or another, have been swimming forever in my head (to borrow a line from The Corrs).

A thought I had about "Julius And Me:" It seem to me that a composer of a song wouldn't title a song with his own name "& Me". So I wonder if the tune originally had a different title (-perhaps no title?), and as a tribute, Herb retitled it for use here as a tribute to his longtime friend and colleague. I wonder if Cissy or David Wechter would know.

This LOST TREASURES album is truly a gift. Thanks to Herb and all involved for really brightening up 2005.

Harry
NP: LOST TREASURES - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

I definitely have to echo this "exclaimation"! This CD has so-far, really made my year! I only have Foursider, Definitive Hits, Million Dollar Sampler, Music Box and Family Portrait, as well as a few '45's, but LOST TREASURES makes my collection feel so complete! And at least encourages me to buy the rest of Herb's TjB reissues as they come out.

¡Graciás Por La Música! :bandit:

Dave

Harry said:
I don't have a UniRoyal or Texaco spot by the TjB, but I do have a copy of the Union Oil commercial with Dick Tufeld announcing - and that sounds nothing like "Speakeasy" to me. I guess I must be missing something, eh?.... :confused:

Harry
NP: Union Oil Song - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

The Union Oil song sounds like (no pun intended :D ) it came off the album "Going Places", almost like a cross between "Tijuana Taxi" and "Getting Sentimental..." (with the bass drum break).

I'm still stuck on picking a "best" or "favorite" here! A few contendahs in this 22-round exhibition:

"Fire and Rain": like it much better in this new arrangement. It doesn't sound completely finished in its B-side version.

"Happy Hour": this is the one I've replayed the most...has the most "classic TJB" of any tune on the disc IMHO.

"Raindrops Keep Falling...": For some reason I'm drawn to this jazz-like arrangement.

"Whistlestar": yes, I like it, but...doesn't it sound like it would have made a great Brasil '66 track??

"Wailing Of The Willow": not sure when it was written or performed first, but this is one track I like that would have fit perfectly on the Summertime album.

"Promises, Promises": still one of my favorite TJB tracks, but the only reason I'm not picking it is because I feel I'm slighting the new tracks on this disc. :)

I still may end up choosing "Happy Hour" since it and "Promises Promises" are the two I've played the most.

Harry said:
A thought I had about "Julius And Me:" It seem to me that a composer of a song wouldn't title a song with his own name "& Me". So I wonder if the tune originally had a different title (-perhaps no title?), and as a tribute, Herb retitled it for use here as a tribute to his longtime friend and colleague. I wonder if Cissy or David Wechter would know.

Harry - I've wondered that same thing myself.

"Wailing Of The Willow": not sure when it was written or performed first, but this is one track I like that would have fit perfectly on the Summertime album.

Fer sure. "Lazy Day" also sounds like the SUMMERTIME era to me.

Like Harry, I'm amazed at how many of these songs just keep getting stuck in my head.

I have an acetate of Union Oil Song and it sounds absolutely like nothing on Lost Treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom