Best song on LOST TREASURES

Which song is the absolute BEST on LOST TREASURES?

• Up Cherry Street

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Lazy Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wailing Of The Willow

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Fire And Rain

• And I Love Her

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I Can't Go On Living, Baby, Without You

• (They Long To Be) Close To You

• Promises, Promises

• Happy Hour

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Julius And Me

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I Might Frighten Her Away

• Alone Again (Naturally)

• Tennessee Waltz

• Tradewinds

• Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

• Flowers On The Wall

• Popcorn

• Chris

• Killing Me Softly

• I'll Never Fall In Love Again

• Speakeasy

• Whistlestar

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Sidoruk said:
I have an acetate of Union Oil Song and it sounds absolutely like nothing on Lost Treasures!

:agree: We used to have that on the Radio Free A&M broadcast, if I recall!

Web Maestro Rudy said:
A&M guru Steve said:
I have an acetate of Union Oil Song and it sounds absolutely like nothing on Lost Treasures!

:agree: We used to have that on the Radio Free A&M broadcast, if I recall!

Maybe that's why I thought they sounded so damn similar -- it's been so damn long since I heard the thing! Of course, I also think "Little Lost Lover", "Tell It To The Birds" and "Acapuilco 1922" sound like they're derived form the same basic tune and chord progression so what do I know... :nut:

--Mr Bill

I guess the song that gets me feeling most like I'm back in the old days again listening to Herb Alpert/TJB is Happy Hour.

"Little Lost Lover" and "Acapulco 1922" were definitely cut from the same basic foundation. Same chord progression, same type of bridge. All they did was play with the melody a bit and make one vocal and one instrumental. Almost like a Winds Of Barcelona/El Presidente situation save for the lyrics. I like both songs and noticed their similarity immediately.

David,
who will bet it's the same guy whistling on both as well as musicians.....

I will weigh in later on, I've only heard this new cd four times so far. The good part is that this release equals two l.p.s. A "de facto" 2-fer in my book. This CD has a lot of "meat on it"! The only tune I found a bit odd, it "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". Herb's voice sounds a bit strange, perhaps he had a bit of a cold not sure. However I love Herb's singing and can't find one bum track on this. My 3 favorite Herb Alpert vocals are " To Wait For Love', "You Are My Life", and his exquisite " The Christmas Song" which should have been a single.

Herb did release "The Christmas Song" as a single in 1968. I believe it was backed with either "Las Manianitas" or "My Favorite Things". Harry will probably know which song it was. Also, Herb performed "The Christmas Song" on the Ed Sullivan Show in December, 1968.

David,
who also likes Herb's version of TCS........

Hi, I am a new member and have been looking into this web site since 1997 and I have finally found the time to register as a member.I have ordered my CD of L T and waiting patiently for it to arrive.But in the time waiting for L T to arrive I have been listing to the short music clips of L T that were posted on Amazon's web site. My favorite song so far is Happy Hour. I Am also trying to place a time frame to when all the songs on this CD were recorded.I would put the song Happy Hour somewhere between the Sound's Like album and Herb's 9th , 1967 or early 1968. The song Close to you at 1969.I read somewhere" That Herb recorded the song in 1969 and that Larry Levine the recording engineer didn't think the song suited Herb". So Herb gave the song to Karen and Richard Carpenter to record and they succeeded with it.I played the song Flowers on the wall thru Windows Media player and slowed it down as so you can make who is saying 5,6 7,8 at the beginning of this song I and I can definitely say that it is Herb saying 5,6,7,8 at he beginning also with somebody else. As I go thru all my vinyl record album's of the Herb& the TJB from the Lonely Bull to Coney Island I will try to figure out the rest of the songs from L T as to where they fit in with the other album's. I can Hardly wait to get my copy of L T as so I can get a better perspective of it. Also If you ever listen to the Beat of the Brass and the Xmas album there are some very similar sounds. The way the John Pisano play's his guitar in both albums and Nick Ceroil's percussion instrument's sound alike. Both album's were recorded in the same year 1968.This is excellent web site and I should have joined years ago.

Welcome to the Corner Ed. We've seen you lurking outside the door there for years - nice of you to come in and join us! :)

I agree that "Close To You" has to be pegged at 1969, since it had to be done between "This Guy's In Love With You" and the ultimate winner of the second vocal sweepstakes, "To Wait For Love".

But I'll agree to disagree with you about the "5,6,7,8" countoff. I just don't hear that as being Herb. The person it sounds the most like to me is Bob Findley, the trumpet player from the second incarnation of the T.J.B. If you listen to him talk in the Sentry TV special (he does a bit where one of the Muppets mistakes HIM for Herb Alpert), you can hear the same inflections in his voice.

Of course that theory would place "Flowers On The Wall" squarely in the '70s era.

Harry
...welcoming Ed from Canada to the site, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom