• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

BRAZILIANS ON THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW

lj

Regarding Marcos Valle and Quarteto em Cy: They all were hugely popular in Brazil, but regretfully unlike Marcos, the wonderfully talented Quarteto em Cy, AKA--the GIrls From Bahia-- were unknown in the USA.

Regarding Dorival Caymmi: Caetano Veloso said of Caymmi: "I have written 400 songs and Caymmi 70, But Caymmi has 70 perfect songs and I do not."
Here is his classic "And Roses and Roses".

Wasn't Janis Hansen a singer on the show before she took the job with Brazil '66/
That's correct. Janis left the Andy Williams Show in 1966 to join Brasil 66. The variety shows in the 1960s always had a vocal chorus to back up the star vocalist such as Perry Como and Andy Williams.

Andy always seemed to love Brasilian music and performers. He's one of only a very few Americans who recorded this gorgeous 5/4 tune by Mario Albanese:

Reactions: lj
Right you are JMK--Albanese was a great Brazilian composer. Here is another terrific version of "Pretty Butterfly" by Vikki Carr. arranged by the great Marty Paich. I first heard it in 1967 and it took me 20 years to get Vikki's version at a used record store. I was thrilled to hear it from her "Intimate Excitement" LP.

Percy Faith was a master orchestrator. His "Theme From a Summer Place" was the biggest hit in the entire year of 1960. It was #1 for an amazing 9 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Oh, those beautiful strings he used for the theme.

I was thrilled to hear it from her "Intimate Excitement" LP.
I picked up a copy of that LP about a year ago, I think, enticed by the number of Brazilian and Brasil '66 tunes on it. Just now though I realized something a bit odd.

The first version of INTIMATE EXCITEMENT that I picked up was a used copy and just a little noisy, maybe a tiny bit of groove wear, but still serviceable. My fondness of this "new" album had me hunting down perhaps something better. There are no CDs of the album apparently, so my next best thing was looking for a sealed copy, which I found.

I've digitized both versions. The older, "used", pressing has a more mellow sound, while the sealed pressing is brighter, but sibilant in the "S" sounds. While I would think that maybe the sealed one was a later pressing, the etched matrix numbers indicate that they are the same early pressing - just a difference in the actual grooves that one can experience on any piece of vinyl.

But just now, I noticed something else really odd. On "Going Out Of My Head" on the used pressing, the low brass that starts the track is placed on the left channel of the stereo. But on the more sibilant, sealed album, on the same track, the low brass is placed on the right.

I've not experienced that on what is supposedly the same vinyl pressing.

You can find other YouTubes with the brass on the left.

Re: Percy. One of the nicest compliments I ever got was from the legendary Oscar winner Ray Evans, who showed up at a gig of mine one night, and I played Maybe September for him, which he co-wrote with Percy, and he told me Percy would have loved my piano playing. In the trivia department, I've been gobsmacked to get FB friend requests from a number of fantastic vocalists through the years, including B77's own Bonnie Bowden, but one of the coolest was getting one from Sonia Ferreira from Quarteto em Cy, who does indeed speak at least a little English. You probably know Oscar was married to Regina and did a lot of the arrangements. Sonia's been posting quite a few clips from their American TV days.

Back
Top Bottom