1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

"Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography": New Book by Randy Schmidt

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by paul.ashurst, Jan 18, 2019.

1. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

Unfortunately, there most likely will not be an audiobook. This is a 192-page coffee table book and is heavily illustrated. The text includes conversations on each album by teams of commentators, so I don't think it would work well as an audiobook.

Randy

Actorman, Kacfan and newvillefan like this.
  2. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

This looks like a great project. The John Tobler discopgraphy guide from the 1990s was a nice idea but only gave a cursory overview of their songs (plus I found a lot of Tobler's opinions to be very subjective), so an expansion of that theme, plus the use of a lot of rare photos and input from various viewpoints, should be a winner.

Randy did a great job on the articles compendium book and the Karen biography, so I'd expect this to be done to a very high standard. Love the choice of image for the front cover too - one of their best-ever photos (no goody-fourshoes grins or horrible outfits) and the sort of picture that should have been used on more of their studio album covers.

3. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Honolulu City Lights

FL
    Randy, how can we get a signed copy?

Sue likes this.
  4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Randy, can you tell us what the 18 albums are?

5. Kaisu

Kaisu Member

The book is available for pre-order now. I'm still on the edge of ordering it, only because I don't want to pay 37 dollars for shipping!

6. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Yup, there's a separate face book page for the book now on pre-order, lots of choices....awesome!!!

7. paul.ashurst

paul.ashurst New Member Thread Starter

The book is only available for pre-order and won't be released or shipped until May, you might find it cheaper to order it off Amazon when it becomes available after the official release date. Of course, the only way to get signed copies and extras is through the pre-order or going to the Carpenters 50th event in April.

Rudy likes this.
  8. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

I am going to check into that. Since the book is around two pounds, I know it's expensive to ship internationally, but I am not sure if it should be THAT expensive. The site is linked to the USPS site, though, and is set up to charge actual postage plus a small amount to cover the packaging costs.

Kaisu likes this.
  9. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

Hi Mark! Great question . . .

OFFERING
    CLOSE TO YOU
    CARPENTERS
    A SONG FOR YOU
    NOW & THEN
    THE SINGLES 1969-1973
    HORIZON
    A KIND OF HUSH
    PASSAGE
    CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT
    MADE IN AMERICA
    VOICE OF THE HEART
    AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS
    Richard Carpenter: TIME
    LOVELINES
    Karen Carpenter: KAREN CARPENTER
    Richard Carpenter: PIANIST ARRANGER COMPOSER CONDUCTOR
    AS TIME GOES BY

10. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

11. Sue

Sue Active Member

uk
    I’d love to get a signed copy but are they only available in US? Looks to be a great book

12. newvillefan

newvillefan I Know My First Name Is Stephen

Loving the inclusion of these albums, which rarely, if ever, get a mention in compendiums like this.

13. John Adam

John Adam Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this release! Does look like a great year for the Carpenters 50th anniversary! :)

14. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Thanks, Randy!

close2u likes this.
  15. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

It ships worldwide from the pre-order site (US and UK are free shipping, the rest of the world is standard International postage). Plus it will be available on Amazon US, UK, Canada, and so on.

Sue likes this.
  16. Sue

Sue Active Member

uk

Thankyou that’s great

close2u likes this.
  17. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Thanks Randy...I just pre-ordered the limited edition signed version, can't wait.

close2u likes this.
  18. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I don't know whether this has been brought up, if I am missing it, forgive me. My question to Randy; will you be signing copies of the book at the actual book launch during the event in April? and also, will you have any of your other books available for purchase at this event? Namely "Little Girl Blue"? I would like to buy a signed copy of that.

close2u likes this.
  19. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Congratulations on this new project, Randy. You must be delighted. Tell me, will this be a critical review of albums from outside parties, or will we get some behind the scenes studio anecdotes, recording dates, production details etc.?

20. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

The pre-ordered "Special Editions" will be signed and numbered in gold (in advance) and include a frameable 8x10. But yes, I will gladly sign copies of the book at the event in April, too. And I will have copies of Little Girl Blue and Yesterday Once More on hand, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
    Carpe diem likes this.
  21. close2u

close2u Randy Schmidt

Thank you! I am absolutely delighted. It's really beautifully designed and hopefully a diehard fan's dream. To answer your question, this will be a critical review of the albums. I enlisted a group of 30+ commentators to discuss the albums in one-hour conference calls which were then transcribed and edited/finessed into the discussions in the book. Hope that makes sense!

ullalume and CarpentersToYou like this.
  22. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Thanks Randy. Can't wait. When I see just 1 previously unseen photo I get the flutters so I'll probably pass out upon receipt of your book!!!

close2u likes this.
  23. Tony

Tony Active Member

I've wondered why such a book didn't exist, so I'm delighted to see Randy taking on this project and bringing it to fruition. I'm as excited about this as I was about the RPO album. Congrats Randy!

close2u likes this.
  24. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member

Mine is ordered!!! It said order #71. ....so I made it into the numbered books??

Can’t wait, Randy @close2u
    Jonathan

close2u likes this.
  25. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Mine was #40 something a couple days ago so if it’s in the 70’s now than the limited edition #’s are going to sell out pretty quickly. I wanted the 8x10 frameable print as well.

Song4uman likes this.