• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Carpenters Concert Schedule

goodjeans

The way Richard arranged the end of the tune is interesting. He would use that same tag on "(Want You) Back in My Life Again)".

Ed
I think that "Only Yesterday" was #4 on Billboard this week. I saw Carpenters at the Music Fair 3 times. Karen looked beautiful. I also met her at the softball game and at the Sheraton where they were staying and then out back of the venue.

ericzs

I was lucky to see them in concert 4 times.
1973 at the Universal Amphitheater (at Universal Studios) in LA. The Best place to see a concert! Though, sadly it was torn down a few years back and replaced by yet another attraction...
1974 at the Hollywood Bowl. Has set the standard for outdoor venues since it was constructed. In my opinion.
1975 at the Labor Day weekend gigs at the Rivera in Sin City (Referred to by some as Los Vegas). Again, sadly, is no longer with us.
1976 at the 4th of July holiday gigs at the Rivera in that little desert oasis town...
(btw, that’s me in the photo next to their van at one of the Los Vegas shows. I don’t remember which)

AM Matt

Any Michigan concert appearances?? I think that Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkson, Michigan (near Auburn Hills, MI) might have been one of those places?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

hubieg

Also missing in this list is a week long appearance in Omaha sometime in 1976 or 1977 at the Ak-Sar-Ben Coliseum. I managed to see four of those shows. It was in the "oldies" heyday supporting their "Yesterday Once More" LP. Ak-Sar-Ben which is a civic organization in Omaha that ran a horse race track until the mid 1980s put on "Family Shows" and had many, many stars appear for week long shows. Several years ago the auctioned off all of the old memorabilia including some Carpenters stuff (autographs, posters, photos etc). I found out about the auction after the fact or I would have been down there to bid on stuff.
The Ak-Sar-Ben shows were Apr 19-24, 1977, with comedian Norm Crosby opening, according to the Apr 17, 1977, issue of the Omaha World Herald newspaper.

The Apr 25, 1977, issue of the paper reported that the 59,887 persons who attended the eight shows held during this time was an indoor attendance record. Not too shabby!

Hope this helps!

hubieg

I was at the 1971 and 1973 concerts in Nashville and my wife remembers seeing them at the University of Missouri in 1972. I did see Richard in 1998 in Nashville along with John Bettis, Joe Osborn, and James Griffin (Singing For All We Know). JG, of bread, was on of the cowriters. The 71 concert was great and the 73 (Brown Album tour) was all the hits of course. Karen's voice was perfect.
I would like another live concert album for the 50th.
The University of Missouri show, held Apr 19, 1973, at the Hearnes Center with the comedy duo of Skiles and Henderson opening, was advertised just shy of two weeks prior to the concert in the Moberly Monitor-Index newspaper in Moberly, MO.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom