• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters Disneyland 25th anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

It appears that the Carpenters attended this event at Disneyland California back on April 1980. I guess there were several events for the 25th anniv, in March 1980 a tv show was televised (youtube has video of the celebration but I don't see the Carpenters on it), then in July 1980 where the doors were open for the 25th anniv for 25 hrs straight then in April 1980 for the Family Reunion Night Celebration. This also must have been around the same time that Music Music Music ABC TV special aired on local tv channels.

It appears that the Carpenters must have attended the Family Reunion night per a Disney website.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...the-biggest-thing-that-happened-in-1976-1980/
1980 – Disneyland park kicked off a year-long Silver Anniversary celebration with a pre-parade show at the Tournament of Roses on New Year’s Day in Pasadena. Several special parades and shows followed for the rest of the year, but it was a special event in March, featuring Michael Jackson and Danny Kaye, that brought national attention to the celebration. On July 17, the 25th anniversary of the park’s opening, doors were open for 25 straight hours. In April, Family Reunion Night Celebration brought out several famous Disney faces, including Jackson, Fred MacMurray, Ernest Borgnine as well as the Carpenters, Ray Bradbury and even…Elliot Gould.

The Carpenters Fan Club newsletters has this info:
NEWSLETTER #67 - May, 1980
Richard and Karen greatly enjoyed participating in the Disneyland 25th anniversary celebrations recently, and received a warm welcome from Mickey and friends, as featured in the May 6th issue of The Star.

I am assuming that this photo was taken from this event in April 1980 at Disneyland? That shirt Karen is wearing reminds me of the letter A&M but I know it's not, still I have seen her wear that shirt before somewhere.

Disneyland.jpg

I knew there was a clip somewhere of Karen singing M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E to the chords of Close To You, but it turns out it was for Mickey's 50th not Disneyland's 25th.

I have a great memory of the 25th anniversary party. I was working at Disneyland at the time in the Star Trader. Soon, I noticed Karen & Richard get off of Space Mountain and come into our store. I saw Harold & Agnus waiting by the door. I was way to shy to approach Karen, but I thought if I made friends with her parents, they might invite Karen over. I had read in the fan club newsletter that they just celebrated their wedding anniversay, so I congratulated them. They said "thanks" and that was it. To this day, I have always kicked myself for not approaching Karen & Richard. I was 18 and stupid.

Thanks Cam89, I knew I saw it someone else.

Great story Jeff, I would have been a yr younger than you at that time. So the photo above, do you remember if this is what she was wearing when you saw her? She looks so happy and seemed like she would have been so approachable, although she is too thin, she just seems so happy in this photo. If it was me, I think I would have probably gone up to her and asked her for her autograph then a photo. Can you imagine if you had did this and kept that photo? But your still lucky to have seen her that close in person. I remember getting my photo taken with Olivia backstage after meeting her at a meet and greet, it's something I will never forget and I have a photo to keep reminding me of that event.

I have a great memory of the 25th anniversary party. I was working at Disneyland at the time in the Star Trader. Soon, I noticed Karen & Richard get off of Space Mountain and come into our store. I saw Harold & Agnus waiting by the door. I was way to shy to approach Karen, but I thought if I made friends with her parents, they might invite Karen over. I had read in the fan club newsletter that they just celebrated their wedding anniversay, so I congratulated them. They said "thanks" and that was it. To this day, I have always kicked myself for not approaching Karen & Richard. I was 18 and stupid.
...not stupid at all. When I met Karen I was so tongue tied that she had to come over and ask me for my autograph. Which I gave her. Talk about stupid!

Ok..it's my turn to bring back a really old thread (see Gary, your not alone :))

I came across an alternate photo of Karen and Richard from this Disneyland event in 1980, the photo is a bit smaller but you can tell it's a different shot from the one above. There are also a few other photos that are new to me from this site.

Credit: http://www.dijitalimaj.com/alamySearchCustom.aspx?key=karen carpenter

CD472W.jpg

From the same site, have we seen this one? 1971
CD472T.jpg

This looks new to me, I've seen one similar but not sure about this one, I didn't realize Karen's hair was so red for her wedding.
CD472N.jpg

CD472P.jpg

In the photo with Karen holding onto that jacket, that jacket looks like the same one Cynthia Gibb wore in THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY movie, where she is putting on lipstick by the elevator, and she is wearing that white jacket with furry trim....and she thinks she looks heavy!! It appears Cynthia wore many of Karen's outfits for the movie....

I often wonder if Karen was invited to The EPCOT Center opening on Oct 1st 1982. Donny and Marie were there. Obviously Karen was hospitalized at this point so couldn't have attended.

Hi Amy, welcome to the forum. I don't have the answer on that shirt but it's funny because I always thought that shirt was brown but it's really red. It's funny catching Karen wearing the same clothes....like she really needed to with her wealth. Also the initials on that shirt always reminded me of A & M but it's not, isn't that weird. Look at all that jewelry!!!!

KarenandPhilRamoneMedium.jpg~original

In the photo with Karen holding onto that jacket, that jacket looks like the same one Cynthia Gibb wore in THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY movie, where she is putting on lipstick by the elevator, and she is wearing that white jacket with furry trim....and she thinks she looks heavy!! It appears Cynthia wore many of Karen's outfits for the movie....

Good one Cam89!!!! I never would have pieced that together.

Hi Amy, welcome to the forum. I don't have the answer on that shirt but it's funny because I always thought that shirt was brown but it's really red. It's funny catching Karen wearing the same clothes....like she really needed to with her wealth. Also the initials on that shirt always reminded me of A & M but it's not, isn't that weird. Look at all that jewelry!!!!

KarenandPhilRamoneMedium.jpg~original

Just one of the many things I love about how she was. She could've worn something different everyday, but she was unpretentious and down to earth.

I love pics that are close enough to show her jewelry. She had some really cool pieces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom