• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters Dream Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, something to think and dream about. If the Carpenters were performing today, what would be their in-concert set list.

Here's my dream list:

A Song for You
Please Mr. Postman
I Can Dream Can't I
Look to Your Dreams
Solitaire
Bacharach Medley from "Music Music Music"
Touch Me When We're Dancing
Perry Como Medley from "As Time Goes By"
We've Only Just Begun
Let Me Be the One
Song for You Side One Segue "we'll be right back after we go to the bathroom"
Intermission
Oldies Medley from "Yesterday Once More" with There's a Kind of Hush and Beechwood 4-5789
Now
Desperado
Sing
Yesterday Once More
Superstar
Goodbye to Love
Encore
Rainbow Connection
Bless the Beasts and the Children
Close to You

What's your dream set list, 20 songs or less?

Merry Christmas Darlings.

Should this be at MACOMB CENTER FOR PERFORMING ARTS in Michigan or something I have to drive down to LP Jim to visit 'cause it's in TENNESSEE...???!!! :jester:

Yesterday Once More

Superstar

We've Only Just Begun

Only Yesterday

Please, Mr. Postman

Close To You

Sweet, Sweet Smile

BEechwood 4-5789

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Desperado

A Song For You

(Intermission)

Goodbye To Love

Sing

Bless The Beasts & The Children

I Want You Back In My Life Again

I Can Dream, Can't I?

Breakin' Up Is Hard To Do

Reprise Medley:

Close To You (Reprise)/A Song For You (Reprise)/Yesterday Once More (Reprise)

Encore:

Top Of The World

Rainy Days & Mondays

I Won't Last A Day Without You

Finale:

Solitaire

Throughout the song-set all us Audience Members participated in the choruses... Karen came out to the front-most rows of the audience and even up to where I sat (Ah, the wonders of what a WIRELESS microphone can do!) and the row behind... (Yes, we got great seats!) There were almost as many clothing changes as Cher would do, and luckily NOT for each song and Kar' was able to do such a big set, though the songs did segue into one another (much like how they were presented on The Singles: 1969-1973) and perhaps due to the impending time-constraints...

In addition to Richard on Piano & Electric Piano and Karen on Vocals, the Band Members included second Keyboardist, Doug Strawn; (who supplied the necessary string, vibe & marimba, horn and synthesizer sounds) Danny "Woody" Woodhams, Bass; Tommy Vig, Percussion; Cubby O' Brien, Drums and Tony Peluso on Guitar...!

Karen & Rich were also available for the After-Concert Meet & Greet, complete with Photographs, Autographs and All...!!!!! :agree: --Though at the Stage Door I was able to meet The Band...! :twitchy:

Definitely recommend when the opportunity should arise that you take in this Such an Awesome Show...!!!!! :thumbsup:

Dave

Hey everyone! This one is fun! I want to attend all of the various concerts we are putting together! So, here's the set list for my hometown!!

The audience is fired up, warmed up and cheering! The opening act was comediene Wanda Sykes and now the crowd is ready for what they came for!

The lights dim, fans are screaming...and the musicians come out and take their places (full orchestra along with "The Band").
Then, the stadium announcer comes on

Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my greatest privilage to welcome the best selling duo of all time, two fine outstanding musicians who have sold over 500 million albums worldwide both together as a group and as solo artists.....I give you KAREN & RICHARD CARPENTER...the CARPENTERS!!!!

RICHARD walks out and sits at the grand piano....cheers...

Richard Solo: Time

We've Only Just Begun (The intro music begins, then KAREN sings as she makes a grand entrance down a staircase to the stage)

Top Of The World
Only Yesterday
Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night

Medley: Yesterday Once More, Mr. Postman, There's A Kind Of Hush, Ticket To Ride, Beachwood 4-5789

I Need To Be In Love
Sandy
Ordinary Fool
For All We Know
Sing

INTERMISSION

Strenght Of A Woman

Karen Solo Medley: My Body Keeps Changing My Mind, If We Try, Make Believe It's Your First Time, If I Had You

One More Time
Those Good Old Dreams
Solitaire
You're The One
Goodbye To Love

ENCORE
Rainy Days and Mondays
Close To You

I somehow never thought of an Opening Act, nor have I thought of the "Oldies Medley", or anything from it either...

I guess the Opening Act for my show should be The Band playing "Oldies Medley" then, segueing right into "Yesterday..."...

Dave

Couldn't Resist this Idea... Here We Go... A Mix of Old and New Songs...

Introduction:
· Close to You (intro similar to Singles 1969-1973)
· We’ve Only Just Begun

Karen and Richard do a brief welcome to the audience…
Then introduce Herb Alpert for trumpet work on the Bacharach Medley…

Bacharch Medley (1980 Version)
· I’ll Never Fall in Love Again, Knowing When to Leave, Make It Easy on Yourself, Do You Know the Way to San Jose

Introducing the 80s Hits…

Mid 70s,80s Hits Medley:
· I Need to Be in Love
· How Do You Keep the Music Playing? (Carpenters Oscar Winner for Best Song)
· Solitaire
· Only Yesterday
· Touch Me When We’re Dancing

Introducing the Oldies…

Expanded Oldies Medley:
· Yesterday Once More,
o Fun, Fun, Fun
o I Saw Her Standing There (Beatles-Richard lead)
o End of the World
o You Can’t Hurry Love (Supremes-Karen lead)
o Da Doo Ron Ron
o See You in September (The Happenings-Richard lead)
o Our Day Will Come

Karen Drum Solo: I Got Rhythm Medley
Richard Piano Solo: Slaughter on 10th Avenue

(Karen exits stage during Richard’s solo and returns for the rest of the set)

70s Standards
· Something So Right (Paul Simon)
· I Only Have Eyes for You
· This Masquerade
· Ordinary Fool
· It’s Impossible (Perry Como)

Introduces next medley…

Standards Medley:
· I’ve Got You Under My Skin
· The Nearness of You
It Had to Be You (Richard lead)
· Our Love is Here to Stay
· When I Fall in Love
· Someone to Watch Over Me
· The Very Thought of You
· At Last (Surprise Duet with Michael Buble’)

Band Introductions

Medley: Hurting Each Other, For All We Know, Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, Goodbye to Love

Encore:
Close to You
Top of the World
What a Wonderful World (from Standards album)

In conclusion, a very full but satisfying two hours or so!

This topic is almost painful to me, wishing for so long that things had happened differently for Karen and thus for all of us. I would be happy with an annual Christmas Concert Tour, having K and R play songs from the four holiday discs; especially the "Go Tell It On The Mountain" version with Karen singing, accompanied only by Tony Peluso on acoustic guitar. This is of course inspired by the huge success of Karen's smash acoustic remake of "(Sitting on the) Dock of the Bay" from summer 2001. I like how Richard brings out the reel to reel tape player again with the previously recorded siblings 'massed' backing vocals as they continue to repeat and modulate. The audience joins in at this point as it has become tradition to close the show with this tune and everybody knows now to jump right in. Yolanda Adams was in the house and try as she might (wink) still couldn't outsing Miss Karen, who smiled brightly while entertaining the mini contest. The concert program in itself looked wonderful with Karen's twin boy and girl (now 20) sitting under a tree with Mom in the middle; a copy of THEIR first CD framed and hanging on the wall, inserted among many of Karen's gold awards. Happy New Year everybody. Let's make 2008 the best year yet.

No list of songs here for me but wanted to convey that Karen had so much potential to be even larger in life than the legacy she has left us. Having never seen her in concert I can only fantasize in my head what I wish to have seen in person. Only wish....what a meeting backstage could have been like to meet her...speak to her if for just a few moments to say how her voice in song has touched me so...but yet with what ultimately happen I still am content with the recordings she has left of which I never tire of listening to.

More than just attending a concert of them...if only I could have seen with my eyes how impressed she would have felt from the warmth in the audience and the response she would get that would show upon her face...that reaction... that yes her voice was magical but much more special than she ever could have imagined herself.

I'd love to go the concert of Mark's.
Who is the lead singer of "The Nearness of You" and "The Very Thought of You"?
I'd like to listen to Richard's "True Love" :love:
"How Could I Ask For More?"
"The Reply"
"Where Are The Answers Now?" and
"You'll Never Know". :love:
I'd like to listen to Richard's gorgeous piano medley which contains "Romeo & Juliet", "Autumn Leaves" and "Born Free" again!!! :love:
And some songs that Richard or John Bettis felt Karen's song, written after Karen's passing.

Sakura

Sakura, to my knowledge the most recent version of "The Nearness of You" is by Nora Jones, "The Very Thought of You" by Aaron Neville and Linda Ronstadt.

Thank you, Mark! I just heard Norah's version at video site, and Linda's sample at CD shop site. Norah's version is slower than Richard's version.
I may have seen Tony Bennett and Paul McCartney sing "The Very Thought....". Richard sang this song in a music studio for NHK broadcast, :love: then sang it in standards medley at NHK Hall in '80s.

Off topic, my daughter said to me "Karen is singing!!" when I entered living room yesterday. "Top of the World" was played on TV.

Sakura

...The song Mr. Guder was written in 1967 and was featured prominently in concerts and recordings throughout the 1970's...

Couldn't help but wonder after reading this quote in the Denial of Magic Lamp Recordings Thread if any of us included "Mr. Guder" in our Dream Concert set (yes, something there made me think of this topic)... Sorry for not including it in my song set...

Wonder when these two will "tour around again" and what will be presented...

-- Dave

Fun topic! I would hope that at some point they would acknowledge the music before the first album, and I would think they would have recorded more since the early 80's. Rich did play a version of Iced Tea at the Hollywood Bowl (it's on youtube). Anyway ......

A Song For You
Top of the World
Love Is Surrender
Sweet Sweet Smile
Ticket To Ride (Karen on Drums)
Iced Tea (Karen on Drums)
Looking For Love (Karen on Drums)
Another Song (Karen on Drums)
Bacharach/David Medley(full 12 min. Version w/Karen on Drums)
Little Girl Blue
A Song For You (reprise)

interval

We've Only Just Begun
Yesterday Once More
Help (Karen on Drums)
Mr. Guder (Karen on Drums w/ extended solo)
Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing (Karen on Drums)
A Kind of Hush
If I Had You
Crescent Noon

Encore 1

Rainy Days & Mondays
Superstar
Goodbye to Love

Encore 2
Flat Baroque
Piano Picker (for today)
Drum solo (arranged for today)

Finale
Close To You
(w/album epilogue extended and built up to such heights)

I have a little time to kill today so here is my concert set list for the Carpenters much anticipated comeback in Las Vegas with Air Supply as their opening act. Tried to convince David Gates to put Bread back together to open for our favorite duo during the one week engagement and even invited him to sing "For All We Know" with Karen onstage but he decided to remain retired. Also attempted to reunite the Captain & Tennille as my second choice to open but Toni wanted nothing more to do with Daryl. Oh well, it's showtime!

RICHARD'S introduction and entrance to "Flat Baroque" (Rises with piano from below stage, band already in place)

KAREN'S introduction and entrance to "I Need To Be In Love" (song she opened with during concert in Chicago that I attended in 1976. In my fantasy concert she would walk in from the rear of the venue singing and acknowledging the audience on her way up to the stage with cameras on her and displayed on large video screens on either side of the stage)

Top Of The World (uptempo)
For All We Know (ballad)
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (uptempo)
Solitaire (ballad)
Sing (uptempo with audience participation)

Short interval with wardrobe change for Karen

Oldies setlist:

Yesterday Once More
Help (Karen on drums)
Please Mr. Postman (Karen on drums)
There's A Kind Of Hush (duet with special guest Peter Noone)
Hurting Each Other

Short interval with wardrobe change for Karen

Standards setlist:

Rainy Days And Mondays (ballad)
Superstar (ballad)
Goodbye To Love (due to Tony's passing, Alice Cooper is the guest guitarist, he loves the Carpenters and the song)
I Won't Last A Day Without You (ballad)
Only Yesterday (recognize John Bettis in the audience prior, uptempo finish)

Encore and Band introductions:

Sweet Sweet Smile (uptempo and #8 Country Hit)
Close To You (ballad)
We've Only Just Begun (updated video on digital screens on either side of the stage)
Sometimes (special guest appearances by Olivia Newton John, Dionne Warwick and Petula Clark)

Notes: As the producer of this hypothetical concert and Karen's longtime husband, there are some tough decisions I had to make to take their format from the seventies and make it relevant in today's demanding expectations. (1) There is no piano solo for Richard but he would be shown respect for his musical genius via his entrance and leading the band and coordinating events during the concert. (2) There is no drum solo for Karen because she is now 65 years old (I am 7 years younger than my wife and look great for my age) and running back and forth between numerous drum kits would be tiring and not age appropriate. (3) I decided to stick with the hits and eliminate most of the fluff/filler songs. Concert goers want to hear the most popular songs by an artist and are willing to tolerate a couple of lessor known songs/new recordings. (4) There are no medleys, most fans prefer to hear the classic songs in their entirety. The Carpenters had 21 top 40 hits which works perfectly for a two hour performance, I left out "It's Going To Take Some Time" and "Calling Occupants" because I feel they are two of their most lightweight singles and it's my concert. (5) Though the oldies portion of the Carpenters previous gigs in the mid seventies were popular and well performed, I decided to profile actual hits they had that had been previously charted by other artists. Ringo was busy and declined to participate in my dueling drum concept with Karen on "Help".

That was fun, time for lunch!

KAREN'S introduction and entrance to "I Need To Be In Love" (song she opened with during concert in Chicago that I attended in 1976.

They opened the show with that song? That's a new one on me. Didn't they open with A Kind Of Hush and then move on to that song?

Loved your whole plan though...what a concert that would be! And you're right, I don't think Karen would be drumming at 65 years of age :laugh:

Thanks! I saw them on August 1, 1976 while attending Navy radar school and "I Need To Be In Love" was their current single. I don't recall hearing "There's A Kind Of Hush" at my concert, that song peaked in the spring earlier that year so maybe it was removed in favor of their latest Billboard hit. I do remember the Spike Jones treatment to "Close To You" and I thought it was a little corny but I was only 19 years old at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom