Carpenters get "Honorable Mention" on CNN "To

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

Today on cnn.com there is a "Top 50" list of the best "greatest hits" albums of all time. "Singles 1969-1981" earns an "honorable mention" at the end of the article.

Even though I would have put it in the Top 10, Richard & Karen are not in poor company. The Eagles' first volume of greatest hits (which is the biggest selling album in history) is also only an "honorable mention."

Elton John's first "Greatest Hits" album only came in at #33!

It's a very interesting list and the authors do clarify upfront that it's only based upon their opinions and nothing else. Which is good considering a few albums on the list were from bands that didn't really have any legitimate "hits" (from a chart perspective anyway) let alone a whole albums worth!!

Anyhow, it was good to at least see the Carpenters mentioned!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Scott

I haven't looked at the list yet, but generally I'm against "Greatest Hits" albums being included in "best of all time" lists. An "album" should be considered as a total work from beginning to end. GH albums are just collections of songs, they are not albums per se.

Although I would give a pass to the Carpenters if the original "1969-1973" singles album were included. That record has enough unique material to qualify it as an album on its own, in my book at least.

Another of these strange ...but sometimes interesting listings / polls ...always very subjective when based on reviewers personal opinons .... :o

Really having Greatest Hits poll ....that exludes many of the biggest selling & most influential artists best of's ....is just perverse ... :rolleyes:

Certainly Carpenters 1969-1973 compilation plus Eagles first Greatest Hits should be included from 1970's groups / influences ....probably some cult artist with 2 singles on a mistitled best of ....has secured top 10 position due to being a favourite artist rather than the contents of the album .... :shock:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom