Carpenters New DVD Release Feb 21, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild guess? Imported from wherever, so US copyright won't apply. The fact that it is "all regions" is a red flag; any US release would have region restrictions. A quick scan on Google for that company shows that the sources often aren't the best available, and some of the videos they offer are sourced from TV broadcasts.

Who's volunteering for guinea pig? :D

Here is the pic I forgot to post from Amazon and the details:
It is usually the back of the DVD that gives us all the clues we need. :laugh:
I don't see any A & M logo.
I am wondering if this could be the live in australia 1972 concert, if so that would be awesome!!!
  • Actors: Carpenters
  • Format:NTSC
  • Region:All Regions
  • Number of discs:1
  • Studio:IMV BLUELINE
  • DVD Release Date:February 21, 2012
  • Run Time:70 minutes
  • ASIN: B006HH5YK6

• 51RvubeVetL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It says "broadcast archives" so it was probably some televised performance from that year. If the quality is decent, that's not a bad price for it!

I still wouldn't mind getting it. Even if it's Japan or Australia. But my guess is Japan 1972 as Australia is only about 50 mins long due to commercials being put in and being edited down for slot time. Or could we possibly have another new treat on our hands? *is skeptical until further info is released*

Looks like a badly repackaged Live In Budokan 74 show. You'd think they'd put the right year on the cover. Oh well. Next please.

Did they even play "Sometimes" at the Budakon concert? I can't remember and does the time frame match more from Budakon? It's not the first time they messed up with the year but could this really be from 1972?

Did they even play "Sometimes" at the Budakon concert?

Yep.

SometimesBudokan.JPG

Track Listing of the new DVD from the listing

• Intro
  • Opening Medley
  • Top Of The World
  • Mr. Guder
  • Close To You
  • Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
  • Yesterday Once More
  • Oldies Medley
  • Sing
  • Sometimes
  • We've Only Just Begun
  • For All We Know
'72 was the year that they started doing the "Oldies Medley" in concert, preceding its actual appearance on NOW AND THEN, and they continued with this basic show for a year or so, including Budokan, right? That track listing is only missing "Help!" from the Budokan track listing (and the opening prologue and sound check).

If this is the Budokan concert (which was a "broadcast"), then it will be the first release on DVD playable in Region 1, since this is an all-region release. I still rely on my copy from the Japanese LaserDisc for this concert which I've transferred to DVD-R.

Harry

This also looks alot like the track order from the Live in Japan 2 CD set also from 74. It would be terrible if this DVD was just a rip from a laserdisc version of Budakon. If only we could see the back of this DVD. :confused:

That front cover looks like one of the usual low-on-creativity covers they are famous for, except for one thing: The logo is distorted. That right there should tell you that that Richard had nothing to do with this. Guess I'll save my money.

I also noticed on that link I posted to the DVD that if you go to the top of the menu it says "watch and listen" there you can see some of the videos of different artists. For instance I clicked on Tony Bennett and it's a youtube video but I'm assuming they are from this DVD of "broadcast archives"??? Maybe these are different labels.

What is interesting is that it says this Carpenters DVD is a MVD Exclusive and so does that Tony Bennett release. For Tony they show alot of cool clips of him along with the video, if the Carpenters is like this, there may be some interesting clips we may not have seen on DVD before.

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the inclusion of Sing in this set (not to mention Jambalaya). According to Richard's notes (from The Essential Collection booklet) "In early 1973, Karen and I guested on an ABC television special, Robert Young With The Young. One of the songs, featuring the cast, was "Sing," originally written for Sesame Street. Karen and I thought the song could be a hit (most of our associates thought we were nuts) and selected it as the debut single from our Now & Then album."

So if they found Sing in early 1973 how can the performance on this DVD be from 1972? And didn't Jambalaya not appear in concert sets until 1973?

As far as the logo being distorted, that does not in itself mean that Richard had nothing to do with this. The logo has been distorted twice on official releases; it was stretched vertically for the From The Top longbox version and stretched horizontally for the Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters DVD (see photos), both of which Richard was very much involved in.

I agree though (and think it is obvious) that Richard did have nothing to do with this new DVD. He has been very guarded about live performance releases throughout the years and we probably would have heard something from more official sources if this were a legitimate release.
fromthetop.jpg
51M5NZ76JGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Jambalaya" was a track they had finished early for the album, so it could have been done as early as '73. I think '72 is stretching credibility a bit, and this is likely a repackaging of "Budokan".

Harry

I think I worded the question about Jambalaya poorly. What I meant was that to my knowledge Jambalaya didn't show up in concert sets until at least 1973. I have never yet seen a concert set list from 1972 that included this song, which is one more thing that makes the 1972 date of this DVD performance dubious.

No, I understood you, and was agreeing with you that "Jambalaya", though an early recorded track for NOW AND THEN, and an early insert into the live program, still couldn't have been there in '72. This is obviously not a sanctioned release by the Richard Carpenter camp, and feel it's some later-than-'72 concert. What it actually is, I don;t know, but am theorizing that it's likely just another Budokan release. The fact that Budokan was a televised concert and the fact that this has some "broadcast archives" nomenclature, not to mention the track listing, all point to likelihood that some entity has gotten some kind of legal permission to reissue that old broadcast from the rights-holders in Japan.

Harry

I dubbed an audio CDR of the entire Live at Budakon 1974 video concert. For reference I was looking to see how long this entire concert (audio) was from the intro practice on stage to the very end with the Close to You medley as the credit roll (burt's version) The entire concert runs approx 1 hr 4 mins and 22 secds. If you take out the intro where they are practicing and say start with the intro where he says ladies and gentlemen the carpenters..then the concert runs 58 mins 50 secds. So if this DVD is really the Budakon concert, one wonders how they come up with 70 mins.

Who knows. I'm just gonna stick with saying it's a poorly repackaged version of Budokan with maybe some added media clips or something as bonus and they're counting that along as the full time of the DVD. Would be nice if it was a new concert recording from that tour but...

Bringing back an old topic, this DVD is being released next week on Tuesday. It appears someone has already obtained the DVD and put up a review on Amazon.

SPOILER ALERT, Stop reading now

http://www.amazon.com/Carpenters-Pe...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Some odd things, this person says Help is included, but it's not listed on the track listings previously posted here. In addition, it appears all of the intro before the concert starts was removed, in addition to the ending credits being removed. (I guess this confirms bootleg to avoid giving credits to the credits) I pulled out my concert (which was lifted from the laserdisc Budakon concert) and most of it is in Japanese subtitles but on Help there are no subtitles. This person in this review says Help has English subtitles. Does anyone know if the original Laserdisc of Budakon had English subtitles on Help?

Steve "anything phonographic", the Amazon reviewer, claims to be a big Carpenters fan. Yet twice, he mangled the title of the same song, calling it both "Mr. Gruder" and "Mr. Gruber." Ah - I see he's from Philadelphia. Say no more... :)

Harry

Oh, and the LaserDisc subtitles for "Help!" are most certainly in Japanese.HelpSubtitles.JPG

Harry

I received this DVD today, it is most certainly a bootleg rip. The back cover of the DVD has the following track listings
1. Rainy Days & Mondays
2. Goodbye to Love
3. Top of the World
4. Help
5. Mr Guder
6. Close to You
7. Jambalaya
8. Yesterday Once More
9. Oldies Medley
10. Sing
11. Sometimes
12. We've Only Just Begun
13. For All We Know

It appears to be a rip from the broadcast it is not the full laserdisc version. The DVD menu is pretty sad, just play and selections, it has the correct C logo on the main menu though. The opening is cut, no intro or anything just starts right with song #1, Richard does introduce the band so the speaking parts are still there. The quality is really decent, it's not high def just standard quality, colors are good. It might be a tad better quality than the laserdisc version I have. It's clear enough for me to see that Karen is wearing her "K" dangle ring. :) it's so clear (the ring) during "Sometimes" She really liked that K ring, even wearing it up to her solo album photo sessions. :)

It contains Japanese subtitles, Jambalaya is in English subtitles. I went into the setting of the DVD what I found odd was under audio it says german, could this have been a rip from that country to avoid rights? I don't know. The back cover does say XXL Media. There are no inserts inside and the DVD has a label with the correct C logo but it's as plain as can be no copyright anything no written words. The back of the DVD cover says All trademarks and logos protected. All rights of the manufacturer and the owner of the recorded work reserved. What does this really mean??? This was obviously not released by Japan who I would think still own the rights.

The last song is For All We Know and after they take their bow and Karen runs off stage, Richard follows and it just stops, Richard is still seen partly walking. What a poor job to cut it like that. No credits, nothing. It's up to you if you want to get this one but for me, it lacks all the special parts of the intro warm up parts, full intro and most of all the special version of Close to You played over the ending credits. This is also no 1972, it is the Budakon concert from 1974.

There are now 6 reviews of this DVD on Amazon (US) yet it is really sad to read alot of them. There are some reviewers who think Richard was involved in this project or that it was an official release and then many others that think this was from 76 or 77. The public has no clue about this DVD. They don't realize this is the Budakon concert from 1974. There are also some that think this was an official release, this goes to show you how misinformed the public is about the Carpenters legacy. Since A&M Corner Carpenters forum is so full of correct knowledge, it always bothers me when so much incorrect information gets put out about the Carpenters.

This DVD is so bootleg, it's on par to buying it from someone like say from an ebay seller or online seller, although in this case it's probably worse since it's missing the front and back video sections. I think alot of people must think if Amazon is selling it that it's official.

in the words of ABBA....then I wonder should I laugh or cry...

Chris, you should consider writing your own review at Amazon and setting the record straight. (I'm assuming you haven't - I haven't looked.) I've done reviews on a number of items and get comments from customers thanking me for the warnings about suspect items all the time - sometimes years later.

Harry

how can these bootlegs exist? Wouldn't Richard be able to sue or go after them? He didn't allow their music to be used in the "barbie" movie...it seems like he wouldn't want people profitting on there video performances either...

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom