Carpenters on Carson (November 1973)

Wow! Great to finally see this in such great quality. The comments are a delight to read. People posting en masse about the fact they could perform that well live and about Karen being an amazing drummer. Someone said something along the lines of “I knew she could drum but I didn’t know she was that amazing”.

How did you get the video footage to be so clear?

It's the best I've seen.

Maybe you could do the same for the 'Boston Pops 1974' show? :razz:
The footage above came directly from the curator of the Johnny Carson collection. The folks who control Johnny's shows, much like those who control Ed Sullivan's shows, are releasing many of the music performances on their various shows. In some cases these will air on television like MeTV or Antenna TV as complete shows, with the edited music clips showing up on YouTube.

We should enjoy them while they are there.

I'll never understand Richard's aversion to their live stuff. This is really very good. Nothing to be ashamed here.

I think his aversion was to releasing albums of their live shows, not to the actual performances themselves. After reading fans’ comments over the years I’d probably agree - there’s no way a vinyl (or CD) album could recreate the astonishing experience of hearing Karen’s amazing voice, coupled with their super-tight on-stage layered harmonies, over a superb sound system in a large auditorium. On record, the live shows always sounds a bit dull to me, almost as if they’re trying too hard. I’d bet you any money it wasn’t like that in the concert halls.

The footage above came directly from the curator of the Johnny Carson collection. The folks who control Johnny's shows, much like those who control Ed Sullivan's shows, are releasing many of the music performances on their various shows. In some cases these will air on television like MeTV or Antenna TV as complete shows, with the edited music clips showing up on YouTube.
Carson's YouTube channel uploads clips regularly. Unfortunately I get nervous when I see a guest appear on the channel because often, they have just passed, and they release a clip of their appearance. Tommy Smothers got two clips in his honor a couple of weeks ago. So many great moments.

I was surprised to see this one in my notification of new content on the channel, just about 20 minutes after it uploaded.

I've always wondered why Richard chose the "Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays and Goodbye To Love" medley on numerous TV appearances. It's an amazing arrangement and I love it but it became repetitive along with the "Bacharach" medley. Even more peculiar is why the Carpenters also performed it on the Tonight Show again 5 years later in 1978 with John Davidson as the guest host. I'm guessing that he just didn't have the time with their busy schedule to come up with any other options or they had performed both medleys so many times over the years they ended up becoming a safe choice.

Even more peculiar is why the Carpenters also performed it on the Tonight Show again 5 years later in 1978 with John Davidson as the guest host. I'm guessing that he just didn't have the time with their busy schedule to come up with any other options or they had performed both medleys so many times over the years they ended up becoming a safe choice.

I’d say the same - and also, it’s probably the most impressive way to ‘wow’ a TV viewer thinking of buying a concert ticket (don’t forget they were touring at the time) that might not have seen them live before: three of their biggest hits, performed in a six-minute medley by a superb live band to showcase their live talents. In the absence of any other huge hits (of which there were none in 1978), and with their mounting health troubles, it was probably just a case of going back to pulling something out of the drawer that they knew inside out.

I think his aversion was to releasing albums of their live shows, not to the actual performances themselves. After reading fans’ comments over the years I’d probably agree - there’s no way a vinyl (or CD) album could recreate the astonishing experience of hearing Karen’s amazing voice, coupled with their super-tight on-stage layered harmonies, over a superb sound system in a large auditorium. On record, the live shows always sounds a bit dull to me, almost as if they’re trying too hard. I’d bet you any money it wasn’t like that in the concert halls.
Spot on. Richard addressed the aversion to US live albums, 'decided against putting out a live U.S. album. Most of the songs we do in concert are already on albums. Some are on two (The Singles) and a third time around is a bit much'.

I don't have either of the live albums, but this clip from the TV Carson segment sounds great. Good point on live auditoriums, I can only imagine what it was like hearing them in person. Even hearing @Harry 's recording on his personal device from Philadelphia's Academy of Music had a chill bump effect on me. I think that would have been hard to recreate on a live album.

I’d say the same - and also, it’s probably the most impressive way to ‘wow’ a TV viewer thinking of buying a concert ticket (don’t forget they were touring at the time) that might not have seen them live before: three of their biggest hits, performed in a six-minute medley by a superb live band to showcase their live talents. In the absence of any other huge hits (of which there were none in 1978), and with their mounting health troubles, it was probably just a case of going back to pulling something out of the drawer that they knew inside out.
That makes perfect sense to me.

(They could hardly have attempted Calling Occupants 'live').

Doing the medley of "Superstar", "Rainy Days", and "Goodbye To Love" made sense as even Carson was holding up the SINGLES album, so it was good to promote the current record. The "Mr. Guder" track was there to showcase Karen on drums. I find nothing wrong at all with those choices at that time.

I get it Harry but post 1974 they still had a respectable catalog of hits to choose from and if you want to showcase your newer material and not be stuck in the past the 1978 appearance would have been a great opportunity to do so.

Please Mr. Postman #1
Only Yesterday #4
Solitaire #17
There's A Kind Of Hush #12
I Need To be In Love #25
All You Get From Love is A Love Song #35
Sweet Sweet Smile #7 (Country)

Didn't add "Calling Occupants" due to it being too difficult to perform live as Steve mentioned.

I get it Harry but post 1974 they still had a respectable catalog of hits to choose from and if you want to showcase your newer material and not be stuck in the past the 1978 appearance would have been a great opportunity to do so.

Here’s my thoughts on those post-1973 singles as contenders for inclusion on the show:

Please Mr. Postman #1 - agree. Done on the Bruce Forsyth Show same year.
Only Yesterday #4 - technically too complex and multi-layered?
Solitaire #17 - too slow and plodding for prime time TV
There's A Kind Of Hush #12 - agree
I Need To be In Love #25 - agree. Done on the Bruce Forsyth Show same year.
All You Get From Love is A Love Song #35 - there’s way too much going on in this complex arrangement to perform it live authentically with just six musicians.
Sweet Sweet Smile #7 (Country) - agree

So yeah there were plenty of other options if the program director wanted the hits.

Back
Top Bottom