• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters on Glee - Now with MP3 SAMPLE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregKarCar

Hi all...

Just found out that the cast of Glee is releasing a Christmas CD this year. Track #3 is Merry Christmas Darling. So whether or not this is tied to a new episode (I'm sure it is), we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully it's Lea Michele singing it!

Greg

...maybe a dream sequence in the show, where they can use the original video of Karen singing outside of her 'house'.

YES, Lea Michele sings "Merry Christmas Darling" on the Glee Christmas Soundtrack. She also sings "O Holy Night" on the last track. Found out yesterday at the MTV News website. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I don't mean this to be a thread-crap, but wanted to weigh in on the topic at hand.

I suppose I can understand the excitement for some of you over the fact that someone is performing "Merry Christmas Darling" in a current setting, but I have a bad feeling about about it.

This whole "GLEE" phenomenon in the music business seems to me to be an outgrowth of the AMERICAN IDOL phenomenon of the past decade. People have become somehow fascinated with new and/or live performers doing cover versions of classic tunes. It all escapes me - I'd much rather spend my time listening to the originals.

Now, here's my worry-point. Suppose that this Lea Michele thing goes over-the-top in popularity. That would mean that radio programmers would want to jump on playing this new record in their Christmas playlists. What would that do to the amount of time Carpenters' version would get on air?

As it is, Carpenters during the year get precious little playing time on radio. American radio for the large part seems to find them irrelevant. Their records get played once in awhile on nostalgia and some soft-rock stations, which themselves are harder and harder to find as radio stations try to skew their audiences younger and younger.

So consider that a popular version of "Merry Christmas Darling" by a new, hot, young thing from a TV show might ultimately supplant the yearly joy of hearing Karen's flawless interpretation of the song.

Why not both, you ask? Radio programmers are a funny bunch. When it comes to picking songs to play, particularly a narrowed playlist like a Christmas format, they'll often attempt to choose ONE version of a song to represent it in the yearly playlist. That way, the song won't bump up against itself as the music rotates around. (The less work music directors have to do in assembling music logs, the better, from their point of view.)

Programmers would surely want to avoid having a Lea Michele version of "Merry Christmas Darling" play in the same set or hour with Karen Carpenter's version. So to avoid the conflict, guess which one gets the boot? Right. They'd play the hot new version to be hip and current and with-it, and relegate the old version to the scrap heap or minimal playing time. That's not a scenario I'd care to witness. Carpenters legacy is tentative enough as is, and I wouldn't want to see the yearly reminder of their greatness fade away.

Again, I can understand the excitement over something like this new version. It doesn't particularly thrill me however, and I wanted to explain why.

Harry

Well, to me, CarpenterS are somewhere, somehow, getting some recognition even in an age where they are unfamiliar & irrelevant to today's current younger listening generation...

If AMERICAN IDOL hardly gave them a similar exposé, then somehow a reality show-concept about "joining the Glee Club being so uncool", at least makes a brave, yet somehow half-heart-ed attempt to take up the slack...

Dave

G
loser.gif
EE :laugh:

Harry:
I hope you're wrong on the potential scenario on "Merry Christmas Darling", though I do see your point. My guess is both versions would be getting airplay for years to come. Hope Karen kicks her butt, though! :)

Personally, I don't think the Karen original is in any kind of trouble, as I hear that song NUMEROUS times on the radio (in every city I travel) at holiday time.

The same can be said for "Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas" medley, "Jingle Bells", "Sleigh Ride", 'Christmas Song", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "Home for the Holidays" and "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".

I believe that as long as Christmas is around, Carpenters will be around. And don't forget their hits are still in fairly heavy rotations on '70's satellite radio. They're also played regularly on Chicago oldies '70's Sundays' radio shows.

...it isn't as nasally and helium filled as I would have expected, but do not fret.
It doesn't hold a (Holiday pun intended) candle to either of Carpenters versions. Radio play, well...Carpenters will rule for another several decades.

Most stations that seem to play these songs do play the older version. I don't see what's so great about Glee. I thought the Streisand/Garland duet, while nice to have a tribute, was more offensive than good.

I had never watched Glee before until a few weeks ago when I caught the episode where the guy almost loses his dad, while I don't think their voices are all that great, I did think 2 of the songs were not bad and incorporated into the show nicely. "I wanna hold your hand" it was a different take on a known Beatles tune and I found it moving portrayal between father and son. The other was "Papa can you hear me" I thought she did a good job at a Barbara song, not everyone can pull it off but she did a decent version and I found it moving how they incorporated it into the boy watching his father lying in hospital bed.

Merry Christmas Darling has been re-done by many artists, although I enjoy Amy Grant's version, it still does not compare to Karen's. I don't see the harm in Glee doing it, most radio stations around here have a pre-set Christmas schedule (I'm begining to think there all pre-recorded into a packaged taped each yr) they always play Carpenters Christmas tunes, especially Karen's version of Merry Christmas Darling.

I will watch Glee's Christmas special to see if they mention Karen. When will it air?

I thought this "new" version sounded thin an shrill. It was worse than when I heard Scott Grimes sing it live with Richard back in the late 80's (it sounded like a warped chipmunk Christmas tune). This version is really bad. I have no idea what "Glee" is as I don't watch "regular" network television, but this song did nothing to make me want to watch it. Carpenters version will always be the classic and I guess that is evident by everyone else recording thier own version of the song.

I understand Harry's concern, but I think the good outweighs the bad on this recording.

As a radio programmer my self, we are starved for new holiday music. There is so much time to fill, we love all we can get. I play several versions of "Merry Christmas darling" over the holidays. Each version makes me think of Karen. Each season, I search itunes for another version of this song. We play over 30 different versions of winter wonderland, why not several of "MCD"?

Look at it like "White Christmas".It is one of the most recorded songs in popular music, yet how often do you hear Bing Crosby's version? Classics never fade away, but with artists adding new life to these vintage recordings, it injects new life into the song.

It's hard to make a proper judgment on this version by Lea Michelle from that horrible-sounding mp3...

On GLEE, Lea Michelle sometimes tends to overdo her vocals, probably and partly because she does have that typical young female "Broadway" voice that is sometimes nasal.

GLEE is a lot of fun to watch. I look at it this way - when they feature music from past decades, it introduces the music and artists of that period to a brand new young audience.

While I much prefer the original versions to the songs on Glee, one has to give it to Glee for being one of the only current vehicles for actually paying homage to these historic songs. That's really what the creator is doing.

I don't think if Lea's version of Merry Christmas, Darling is going to cut out the Carpenters version. Most people don't even listen to radio these days that much anyway. Besides, even if it's not on the radio anymore, that still isn't going to prevent you from enjoying it every year. I'm sure you have it on every format available.

It's possible that someone is going to hear Merry Christmas, Darling and google it and find Karen's version and download it, or possibly find some Carpenters CDs or LPs. :)

Hmmm, I actually found it to be kinda nice! The girl scaries me a bit though, she looks like Hillary Swank or maybe a young Donatella Versace or both, which is annoying. Why is she stalking the couples in love, is she some sex maniac in the series??

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
It appears the full version of Merry Christmas Darling that will be seen tomorrow on Glee is already released on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54gXycbo1GE

After watching and listening to that, I think my fears have been allayed. Actually, it's a rather nice tribute to Richard's original arrangement, though the lead singer is a bit chipmunk-y for my taste.

Harry

richard_sloat said:
Hmmm, I actually found it to be kinda nice! The girl scaries me a bit though, she looks like Hillary Swank or maybe a young Donatella Versace or both, which is annoying. Why is she stalking the couples in love, is she some sex maniac in the series??
The couple she is watching consists of her newly-ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom