• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters Radio Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Can someone tell me when this interview was recorded? I will try to give you as much info as I can about it.

I downloaded this Interview from the Web some time ago. I don't remember where I got it, I want to say it was from BBC but I'm not sure, the DJ sounds very American not British.

The Mp3 runs about 16 min long, it starts with the music of Calliing Occupants & lead into the DJ saying his name is Richard Niles. Talks about all the hits, Close to You, We've Only Just Begun & how they came about & what is so cool about this interview is that Richard is there at the piano playing & talking about the song & the actual studio recording fade into him talking (Karen singing) then he talks about the songs.

For instance I didn't know that when they wanted the steel guitar solo in GoodBye To Love, they asked Tony Peluso & Tony told Richard that he didn't read music (I thought that was interesting) so Richard played it for him & there we have Tony's solo part. It was neat hearing Richard talk about this bit of tibit about this song.

Then he talks about how Karen doesn't take a breathe in We've Only Just Begun & holds her notes, instead of some of today performers trying to sing this song.

The DJ says he figures out the trademark vocal Carpenters sound, a 4 part close harmony sound often with seconds of inner voices, triple track. Then Richard laughs like he is amazed the DJ knew this. Richard says he & Karen would do BJ1 (Background 1 the outer parts) of the song. Then talks about the overdub. Really interesting.

Also about how he came to use the beginging intro of Rainy Days Track. Then he talks about the "hook" in Rainy Days track, he says it's not a chorus song but it still has a hook. He says it really caught his hear, so he knew it would catch the hear of the listener (boy was he ever right) so he decided to start it with the "hook"-"Talkin to myself & feeling old"

I like hearing this. I was lisenting to this on my way home tonight in my car & just was cool hearing this again.

Does anyone know the year of this interview? I'd like to record the year in my records. Thanks

Hi Chris ,

Yes -Great Interview With Richard Discussing and Explaining Carpenters
Recordings and His Arrangements on KEY TRACKS :)

Recorded in Late 2002 and Broadcast January 2003 on BBC Radio 2.

When You Listen to Programmes of This Kind -Full of Musical Interest and Great Songs -You Long For a Fuller Richard Interview Across Several Albums / Projects :)

BBC Radio 2 is Planning to Present 2 Part Carpenters Special in January 2004 -Not Sure if This is ALL NEW or Revised Repeat with Archive Unissued Material Added ? -Something to Brighten New Year With.... :o

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom