• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

CARPENTERS The Compact Disc Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is sorta like the 30th and 35th Anniversary Box Sets but I think that this was a UK Japan release in early 90s.

It has all the albums Ticket To Ride thru Lovelines but not the remastered CDs.

There is currently a high market for it.

Hi guys. This is a UK only release in 1990 when the Karen Carpenter Story was aired in the country and the release Only Yesterday in cd, cassette and lp format hit the UK chart for a string of weeks.
I don' t own this boxed set so I don't know if it comes in handy with a poster. But I have a copy of a cd single Merry Christmas Darling c/w You're The One and Close To You (AMCD716) with a photo of Only Yesterday LP, this white bound cd set (boxless) and the cassette box set, on the back of the jacket. It says 'Individually Numbered'.

I don't remember when but there was a similar Japanese release they call 'White Box' before there is 'Black Box'. As raz42289 says, it is not remastered but had a bonus cd single of Honolulu City Lights c/w Slow Dance(? I'm not sure). What in the world is this jacket pic? Jungle?
Oh that white box from Japan has a boolet by Mr. Kiyoharu Yaguchi, aka, DJ Yaguchi, a friend of Yuka's.

I have the UK limited edition box set. Dont know how many were produced, mine is serial no. 0739. No poster with mine, includes notes by Richard about each album and a few pages of biographical detail by Ray Coleman. A treasured possession!

There are two versions of this one with the CDs pressed in the UK and the one where the CDs are pressed in Germany.

The UK pressing is nicer with musical notes design on each CD from Ticket to Lovelines. I find the German pressing better sounding than the ones from the UK.

It is a numbered, limited edition box set comes with sort of a fold-out 1 page notes by Ray Coleman. Also, Richard provides his thoughts on each album where you insert the CDs - it is a binder-syle packaging.

Over-all a very nice collection but not as complete as the new Japanese 35th Anniversary Box. The versions of the CDs are that of the 80's and not that of the original masters.

The pix used for this set are exactly the same as those from Only Yesterday. So I presume it is. Wow I've never known this LP style boxset exists. It looks pretty neat. Thanks for showing us.

The box sets that I have are similar to the picture sent in by Chris - the one with the outer box.

UK pressing - CDs with musical notes screen printed on them and the CDs are "champagne" color.

German pressing - CDs are the regular silver color and no designs on them - I find these better sounding than the UK ones.

I've never seen the box set in that LP size format either - mine is the CD sixe booklet set, where each CD is housed in its own page sleeve that you turn over (like the pages of a book), to see the next one. On each 'page' were Richard's sleeve notes to go with.

Stephen

Old thread, but it will do...

In the MFSL thread, "John from Aus" mentioned that "Intermission", with its 1989 remix appeared elsewhere other than the MFSL disc and SWEET SIXTEEN. He mentioned an unnamed disc that he no longer has, and the COMPACT DISC COLLECTION. This got me curious enough to search around for a COMPACT DISC COLLECTION that might be had at a reasonable price. Surprisingly there were just two for sale on eBay, one at over $200, and one that had no bids but started at $75.

My thought was that if I could snag the $75 one it would be quite a good price. So I left the auction un-bid but "watched". A day before expiration of the auction, I got an email reminding me of its watched status. When I went to the page, it had just one bid at $75, so I knew I had competition. Bottom line is I came away winning the set at a little over $100, and it arrived yesterday. I have to say this one is immaculately clean - it looks brand new.

Now, from reading this old thread and looking at David Grant's site, I see that this set had at least two configurations. One would have been a 12x12 configuration with three pages, each holding four CDs. The one I got was the CD-sized set with the twelve album pages plus one for the notes/poster. Mine is numbered 1892. The CDs are UK pressed, silver in color, with musical notes on their face.

I've verified that the version of A SONG FOR YOU contained in this set is an exact digital duplicate of the MFSL disc. Apparently Richard favored the remix tinkering for the album and wanted it here instead of the older '80s A&M CD version. And if I understand correctly what happened around this time (1990-91), when PolyGram took over from A&M, they did some stealth reissues of some of the albums. We're aware of the change to SINGLES 1969-1973 around this time, where "Yesterday Once More" got replaced with a remix, and this A SONG FOR YOU change probably also occurred. So if you bought your A SONG FOR YOU disc later on into the '90s, then you actually got a sonic clone of the MFSL version. Once the Remastered Classics came out at the end of the decade, the disc returned to its standard LP mixes.

These pictures are from the other auction still up there, and other than the dirt on the cover which mine doesn't have, this is what the set looks like:

carp1.jpgcarp2.jpgcarp3.jpgcarp4.jpgcarp5.jpg

I always just assumed that this set had passed me by without my knowledge, but thanks to eBay, it's mine now - twenty some years later...

Harry

Harry, just curious: that photo of Karen on the sofa in the middle (from the solo sessions)- how large is that? I'd LOVE to see a good scan. My version is so small.

This is the best I could do with a scan and some quick clean-up of the folds. There are still some fold artifacts left:

scan0003.jpg

Harry

I've owned this collection for many years, CD no. 7159. I bought it from Virgin for £59.99 unfortunately some of the disc no longer playback correctly, some kind of distortion, I keep it for sentimental value. Can't figure out how to post a photo I've taken of the inside cover showing the CD no. 7159. My discs are different in colour to yours, sort of a pinky gold colour with white musical notes across the CD, but I have the same poster.

That poster with the various pictures of them is an identical fold-out replica version of the booklet contained in 'Their Greatest Hits' CD that topped the UK charts in 1990 :)

It's not in color on this insert, no. I'm sure the original is probably in color.

Just to note that I did not add the sepia tone - that's the way it scanned and I left it alone. All I did was attempt to cover up some of the fold marks on the wall behind and along the left side.

Harry

I've owned this collection for many years, CD no. 7159. I bought it from Virgin for £59.99 unfortunately some of the disc no longer playback correctly, some kind of distortion, I keep it for sentimental value. Can't figure out how to post a photo I've taken of the inside cover showing the CD no. 7159. My discs are different in colour to yours, sort of a pinky gold colour with white musical notes across the CD, but I have the same poster.

That picture of from the auction of the twelve discs isn't very detailed. Here's a scan of one of my discs, so you can see the white musical notes.

scan0004.jpg

Since shiny discs don't always look right when scanned, I can tell you that the background is a mirrored silver and the text is a matte finish, pretty much the color as scanned. I read something somewhere - perhaps another thread here - that some sets had discs of a gold color and that they turned out to be problematic - some of the infamous Polygram discs from Germany no doubt.

Harry

I've just completed a run-through of the entire COMPACT DISC COLLECTION. Here's the story about mixes used as I see it:

TICKET TO RIDE - identical to the original A&M CD
CLOSE TO YOU - identical to the original A&M CD
CARPENTERS - identical to the original A&M CD, including the two songs that were remixed, "Superstar" and "Rainy Days And Mondays"
A SONG FOR YOU - lots of remixes, identical to the MFSL CD
NOW & THEN - identical to the original A&M CD
HORIZON - identical to the original A&M CD
A KIND OF HUSH - identical to the original A&M CD, including the 1985 remix of the title track, the sped-up "You", the single length of "I Need To Be In Love", and the missing cymbal hits at :02 into "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"
PASSAGE - this has a surprise as "Calling Occupants" is the 1989 remix. Richard's notes even say that it was "remixed for this set." Otherwise, identical to the original A&M CD
CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT - it's identical to the original A&M CD of the Special Edition
MADE IN AMERICA - identical to the original A&M CD and Remastered Classic. "Those Good Old Dreams" is the remix with less synths.
VOICE OF THE HEART - identical to the original A&M CD and Remastered Classic.
LOVELINES - identical to the original A&M CD and Remastered Classic.

Harry

What a cool find Harry, we come full circle of my post from years ago, ha ha
I love seeing the photos of this set, especially the scan of Karen from her solo sessions. I've seen it but not that full length, leather pants, she looks awesome in that photo. I too would love to see an original color version in high def.

I noticed the inner ring shows "mastered by nimbus" what or who is that?

I noticed the inner ring shows "mastered by nimbus" what or who is that?
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Nimbus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh-oh. I just noticed on the scan of A SONG FOR YOU that I posted above that it lists "Road One" instead of "Road Ode" (disc and track listing)

Checking the other discs I see some other misspellings:
"Crescent Moon" (disc, notes, and track list!)
"An Old Fashion__ Christmas" (only on the disc)
"Little Alter Boy" (only on the disc)

Now I'm wondering if this is a counterfeit!

Could any of you who have the COMPACT DISC COLLECTION set please double check your discs for these misspellings? This packaging certainly looks legit - but as I said it's very, very clean, which is adding to my apprehension about it not being legit.

The fact though is that these would be legitimate mistakes to make. I've seen a number of discographies that list "Crescent Moon" instead of "Noon". And both the word "Fashion" and "Alter" are legitimate words, as is "One", so these could be honest mistakes made decades ago.

We all know about "CAREPENTERS" on the tan album's Remastered Classic.

Harry

Harry, of course I don't have it but I just checked that link I posted in my first post here and eil still has the track listings. It also shows Crescent Moon, yet they skipped over Road Ode and Little Alter Boy is also as you said so if they listed like this, I bet you have a legit set. Possibly all were like this. Hopefully someone can confirm for sure.

I can see the musical notes across the CD now, the lettering is the same colour, but my background colour is definitely not silver. The CD's are manufactured in the UK by PDO, probably an abbreviation for Polygram, pity about the distortion, it sounds like pops and crackles, really annoying, makes the CD unlistenable. I still have the price tag on the outside cardboard jacket, glad I didn't rip it off, just reminds me of the hard work I put in to compiling my Carpenters CD collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom