Carpenters: The Next Step?

How should the Carpenters market their legacy?

• Richard will finally release his Christmas album?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Similar to Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin, the Carpenters duet album with current pop stars?

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Release the television specials on DVD?

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Richard tours performing the Carpenters music?

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • A new hits collection with some unreleased tracks?

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

I hate to see this board so quiet, so I've started a poll. What do you think the Carpenters next step should be? How should Richard continue to make the Carpenters part of pop culture? I'd love to hear your thoughts?

I'm pretty sure that many here (including me) would want the TV specials on DVD, but that's unlikely to happen from what I hear. The complications of music and performance rights make the specials problematic for DVD, and Richard absolutely hates the "shtick" they were forced to do.

I'm sure we'd all accept edited versions with just the music videos, but really, we've already got a number of those on the released collections.

The "Carpenters" section is quiet right now as there hasn't been much news or new material - just those recent bootleg titles. A number of members to this site are excited about the new Sergio Mendes album just released in Japan, and the small tour being undertaken by Herb Alpert and Lani Hall. That's where all the discussion has been lately.

Harry

The Carpenters legacy will continue, no doubt. I don't think Richard would consider a duets album, and I don't think his Christmas album will be considered a CARPENTERS album, because it's his solo album.
As a fan who would pay for Karen singing (or speaking) anything, I'd love to have unreleased tracks both from the Carpenters and Karen Carpenter, in any manner, whether it be Greatest Hits compilations or single tracks sold off of the Carpenters website.

Somehow I think Richard will release his Christmas album...

That seems more likely than any "duets" with current Pop Stars, though perhaps that's an idea worth entertaining, if not something much like the last current Sergio Mendes releases have been... Perhaps a project like that might follow...

I expect a Richard solo tour may emerge... Though I think he's likely to reflect a lot on the "backgrounds of songs" with dialogs (hard to do much else without Karen) so I think a few snippets of each piece and his own commentary would be all that materializes there...

Specials released on DVD? Maybe given that they haven't all been released and whenever the time becomes ripe for "new product" to substantiate, then be it...

Ditto for whatever "leftover" material, audio-wise is left in the vaults... A 1- or 2- CD set is in order, though are some of those unreleased tracks "without vocals", in the sense that someone could be "added there to take the lead"...???

Dave

I have always wished Richard would do a "talent search" and find a promising young female vocalist and create a new Carpenters-type record with that singer. Not a "soundalike," but just a new record with a very talented singer who could use the same kind of break R&K had when they were starting out.

Of course he'd have to use a different band name, logo, and etc but he could still use the same arranging style and "sound" he had with Karen. Obviously there is no replacing Karen, but to me this idea would be better than a bunch of 30-year-old cutting-room-floor stuff or another rehash of the greatest hits.

I'd just like to see Richard still actively recording. This is what Sergio Mendes is doing, with new young talent, and he's getting great results. Of course it's a different set of circumstances, but I think some new material to go along with the always-available older music would be great.

I guess I'm not as sentimental as some about this, but a majority of that discarded Carpenters material was left off the original albums because Richard didn't think it was good enough for release. For the fans to keep clamoring for every last scrap to be heard, to me is sort of disrespectful. But that's just me, your mileage may vary.

HOW SHOULD THE CARPENTERS MARKET THEIR LEGACY?

Well,Karen Carpenter is dead,so she has no say in the matter.And,Richard can't market their legacy either,because he's still living.A legacy is something that is left behind after someone passes away.Karen has a legacy,but it's not much.She only recorded 13 albums,and half of them are out-of-print.NBC-TV owns the TV specials,and it would be their decision to license the rights for DVD release.As far as releasing a compilation with unreleased tracks,that's already been done-several times,and nothing more will be forthcoming.

Unfortunately,what Karen doesn't have in her legacy is the status of a great legendary singer.Today,25 years after her death,she is still "classified" as "The 70's pop singer who died of anorexia".Karen is more famous for the circumstances regarding her death,than for any recording she ever made.

I went for the "television special" choice. While I can understand that Richard hates the "schtick", hopefully he'll be able to get past his embarrassment one day and seem them for what they are.

As for his Christmas record, I seriously doubt there are enough people that care enough to see it. The Carpenters' appeal had little or nothing to do with his voice. Whether he likes it or not, it's about Karen's voice. As talented as he is, the truth is that his two previous records haven't sold in anything approaching large amounts so a third undoubtedly wouldn't either. Frankly, I'm surprised A&M is even footing the bill for him to make another record.

Ed

NBC-TV owns the TV specials,and it would be their decision to license the rights for DVD release

That's not actually true. Karen and Richard co-owned the TV specials, which is why they had license to go back and re-record their own vocals over the top of Ella's and John's for the 1980 special.

Also I don't think a tour will ever happen. Richard has been semi-retired for years now and I think is probably too busy with his family life and supporting the arts in Thousand Oaks, to ever contemplate a tour. To be honest, I don't think there would be an audience for it. People forever associate him with Karen, and if she's not there, there's no real major draw for audiences to turn up and fill arenas to see him play piano. If he did something like the Elvis tour, with the original Carpenters band, an orchestra and Karen replayed on video screens as the 'star' of the tour, then maybe that would be different.

I don't think the specials will be released in Richard's lifetime. Maybe after. It all depends on who he hands over the rights to. With A&M, he's had absolute rights since 1976 to veto anything he didn't agree to.

Stephen

Mike Blakesley said:
I have always wished Richard would do a "talent search" and find a promising young female vocalist and create a new Carpenters-type record with that singer.

I agree. Richard's brand of finely-crafted pop music is sorely missing these days. It would be refreshing to hear it. :)

I am looking forward to the Christmas album, but I must confess it's only because there may be a new Karen vocal in the mix.

It would be great for Richard to work with guest vocalists, I'm not crazy about him looking for another 'voice'.

In the end, I would love a DVD - not necessarily of the specials, but of them singing various songs on the specials. I have a video (converted now to DVD) of all of their numbers from the "Make Your Own Kind of Music" series. It's great to see them performing the #'s from the Offering/Ticket to Ride and Close To You albums. So energetic and young; Karen played the drums on many of those songs. The quality of the performances are pretty good considering they're over 30 years old. Clean copies of these, and there performances from their specials, would be incredible.

STEPHEN-K&R did co-own the rights for the TV specials-the part they owned were the master tapes for the music! NBC(obviously) owns the visual part.With any movie or TV show featuring music,you have both audio and visual(sound and motion picture)-and there's usually different ownership rights for both.

ED-Richard's two solo albums definitely didn't sell in the "largest numbers",as you stated.Actually ,most A&M corner fans probably don't know this,but Richard's "Time" was one of the worst selling albums in A&M history.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the CARPENTERS TV shows on ABC and owned by Richard and Karen Carpenter?

Will we even see Richard's Christmas album this year? Not that I expect much to happen because of it, though.

aaflyer98 said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the CARPENTERS TV shows on ABC and owned by Richard and Karen Carpenter?

Carpenters' specials were on ABC. MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC was on NBC.

Harry

most A&M corner fans probably don't know this,but Richard's "Time" was one of the worst selling albums in A&M history.

I know Karen's album didn't sell that well either, but isn't it the case that it shifted 100,000+ copies in Japan? A reputable source mentioned that on another forum.

Stephen

I like the idea of releasing the TV shows, too, but from reading all the negative comments, it doesn't seem likely.

Another unlikely thing, but one I think would be cool, would be to release Karen's vocals on top of brand new arrangements (not simply remixes). You know how fresh "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again" sounds, right? It would be so neat to hear Close to You without the dated trumpet sound, For all We Know without the lush strings, or Rainy Days and Mondays without harmonica, etc. Don't get me wrong; I love the Carpenter's music the way it is, but the question had to do with continuing the legacy and I think that will be with new audiences who don't relate to some of the Percy Faith-like orchestrations.

update: I just realized some of the same things were said in the post about radio play and "too much orchestration." Sorry to repeat the sentiment. But again, I have always thought a dance mix or something would be really neat.

Hey,

So we have Good Vibrations/Coming through The Rye. Make Me Laugh from the Dorothy Hamill special. Dance in The Old Fashioned Way duet. Couldn't RC edit John Davidson and John Denver as he did with W/O A Song? At this point I kinda doubt these will see the light of day on record but the idea of a TV special compilation would be most welcome. That way a few of these songs could finally be enjoyed and treasured by CarpenterS mongers.

JEFF

Couldn't RC edit John Davidson and John Denver as he did with W/O A Song?

Hi Jeff

I may be wrong, but I think it's for two reasons. The first is that I think some of those vocal duets, like the ones with John Davidson and Suzanne Somers in the later special, are locked into one track. The recording process was much more sophisticated by the time they got to 1980, so Karen's vocal could be rescued.

The other thing is I don't think he particularly likes any of the music from most of the specials, so it's always going to be a struggle to get him to release much of what's still out there.

Stephen

PATRICK- I think your right -the TV specials probably were on ABC,but that means ABC owns the specials! A recording artist(generally) can't own a TV show-TV stations and broadcasting companies usually retain the rights to their own film.Recording artists can own the master tapes for their music,and that's the ownership rights that K&R have for the TV specials.

MSTAFT-Richard's Christmas album might never be released.This was an album that he supposedly recorded about seven years ago in his own studio and on his own dime.To my knowledge,he's not signed to any label currently.If any label did consider signing him,they would look at the sales figures for his two previous solo albums.

STEPHEN-Karen's solo album sold well under 100,000 in America,but it's possible that it sold 100,000+ in Japan.Several albums actually sold better in Japan than in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom