1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

CARPENTERS VINYL REISSUES: Audiophile Discussion

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Feb 6, 2018.

1. I received the box set from Santa last Christmas and finally cleaned four of the LPs. I've played two so far; A Song For You and Lovelines (no special significance). Overall, I'm impressed with the sound. One observation (on both records) is the lows seem more prominent than the highs. There are rich bass tones throughout, and the vocals, strings and horns (middle sounds) sound great. The subtle highs like woodblock or high-hat cymbals seem drowned, even lost, in the mix. A small complaint, yes, but I've always been a fan of percussion. I first cleaned them with Disc Doctor fluid (a good product for cleaning and reducing static). Even so, between songs, or in the emptiest passages between notes, sometimes there are tiny ticks or pops; then when the music returns, the overall quiet returns. In that respect, the 180gm vinyl (my first exposure to it) isn't too different from clean (mint or unplayed) vintage vinyl. As a lifelong Carpenters fan, I had to have the vinyl box set--just for the experience of owning it. As far as listening to their albums, I will continue to choose whichever format (legacy vinyl, CD, 180gm vinyl) matches my mood at the moment. Each has its subtle differences and nuances. It might be fun to wear a blindfold and see if I can guess which format I'm listening to! LOL

2. The album version is also the single version in terms of vocals. The version you dont like is what was played on the RADIO. Remake never charted. Makes sense to use original I think.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware the remake was never issued as a 45. Although it would've been interesting to have seen it issued in support of the 69-73 album.

Kristopher likes this.
  4. I only bought Lovelines. I’m an audiophile and pick up little differences. It sounds like it came from the red book source for Lovelines 1998. The extra bass and treble is because of whatever stylus and cartridge you are using. Tracking and VTA are also crucial for true quality. Original Lovelines wins in depth.