• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be some tracks were held back depending how sales go, universal could ask Richard to do another alum with the RPO. It does seem odd why some songs were not selected.

I personally feel this might be the only Carpenters RPO album and since we are getting a Christmas track we won’t see any of their Christmas albums being done with RPO.

I’m really excited though to here these Greatest Hits with RPO.

I know I’ve posted this earlier in the thread but just listen to what the RPO can do to transform a song. When I first played the album “blind” (without peeking at the tracklist) and heard this orchestral intro, I didn’t have a clue what song it was leading into. The surprise came just as the drums kicked in at 0:32. Listen to the difference the RPO makes throughout. The little additional flourishes here and there throughout the verses are just sublime. It’s this kind of “newness” to the songs I’m most looking forward to hearing. I wasn’t really a huge Aretha fan but hearing this album awakened a huge interest in her music for me. Imagine what it’ll feel like hearing tracks from our favourite duo with this treatment and how many new fans the album will garner. I literally cannot wait for this album.

Last edited:
It could be some tracks were held back depending how sales go, universal could ask Richard to do another alum with the RPO. It does seem odd why some songs were not selected.

I personally feel this might be the only Carpenters RPO album and since we are getting a Christmas track we won’t see any of their Christmas albums being done with RPO.

I’m really excited though to here these Greatest Hits with RPO.

John already said nothing else was recorded other than what was used.

Ed

John already said nothing else was recorded other than what was used.

Ed
Although he did say that in the case of “All You Get From Love” and “Santa Claus”, they were already scored out but scrapped before seeing the RPO, so Richard could always use those scores for a future album with or without the RPO.

But I will say that I’m disappointed that AYGFLIALS was cut as it is one of the Carpenters Top 3 tracks.

Also it would’ve been interesting to hear the ballad version of “Santa Claus” since that was made for an orchestra.

But I will say that I’m disappointed that AYGFLIALS was cut as it is one of the Carpenters Top 3 tracks.

I won’t deny it, I was really disappointed this song didn’t make it as well. I think it suffers from the Only Yesterday syndrome. It’s already a really busy track, especially in the choruses.

I know I’ve posted this earlier in the thread but just listen to what the RPO can do to transform a song. When I first played the album “blind” (without peeking at the tracklist) and heard this orchestral intro, I didn’t have a clue what song it was leading into. The surprise came just as the drums kicked in at 0:32. Listen to the difference the RPO makes throughout. The little additional flourishes here and there throughout the verses are just sublime. It’s this kind of “newness” to the songs I’m most looking forward to hearing. I wasn’t really a huge Aretha fan but hearing this album awakened a huge interest in her music for me. Imagine what it’ll feel like hearing tracks from our favourite duo with this treatment and how many new fans the album will garner. I literally cannot wait for this album.

Your right that intro is not only amazing if the title wasn’t already on that video I wouldn’t have known it was scored for that song. This makes me even more excited to hear this.

I wondered what peaked Richard’s interest in doing a project like this? I’ve never heard him discuss in any interviews about doing something of this nature. In fact I’d go on a limb to say I’m surprised because the Carpenters recordings have never been (for a better word) tampered with in altering the original sound.

I’d like to hear from Chris May, do you have any idea what sparked an interest in Richard doing a project of this sort? I have no doubt it’s going to be a spectacular new release.

With proper marketing and a holiday release I could see it eventually going platinum in the UK and hopefully gold in the US. Wonder if Universal has plans to release it in Japan also?

With proper marketing and a holiday release I could see it eventually going platinum in the UK and hopefully gold in the US. Wonder if Universal has plans to release it in Japan also?

The plan for the December release is to have it become the #1 album on the UK charts during Christmas week. This is a big thing in the UK every year. This album will hopefully be a popular holiday gift.

This will be big in Japan. I am not sure how big it will be here in the US.

Your right that intro is not only amazing if the title wasn’t already on that video I wouldn’t have known it was scored for that song. This makes me even more excited to hear this.

I wondered what peaked Richard’s interest in doing a project like this? I’ve never heard him discuss in any interviews about doing something of this nature. In fact I’d go on a limb to say I’m surprised because the Carpenters recordings have never been (for a better word) tampered with in altering the original sound.

I’d like to hear from Chris May, do you have any idea what sparked an interest in Richard doing a project of this sort? I have no doubt it’s going to be a spectacular new release.

My guess, as I stated in an earlier post, was that possibly Richard heard (and liked) the Beach Boys RPO recording. When I sampled it, however, the songs didn't sound vastly different to my ears. I will listen to the above Aretha song and see if I notice a difference. Knowing the Carpenters' catalog as intimately as I do, I'm certain my ears will catch each and every new element.

This is a sublime example!

This is a sublime example!

Agreed. A sublime example, but I confess, the remainder of the Aretha symphony album plays, for me, like a series of orchestral song intros and then the familiar pop instruments take over, and we’re listening to a typical hits collection again, as you point out with the Beach Boys album (with slightly audible strings in the background, sometimes?).

The audio on those albums (Aretha, Beach Boys) feels busily murky, as well, like too much is going on (reminiscent to the “unmusical” moment on the “Yesterday Once More” reprise). Hoping for more of a crisp, sonic contrast on Richard’s new Carpenters album. Very excited for this album.

We've learnt a lot about this album (mostly thanks to @John Eidsvoog !) So I compiled this little "fact file" of information regarding the album:

Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Produced by Nick Patrick and Richard Carpenter
Arranged, conducted and orchestrated by Richard Carpenter

Release date: December 2018

Recorded: at Abbey Road Studios in London, UK (from 13-15 August for a total of 24 combined hours with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) and at Capitol Records in Los Angeles, USA

Track list:

1. Carpenters Overture
2. Yesterday Once More
3. Ticket To Ride
4. This Masquerade
5. Superstar
6. Rainy Days And Mondays
7. Goodbye To Love
8. I Just Fall In Love Again
9. Please Mr. Postman
10. Those Good Old Dreams
11. Hurting Each Other
12. I Believe You
13. For All We Know
14. Baby It's You
15. Touch Me When We're Dancing
16. Close To You
17. Top Of The World
18. I Need To Be In Love
19 .Merry Christmas Darling
20. We've Only Just Begun

Karen Carpenter's vocals are featured on all tracks which have had music re-recorded with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Some bass, drum and piano parts have been re-recorded/overdubbed. Extended intro's, outro's and segues have been recorded.

The orchestra has re-recorded original lines, enhanced lines and new lines and harmonies.

So far no Vinyl LP plans are known.

Although he did say that in the case of “All You Get From Love” and “Santa Claus”, they were already scored out but scrapped before seeing the RPO, so Richard could always use those scores for a future album with or without the RPO.

It's a great tune but I don't think it needs an orchestra. It's an uptempo thing that doesn't need the weight of an orchestra on it, IMHO.

Ed

I don’t know if anyone else has wondered this but...just imagine what Karen would think of this album if she were around to hear it.

I think she would of loved it. This is album is a labor of love!

That said, she probably would of wanted to re-record vocals, that were perfect already, and driven Rich crazy! Sorry, the album has now been delayed until spring 2019...........because Karen thought she could improve some of the vocal parts.
Who are we to argue?

We've learnt a lot about this album (mostly thanks to @John Eidsvoog !) So I compiled this little "fact file" of information regarding the album:

Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Produced by Nick Patrick and Richard Carpenter
Arranged, conducted and orchestrated by Richard Carpenter

Release date: December 2018

Recorded: at Abbey Road Studios in London, UK (from 13-15 August for a total of 24 combined hours with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) and at Capitol Records in Los Angeles, USA

Track list:

1. Carpenters Overture
2. Yesterday Once More
3. Ticket To Ride
4. This Masquerade
5. Superstar
6. Rainy Days And Mondays
7. Goodbye To Love
8. I Just Fall In Love Again
9. Please Mr. Postman
10. Those Good Old Dreams
11. Hurting Each Other
12. I Believe You
13. For All We Know
14. Baby It's You
15. Touch Me When We're Dancing
16. Close To You
17. Top Of The World
18. I Need To Be In Love
19 .Merry Christmas Darling
20. We've Only Just Begun

Karen Carpenter's vocals are featured on all tracks which have had music re-recorded with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Some bass, drum and piano parts have been re-recorded/overdubbed. Extended intro's, outro's and segues have been recorded.

The orchestra has re-recorded original lines, enhanced lines and new lines and harmonies.

So far no Vinyl LP plans are known.

To everyone involved, great detective work, of course with some expert help! :)

I like the track listing. It's not just a greatest hits package, I am delighted that "I Believe You" will get a second wind. That was the first song I thought of when I heard about the RPO concept. Like many of you I wished for "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song," but I totally respect Richard's choices. I'm sure he knows which songs will translate best in this format. This is truly a bonus that I never expected in a million years.

Richard has moved his Steinway to other engagements and to Capitol Records more than once before. It's a massive 9' grand in his basement and it's hard for me to imagine the difficulty in moving it, but as you all seem to know, he's very particular. In his basement studio, he also has an upright and an electric grand as well as another beautiful Steinway grand in his living room. (I hope I'm not invading his privacy with this info). :)

BTW, when I say "basement", it may give the wrong connotation. He has an amazing house and I should probably call it the lower level. His studio has dozens of gold and platinum albums on the wall. There's even one over the toilet downstairs. I laughed the first time I "stood there".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom