• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has an amazing house and I should probably call it the lower level. His studio has dozens of gold and platinum albums on the wall. There's even one over the toilet downstairs. I laughed the first time I "stood there".

Richard has been featured on a couple of documentaries filmed at his house in Thousand Oaks, most notably the 2007 BBC documentary “Only Yesterday” as well as the Japanese “Carpenters Forever” special from 2002. It looks amazing.

Richard's house and pool looks really impressive from above via Virtual Globetrotting. Very contemporary and meandering design which differs from most of the other neighboring homes. He appears to have one of the largest lots in his gated community and you can make out the silver "C's" imbedded into his inner driveway plaza which is surrounded by numerous garage entrances. He is a "car guy" after all!

Richard's house and pool looks really impressive from above via Virtual Globetrotting. Very contemporary and meandering design which differs from most of the other neighboring homes. He appears to have one of the largest lots in his gated community and you can make out the silver "C's" imbedded into his inner driveway plaza which is surrounded by numerous garage entrances. He is a "car guy" after all!

On the corner of his block, there is a lifelike statue of a high-stepping little boy with an American flag. When I first started going there, I used this as a landmark, knowing his house was the house after the one with the statue. After visiting a few times, I realized that it was all the same house! It's quite a distance from one end to the other, maybe a tenth of a mile? It's only a single-story house unless you count the basement. I asked him if he logs a lot of walking every day and he said yes.

I agree John, the house does cover some distance from one end to the other. Am guessing that Richard and Mary decided against dealing with stairs during their golden years when they hired the architect. Noticed the music room and adjacent hallways adorned with many gold and platinum records on previous documentaries, you are a lucky man to have scene it all in person on numerous occasions!

Has Richard ever taken you to his "Yesterday Once More" warehouse to check out his car collection? Noticed that Heather Locklear's residence is just up the canyon road and visible from Richard's home. Had the pleasure of meeting Richard (and Karen) in 1976 and he was very gracious and genuine. The responses from his appearances on Leno's Garage have been extremely favorable with many comments showing respect for his passion for automobiles along with his music acumen. He's a class act in my opinion!

Remember the only other Carpenters album to be recorded at Abbey Road in London was "An Old Fashioned Christmas" and the overtures and intros, segues ect are stunning, imagine that with regular Carpenters music .I think we are in for a treat !

This release will encourage Carpenters fans to purchase this recording, but who else is this project aimed at? For any profitable return, this would have to be a global release, not just UK. A lot of advertising and promotion will have to be done to bring this release to the attention of the global audience. Carpenters were pretty much global during the height of their fame, and still retain that global attention. Airplay on radio stations will be limited, there's a lot of stations that just will not play Carpenters in any shape or form. Selling this album to the masses will not be that simple, I hope they have a dedicated and motivated marketing team behind this project.

This release will encourage Carpenters fans to purchase this recording, but who else is this project aimed at? For any profitable return, this would have to be a global release, not just UK. A lot of advertising and promotion will have to be done to bring this release to the attention of the global audience.

It all depends on what market they’re aiming for with this. Carpenters have always had a longer lasting popularity in UK and Japan than in the US. The Elvis “If I Can Dream” album had a massive international marketing push and sold 1m units in the UK alone and 1.2m units worldwide. The Roy Orbison compilation was a UK only release, didn’t have the same promotional push and only sold 100,000 copies. Roy’s popularity is limited mainly to the UK market anyway. The marketing campaign for this album will be key but they are still hugely popular in non US territories so I can see the album doing well. I also think it’ll be album of the week on UK BBC Radio 2 :)

So lets look at the timings of this...

1. Carpenters Overture (??)
2. Yesterday Once More (3:50)
3 .Ticket To Ride (4:10)
4. Rainy Days And Mondays (3:36)
5. Superstar (3:49)
6. Goodbye To Love (3:50)
7. For All We Know (2:35)
8. Close To You (3:42)
9. We've Only Just Begun (3:04)
10. Top Of The World (2:36)
11. Hurting Each Other (2:46)
12. Please Mr. Postman (2:50)
13. I Need To Be In Love (3:35)
14. Baby It's You (2:50)
15. I Just Fall In Love Again (4:02)
16. I Believe You (3:54)
17. Those Good Old Dreams (4:12)
18. This Masquerade (4:50)
19. Touch Me When We're Dancing (3:20)
20 .Merry Christmas Darling (3:05)

So adding up the times of those original tracks gives us 61:50 then add in the overture, extended intros & outros and we're looking at over 70 minutes ?

I agree John, the house does cover some distance from one end to the other. Am guessing that Richard and Mary decided against dealing with stairs during their golden years when they hired the architect. Noticed the music room and adjacent hallways adorned with many gold and platinum records on previous documentaries, you are a lucky man to have scene it all in person on numerous occasions!

Has Richard ever taken you to his "Yesterday Once More" warehouse to check out his car collection? Noticed that Heather Locklear's residence is just up the canyon road and visible from Richard's home. Had the pleasure of meeting Richard (and Karen) in 1976 and he was very gracious and genuine. The responses from his appearances on Leno's Garage have been extremely favorable with many comments showing respect for his passion for automobiles along with his music acumen. He's a class act in my opinion!

Richard has only spoken about "the warehouse" regarding retrieving music from storage. I've never been there and didn't know that's where his cars are.

Richard has only spoken about "the warehouse" regarding retrieving music from storage. I've never been there and didn't know that's where his cars are.

Hi John, the music (as in the original master tapes) is stored in a vault at Iron Mountain in Pennsylvania. His “Yesterday Once More” warehouse, which is near his home in Thousand Oaks, houses some of his personal memorabilia, including his scores and musical charts, as well as his cars.

"YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" WAREHOUSE: Richard's Car Collection

Hi John, the music (as in the original master tapes) is stored in a vault at Iron Mountain in Pennsylvania. His “Yesterday Once More” warehouse, which is near his home in Thousand Oaks, houses some of his personal memorabilia, including his scores and musical charts, as well as his cars.

"YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" WAREHOUSE: Richard's Car Collection

It's been my understanding that the original multis were burned up in the Universal fire.

Ed

The 2014 Interview with Richard Carpenter:
"SACD...a lot of those Masters...they went up in the fire..." (16:35)
"...so all of the first-generation stuff is pretty much gone..." (16:45).

Fortunately in 2018 it is rather easy to order from places around the planet. I remember back when As Time Goes By came out that it was much less easy.

It was't all of them was it? I had thought it was only some.
It was whatever was needed for the SACD project (which was pretty much most of the non-seasonal tapes, so probably most of what’s left for first generation analog is the Christmas and solo album tapes and anything related to any TV specials and anything else). But as I recall, before the tapes left Iron Mountain, digital backups were made of all of them, so this RPO disc is probably using those backups, which would be better quality than 2nd or 3rd Generation analog copies.

It may be tough for the C's to get a #1 in the UK this time as they are going to be up against some tough competition. Cilla Black - who is a long-time (and popular) artist in the UK is also getting the RHO treatment. The difference with her her is that she is also including 4 brand new songs (including a duet or 2), not to mention the new ABBA material comes out that month as well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

^^And let's not forget that Cher's album "Dancing Queen" is due out Sept 28th!:wtf: I apologize to any Cher fans in this forum, but she just seems like such an easy target...

It seems there’s another one due in November: Cilla Black with the Liverpool Philharmonic ...

That one will be great! Liverpool was her home town, so that's a nice nod to the Liverpool Philharmonic. It's likely it will go head to head in the sales with the Carpenters album at Christmas.

Cilla Black - who is a long-time (and popular) artist in the UK is also getting the RHO treatment. The difference with her her is that she is also including 4 brand new songs (including a duet or 2)

They must be from the vault or archive - she died in August 2015.

I like Cilla Black, the one Brit who failed to conquer the American charts in the 60's. You guys across the pond shoud give her a listen! but if her album is released in November won't it be fizzling out by the time the Carpenters are ready to shoot back to the top?

I like Cilla Black, the one Brit who failed to conquer the American charts in the 60's. You guys across the pond shoud give her a listen! but if her album is released in November won't it be fizzling out by the time the Carpenters are ready to shoot back to the top?

Yeah I like Cilla too. She has some lovely lesser known album tracks such as Liverpool Lullaby and Love Of The Loved (which is my favourite of hers and on the new album). The tracklist and product description can be found here and here.

Its release date is 16th November and I reckon Carpenters will be released late November or early December, so they'll be battling it out on the Christmas charts at virtually the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom