Christmas Portrait Redux update?

So Chris, is this an example of the RPO treatment for the new Christmas project....or is this a completely different minor "touch-up" that just happens to have come out while we've had our fingers crossed for the CP redux?

So Chris, is this an example of the RPO treatment for the new Christmas project....or is this a completely different minor "touch-up" that just happens to have come out while we've had our fingers crossed for the CP redux?

I asked that question a few weeks back: there is no Christmas RPO album forthcoming, with re-recorded orchestra etc. The original recordings and production were lavish enough.

All that’s being done is a digital clean up of the original tracks and vocals, similar to the removing of aircon rumbles and other background flaws, and bringing Karen more to the forefront sonically, that we heard on songs like ‘I Just Fall In Love Again’ for the RPO album.

I asked that question a few weeks back: there is no Christmas RPO album forthcoming, with re-recorded orchestra etc. The original recordings and production were lavish enough.

All that’s being done is a digital clean up of the original tracks and vocals, similar to the removing of aircon rumbles and other background flaws, and bringing Karen more to the forefront sonically, that we heard on songs like ‘I Just Fall In Love Again’ for the RPO album.
Oh i know that, Stephen, but to my ears the changes on HYAMLC are light years from the splendour of the "love again" treatment...in fact the changes are so slight I'm still not sure I'm hearing what you guys are all hearing.

I listened through my wireless ipod earbuds this morning, and wow! I listened to It’s Christmas Time/Sleep Well first. The same sound as usual. Then there is a slight change over to the sound for Have Yourself…. It’s much much cleaner, and clear. Karen is center, then slightly right of center, then left of center, and back. It’s like she’s walking around a little while singing. It’s sonically superior to the other tracks. I’m guessing it takes quite a bit of time to remix each track to make them sound this good. I just hope it’s ready by next Christmas if we missed it this time. Pretty nice to have this one track for now.

I listened through my wireless ipod earbuds this morning, and wow! I listened to It’s Christmas Time/Sleep Well first. The same sound as usual. Then there is a slight change over to the sound for Have Yourself…. It’s much much cleaner, and clear. Karen is center, then slightly right of center, then left of center, and back. It’s like she’s walking around a little while singing. It’s sonically superior to the other tracks. I’m guessing it takes quite a bit of time to remix each track to make them sound this good. I just hope it’s ready by next Christmas if we missed it this time. Pretty nice to have this one track for now.

Oh i know that, Stephen, but to my ears the changes on HYAMLC are light years from the splendour of the "love again" treatment...in fact the changes are so slight I'm still not sure I'm hearing what you guys are all hearing.
"Sonically superior" ?
"Changes are so slight..." ?

We seem to have a significant difference of opinion here...

Guess I'll have to judge for myself when I hear it - if I ever hear it...

If anyone’s expecting to hear an entirely new version of the track, that’s not what it is. What you will notice immediately upon Karen’s first note, is that it sounds like she is singing right in front of you, inches away, with almost no reverb. I don’t have sophisticated enough speakers or headphones (just an old pair of Bose QC) to hear more. But wow….Karen’s “Atmos’d” vocal is just amazing.

If anyone’s expecting to hear an entirely new version of the track, that’s not what it is. What you will notice immediately upon Karen’s first note, is that it sounds like she is singing right in front of you, inches away, ...
I've noticed that remarkable presence - that warm, close up intimacy - before on some other songs she has graced us with, such as "One More Time" and "Ordinary Fool" - and, surprisingly, there's a touch of that in the soft, gentle, tender way she sings "Sandy"...

Can you imagine being somewhere private with Karen and she was snuggled up close to you singing lovingly in your ear...

I've noticed that remarkable presence - that warm, close up intimacy - before on some other songs she has graced us with, such as "One More Time" and "Ordinary Fool" - and, surprisingly, there's a touch of that in the soft, gentle, tender way she sings "Sandy"...

Can you imagine being somewhere private with Karen and she was snuggled up close to you singing lovingly in your ear...
I Can Dream Can’t I

Spatial Audio Mixes or Dolby Atmos happens when a project file is submitted by an artist to Dolby (this is a long process for each track which is most likely why we only the one track from Christmas Portrait so far), and if accepted by Dolby, the track is converted to Atmos format. Once Dolby can confirm it is using Dolby Atmos on the track, the metadata is sent to all streaming platforms that support Atmos, and then the platform decodes Atmos how they want.

Speaking of Dolby Atmos…

Last edited:
Speaking of Dolby Atmos…

I'm very excited about this, and the new song "Now and Then." John sang it in 1979, George added guitar parts in the 1990's, and now with technological advances isolating John's original vocal from the piano, Paul and Ringo are finishing it up. This will truly be the last song that all four Beatles collaborated on.

I'm very excited about this, and the new song "Now and Then." John sang it in 1979, George added guitar parts in the 1990's, and now with technological advances isolating John's original vocal from the piano, Paul and Ringo are finishing it up. This will truly be the last song that all four Beatles collaborated on.

I’m looking forward to hearing it too. It’s a very simple but pretty song. They’ve sampled the vocals from three other Beatles tracks for the ending, including my all time favourite, ‘Because’.

‘Now and Then’ was originally going to be on the third disc of the Anthology collection, so that each of the three discs had a new track leading it off. George Harrison felt at the time that John’s vocal wasn’t of good enough quality, so work on the track was abandoned. With advances in AI technology, they’ve now been able to properly extricate his clean lead from the mono vocal/piano demo that was on the cassette given to them in the 1990s by Yoko Ono.

Last edited:
Chris seems to be staying tight-lipped about this 'Have Yourself' update ... perhaps there's an official announcement coming very soon!

Is this the new version? It sounds different from my version with all the reverb.
One commenter: "Richard has done a fantastic job updating this new version."

Is this the new version? It sounds different from my version with all the reverb.
One commenter: "Richard has done a fantastic job updating this new version."

Must be - sounds great - don't hear any reverb - all proving once again that Karen didn't need anything, including another "Karen" singing along - to sound stunning and marvelous.

Yep - that’s it :)

One comment made me chuckle… “I listen to this version with little or no reverberation and now I feel like somethings missing:doh:
Other well known members have commented in this thread that the reverberation in the original track worked very well and thought it was necessary to carry her voice to that highest bow. So, doesn't taking it away equate to something's missing?

Other well known members have commented in this thread that the reverberation in the original track worked very well and thought it was necessary to carry her voice to that highest bow. So, doesn't taking it away equate to something's missing?
Welcome to the Boards, @wilmor!

Posted on the official Carpenters instagram account, there's a 30 second clip of the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" lyric video and the caption says "Remixed in 2023, Karen's vocals in "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (her favorite from the Christmas sessions) never sounded better." Hmmm.

I think most agree though that the remixed version of CP - most of which was drenched in reverb - was the wrong move. This fixes that and puts Karen front and centre where she belongs.

One thing I would say though is on that climactic ending, the orchestra has been mixed almost out of the track completely, which was always part of the charm as Karen held that long note on “bow”.

I know many folks love this song, but it just doesn't do it for me. Karen sings great as always, but the whole melody seems lacking. Just one (unpopular) opinion.
Me too. I mean it's a standard and it's beautifully executed in every way, but it's not a favourite of mine. Don't quite know why.

Back
Top Bottom