• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Christmas Portrait Redux update?

It’s on the Christmas Portrait Special Ed. on iTunes. All the cuts say “lossless” except Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas “Dolby Atmos”. When I tried to play it through my blue tooth speakers the Dolby Atmos logo disappears. The same thing with blue tooth in the car. I only get it while playing it over my iPhone speakers, which are okay, but not the Dolby Atmos experience
Let me try this! I went on and it wanted me to subscribe for like $10.99 a month! But since I already have purchased CP SE, I wonder if it will automatically update it for me on my ITunes account?

It's easy to take a track that is complete and release for stream without necessarily having to release an entire project.

Plus, these days the music biz is much more about "songs" than "albums." They could release a song or two every couple of months for time and then at the end, package it all together in to an "album" for those who want the physical version, or prefer an album-length streaming version.

Spatial Audio Mixes or Dolby Atmos happens when a project file is submitted by an artist to Dolby (this is a long process for each track which is most likely why we only the one track from Christmas Portrait so far), and if accepted by Dolby, the track is converted to Atmos format. Once Dolby can confirm it is using Dolby Atmos on the track, the metadata is sent to all streaming platforms that support Atmos, and then the platform decodes Atmos how they want.

Atmos is a speaker playback. There are two main mix formats (at the moment). One is Dolby binaural render/audio and the other is Apple Spatialized Audio.

I can speak in infancy to the Apple and Amazon subscriptions. I find that the Apple Spatial Audio will not generally recognize non-proprietary devices, meaning it works best with AirBuds, Apple products etc. The Dolby Atmos version is currently streaming on Amazon Music. I am using Amazon Music for Atmos simply because my WiiM streamer works better with Amazon than it does with Apple. I also love that I can more easily switch from stereo to Atmos to easily compare what I am listening to.

I am only using bookshelf speakers for my streamer. The more expensive Dolby enabled speakers I believe are more for geared for systems. Location and placement of the speakers is more important for enjoying Atmos when you keep it simple. So to wrap it up, when I activate the Atmos option on my device, will I enjoy the Atmos or Spatial Audio experience? Absolutely. Will speaker choice further enhance my listening experience? Absolutely.

The rabbit hole is the wide variety of gear you can use for an ultimate Atmos setup i.e. what speakers are you using, what monitor control you have. This can get quite involved with 5.1 and 7.1 etc. and how you want to center the sound and get wide dispersion patterns. Generally, unless you are using Atmos for a home theater, you most likely won’t go this route.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
When I first heard Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in Atmos, it was surreal hearing Karen brought forward, as she should be. Thanks, Richard.

Blasphemy, I know, but maybe it's because Have Yourself is not one of my favorites... but I don't find this new Atmos version all that great. (I'll hide now.)

Mark, you don't have to hide unless you are planning to jump out and scare us for Halloween. :laugh:
I have to admit that this new mix is not that different and it maintains its basic qualities of the original album track, but I do hear a noticeable difference in the purity of sound and her vocal in particular is akin to the sound on the RPO album.
It does give me a thrill since Have Yourself is my favorite, and she sounds more present than ever on this Atmos treatment. (I've listened to it about 30 times so far :D)
It will be interesting to hear the full album of new mixes, hopefully one day.
I do wish that the new mix would play in the regular track rather than just the Dolby Atmos version. (Thanks for explaining the process, Nemily)

...but I do hear a noticeable difference in the purity of sound and her vocal in particular is akin to the sound on the RPO album.

I've been listening to the RPO album a lot lately, precisely because her vocals are so upfront and present, and thus even more compelling - so, now if HYAMLC sounds THAT good I can't wait to hear it!

It does give me a thrill since Have Yourself is my favorite, and she sounds more present than ever on this Atmos treatment. (I've listened to it about 30 times so far :D)
One of my favorites too - she nails the vocal on this about as well as anything she ever recorded...

I've been listening to the RPO album a lot lately, precisely because her vocals are so upfront and present, and thus even more compelling - so, now if HYAMLC sounds THAT good I can't wait to hear it!

One of my favorites too - she nails the vocal on this about as well as anything she ever recorded...
My absolute favorite Karen vocal of all. Thank you all for alerting us to this version.

It's more straightforward on Tidal.
Follow the Dolby Atmos logo - and get an extra delight.

Merry Christmas, DarlingS. 😜😉
Looks like the hint didn't quite land. :3
Well... If your device supports Dolby Atmos, turn it on while playing RPO's Merry Christmas Darling.
Do you feel the chills I feel?

(Apple Music users, be sure that Dolby Atmos is set to "automatic" or "always on".)
Apple Music.png

Has anyone in the UK been able to find this yet? If so, please could you let me know where? Thanks
I’ve found it via Apple Music - not in my library. It’s remarkable to spot how clear Karen’s vocal is - and the VERY different absence of the choir’s backing vocals (bar the bridge, which retains the choir). It’s beautiful. Can’t wait to hear the rest of the album in this format.

Looks like the hint didn't quite land. :3
Well... If your device supports Dolby Atmos, turn it on while playing RPO's Merry Christmas Darling.
Do you feel the chills I feel?

(Apple Music users, be sure that Dolby Atmos is set to "automatic" or "always on".)
Apple Music.png

Thanks for this, Panda.
WOW. That was a treat! It does some fun sweeping "surround" effects as the song progresses, doesn't it? I'm even hearing a few things from the orchestra I haven't heard in the previous RPO track. Who knew this kind of sound could be experienced with AirPods?! 😁

Still no clue on finding this. Links? Directions?

Cheers
Neil
Me neither - mostly computer illiterate - as a more "mature" gentleman I struggle to get things done on & around the internet - detailed, SIMPLIFIED directions please...(assume I know nothing, which will be fairly accurate).

Cheers too,
John

Speaking of directions, what is the exact step-by-step for quoting and replying to multiple posts of multiple people in ONE of your own posts?

Speaking of directions, what is the exact step-by-step for quoting and replying to multiple posts of multiple people in ONE of your own posts?

As you go down the thread and see messages you’d like to quote, click “Quote” to the right of each person’s message, for all the individual messages you want to include, then when you hit “Reply” at the bottom in your own new message dialogue box, you’ll see it says “Insert Quotes”. Eh voila.

If you are an Apple Music paid subscriber using the latest version of Apple Music on any apple device i.e. iPhone, iPad, Mac, you can access Dolby Atmos by the below directions. Also double check that you have the latest version of IOS or ipadIOS. You don't necessarily need the newest device, it just needs to most recent IOS update. If you need help with that just say.

Apple Music is not the same as iTunes, which is a library. If the device that you want to listen to with Dolby Atmos is not an iPhone, or not an Apple subscription i.e. it could be Amazon Music or Tidal, just say what it is and we can try and help.

On your Apple device go to settings > scroll down and find and tap the Apple music icon > find the Audio section and tap Dolby Atmos. There should be three options, automatic, always or off. Turning on automatic, the songs with Dolby Atmos format will give you that Dolby Atmos/spatial experience. If a track is playing is Dolby Atmos, the Atmos badge will appear on the Now Playing screen on your device.

Last edited:

Apple Music is not the same as iTunes, which is a library. If the device that you want to listen to with Dolby Atmos is not an iPhone, or not an Apple subscription i.e. it could be Amazon Music or Tidal, just say what it is and we can try and help.

Nice directions @Nemily, but it's just as I feared - if one doesn't have a paid subscription to Apple Music, or Amazon Music, or any other Music Service Provider then one is SOL...the only thing I use is the free version of iheartradio, which seems to provide me with most of the music I want to hear these days...which isn't much.

Dolby came about in the late 60’s and in the 70’s, initially meant for Cinema. I remember when all things music began to display the Dolby trademark, however you needed an AVR to even hear it. For music, the Dolby computer algorithm is still best enjoyed on multi-speaker systems (the more speakers the more accurate, emphasis on height/ceiling speakers) or Certified Dolby Atmos Headphones from a mobile device that can decode it. It is still a work in progress.

Back to our beloved Christmas Portrait. The music industry as a whole contributes to 84% of all music revenue coming from a streaming platform and 78% of that is a paid subscription. Of the paid subscriptions, the Amazon Music and Apple share is only around 27%.

What percentage of the remaining market share for streaming has a pending interest in encoding the Dolby Atmos audio? How will the new HYAMLC and future tracks from Christmas Portrait be accessible to the other 73% that do not have these subscriptions?

These new tracks wouldn’t even be possible if Richard hadn’t created the project file and submitted it to Dolby Labs. I am with @Chris I would like to hear the new mixes without Dolby Atmos. I love HYAMLC in Atmos however when I listened to Merry Christmas Darling on RPO in Atmos and I didn't care much for it because the vocal was completely overwhelmed by the orchestra mix. I wonder if Richard's new tracks can be rendered to a stereo audio (change 3D back to left and right) that can be played on any device and what that would sound like. Are these tracks only meant as an up-mix on a streaming platform that is able to decode it? Just wondering what the end game is.

Back
Top Bottom