• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

C's F/C posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

This got my attention...

Yesterday, while taking a Spring walk ( oh, Happy Spring to all of you "cornerites") I stumbled upon a FRAME SHOP. I went in and told them of a vast collection of posters and such from the Downey Fan Club. I wanted them framed in faux chrome, mounted, complete with glass that has UV protection, a new foam backing that doesn't contain acid bearing woes. Well, the friendly "Beard's" woman took me thru the store bearing her wares. I tell her I need to preserve some 30-35 y/o posters. Her co-worker asked "who are the posters of"? I said CarpenterS. "Who"? "I'm not familiar with that name"...Oh Honey...you must have been born AFTER '75 and he said YES! 1976! I took it upon myself to rattle off 6 or 7 classics and he looked at me befuddled. He the asked "do they have a logo that I might recognize"? Well, that was all it took...within a split second, my short-sleeve was "up" and unveiling my CarpenterS tattoo. This didn't register either but I had introduced the two of them nonetheless. So this framing extravaganza costs roughly $200.00 per poster 15 posters. You do the math. I told them that as soon as I have a wad I'll be in. Maybe not to some of you folks, but to me that's quite a little chunk-o-doe. Karen will have to be content with shrink-wrap for now.

Beyond my financial indulgence,

Jeff

Jeff, funny story. You'd be suprised at the younger folk that have never heard of them, my neice & nephew had never heard of them either until they got into my car & listened to my kind of music. :D

Regarding the posters, sounds like you went to a high end frame shop. I actually did the same thing as you, when I got my Voice of the Heart poster size 25 X 25 framed. I took it to a local frame shop that has been established for a long time here, they wanted $200.00-$220.00 to frame it. I rolled it back up & said no way.

Went to a local arts & craft store called Michael's Arts & Crafts, they have a full frame shop in the back of the store, I used a store coupon for 50% off my order. If you remember my picture I posted a while ago, it has a nice wood frame that accents Karen's chestnut colored hair. I also got the Non-Glare glass, I have it displayed in my music room. They did a great job framing & final cost to me was only around $80.00. So shop around.

Yes, custom frame shops are more expensive than places that deal in high output like Michael's. Like Chris said, Michaels does a decent job. Not sure if they carry the UV protection conservation glass though. You usually get more personalized care and more options at Custom shops, but it depends on how particular you are. The best thing is to visit a couple of different places and get a feel of them to see if they will meet your needs. Perhaps you could choose just one or two of the posters and get those framed to start with, Jeff.

Another place you can try, Jeff, is a stitchery shop. Most do custom framing for their clients' stitched pieces which can be very tricky to get straight and aligned properly. The one I frequent also does art prints and posters and all sorts of stuff. Because stitched work requires careful attention to an acid-free environment, they are better equipped than most to advise you. Try it out!

Marilyn,
yes, I am a stitcher!! :D

Here is the poster that I had framed. The non-glare glass makes all the difference. Had to snap it on an angle to avoid flash return.

Karen%20Carpenter-VOTH%20Poster.jpg

More framed Karen.

This is one of my portraits I had framed in a metallic copper color and rosey-gold matt. I did not use non-glare glass but went with the clear, and as you can see it sometimes presents a problem with light sources. The thing that bothers me about non-glare is that it has a bit of a frosted look and is not as clear. Wish they'd somehow come up with a non-glare glass that still is completely clear, but then that may not be possible.

karenframed.jpg

Chris, that is awesome, is that an actual poster or one of your paintings? Id love to have that even if it was a smaller version. Nice purple colors too. Nice framing too.

I never thought that the non glare glass may not be as clear, however mine is pretty clear. I just can't stand glare & reflections, I have a movie poster framed & went with regular glass (to avoid cost), I regret it now cause even with a regular lamp in the room, there is too much glare & opening the windows with the sun in the room is also bad glare.

Tell me more about your poster. :cool:

Hi Chris. Yes, that's a color pencil portrait. Glad you like it.

Glare can be a real problem in a room with windows. I wish things could be framed without glass :freak:, but unless it's painting on canvas, things that are on paper need to be covered to keep them clean and protected as you know.

Hi Guys,

Thanx for your input! I thought that I was going to have to sell an organ to finance Karen's facelift.

Jeff

OMG, I didn't realize that Chris was actually Chris Tassin. I love your paintings and sketches. I am sure that Karen really would appreciate what you are doing. Too bad none of your paintings are for sale. :sigh:

Andrew, thanks for waking me up!! My goodness, I didn't realize we had Chris Tassin on the corner! A celebrity in our midst! For those who don't know, and I would guess that's very few people, Chris did the wonderful drawings for Ron Garcia's book on Carpenters, "Close to You". You have a great deal of talent, Chris! Is any of your work on sale anywhere?

Marilyn

Here is another poster that I have in my music room, took this kinda quick tonight so it's not the best snapshot, this is in a temporary frame until I can get it framed professionally, I plan to take off the Nokia border. The title As Time Goes By always makes me feel as if Karen is sleeping in a timeless state. Then Richard is looking away, then there is the car, a classic shot.

Image002karencarpenter.jpg

Chris, that poster of "As Time Goes By" is so beautiful.

Andrew, Mark, Chris, and Marilyn, thanks for the kind comments about the artwork. I don't have any originals for sale right now, but I hope to get some more prints together in the near future. If any of you are interested in prints, send a private message and I can then let you know when I have them available.

Unfortunately I can't really update the online artwork gallery because I do not own it or run it. The owners of KarenCarpenter.com do. I can recieve mail through it though.

Chris

What are the dimensions of the AS TIME GOES BY poster? It looks really big, but I only thought there was a smaller (11" x 17"???) poster produced for that release. LOOKS GREAT!

Randy

This is gonna drive me CRAZY until I secure one. I'll be after my contact at Tower records until he produces. What a perfect accent. A new CarpenterS release complete with promo poster. Yessirree!

Scrog the dog,

Jeff

Regarding the "As Time Goes By" poster, I got this off ebay a few years ago, must have been shortly after the time the CD was released. I sent an email to the seller days before the auction was to close & asked if this was an original & not somesort of photocopy. The seller assured me that it was an original, the seller told me that it was used to promote the Cd & was issued only in Japan.

Now that I think about the title & the use of Nokia, it has a sorta natural ring..punn intended. :tongue:

The poster measures 15 X 20, this includes the complete Nokia Border. There is the A & M logo at the bottom right corner along with the Universal logo too. It's hard to read but it also states at the bottom in white letters:

"The Collection span the years 67-80. Taken from Demos, Outtakes, Live Performances & Television Specials. Featuring The Rainbow Connection, Nowhere Man, Karen/Ella Medley and More. 14 Unreleased tracks digitally remastered. Sleeve noted and compiled by Richard Carpenter"

Can I ask your opinions, when I have it framed professionally would you clip the border off? I think it would look better without the border. But I've had it so long now that I have gotton use to the blue border.

I agree with Andrew, leave it the way it is. Clipping the border would reduce the poster's collectible value. If you would rather display it without the border, have the frame shop cover the border with a mat.

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom