Defending Karen's Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
In reference to a previous thread...

Speaking of Karen's voice, I was never so angry as when an aquaintance referred to her as, "The guy in the Carpenters." He then referred to Richard as, "The girl." "Where do you get that?!" I exclaimed. "She sounds like a man; he sounds like a girl," he laughed. I failed to see the humor. It's true that Karen had a high-to-low range, but she never sounded like a man to me!

What amazed me was the clarity and purity of her voice toward the end of her life. She was better than ever. Crystal clear, right on key -- astounding.

The loss of Karen Carpenter was a hard one for me...

I recall being home in California (I was a flight attendant for Eastern Air Lines out of Florida at the time). I had arisen to a beautiful day, gone swimming at the local college, grabbed a breakfast croissant at Jack In The Box, went home and plopped myself down in front of the TV to watch The Price Is Right. They cut in with a special announcement during the program. I was stunned.

I remember that moment as if it was yesterday. Another flight attendant and I were talking about Karen, the insulting acquaintance and her death this afternoon. Thought I'd share my thoughts with ya'll. Like all of us, when Karen passed away, I felt as if I'd lost a friend. Her gift was that astounding voice. Thank God we have recordings to remember her by. :wink:

Jon

Jon,
I did not see that thread.
That was a cheap shot! :evil:
Karen should never have to be defended! She was like an angel.

Steven J. Gross said:
Jon,
I did not see that thread.
That was a cheap shot! :evil:
Karen should never have to be defended! She was like an angel.

Hey Steven...this was in reference to the "Karen's Vocal Range" thread...that's what I was referring to. :)

Jon

Steven J. Gross said:
Maybe Karen is lookin' down and saying "alright Jon!"

I hope so...she's one of the greatest vocalists of all time. :)

Jon

...in appreciation of Karen Carpenter, online...

I met her for 30 seconds at LAX in 1976, surrounded by her people, told her how much I liked her music, and got a beautiful smile and "thank you". Again, like an angel.

To me, Karen Carpenter isn't an angel ( an angel is a spiritual creature, not a human being), but she has the most beautiful female voice in this world.

But if you listen to the early tracks, like on OFFERING, she really doesn't sound very female. In my opinion, her voice became clearer, softer and more female, the older she got.

Richard's voice is truly not very masculine, but he doesn't sing like a woman, ofcourse.

In her early years, Karen behaved like a tomboy ( I think this is the correct expression for a girl, who behaves like a boy). But that changed during the years, too.

Richard Carpenter doesn't look like a woman, ofcourse. But he is not the most masculine man in this world either.

So, I can understand a little, what that person meant in saying "Karen was the guy, Richard was the girl".

Bruno
trying to understand things on a psychological basis

Bruno said:
To me, Karen Carpenter isn't an angel ( an angel is a spiritual creature, not a human being), but she has the most beautiful female voice in this world.

Steven said "Like" an angel -- he didn't say she was an angel.

Bruno said:
But if you listen to the early tracks, like on OFFERING, she really doesn't sound very female. In my opinion, her voice became clearer, softer and more female, the older she got.

Richard's voice is truly not very masculine, but he doesn't sing like a woman, ofcourse.

In her early years, Karen behaved like a tomboy ( I think this is the correct expression for a girl, who behaves like a boy). But that changed during the years, too.

Richard Carpenter doesn't look like a woman, ofcourse. But he is not the most masculine in this world, too.

I agree that Karen's voice softened and matured with time. She discovered the strength of her instrument. However, when listening to songs like "Someday," one can't help but feel the longing of a teenage girl, as opposed to that of a woman singing the song. I never thought of her as "masculine," per se.

Richard has a very distinctive look and sound. I've heard higher voices (look at Montez!) And yet, I never thought of him as "the girl" either.

Bruno said:
So, I can understand a little, what that person meant in saying "Karen was the guy, Richard was the girl.

The acquaintance who made this comment about Karen being the man, Richard being the girl, said this following Karen's death. He was speaking in reference to later material -- not Close To You or Offering-wise. However, I understand what you're saying as well. Their initial image was sowewhat dowdy, that's true. And, this was hardly the case at the time of Karen's death.

Bruno said:
trying to understand things on a psychological basis...

Very literal, indeed. It does make sense.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom