• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I searched the archives for this title thread but after 10 pages couldn't find anything.

I know we've talked about this song and how Richard corrected the damage on the master tape on the intro by replacing Karen's with his own.

But I was wondering if anyone else thinks Karen's vocals on this track sound so silky, maybe that's not the right words but I think one of the reasons why I love this track so much is the smooth delivery by Karen, it's hard to describe but it's almost effortless by her.

What am I looking to describe this? It's like when she first says, "Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy.." It's like, if you could touch these words it would be like silk to the touch.

I'd also like to get your opinions on:

Do you think the single 45 version of this is rare? Also why do you think Richard picked this track for the 45 single to back Little Altar Boy?

It was the choir that was damaged on the first part of this song since Richard is using the choir on the 2nd part again on the first part, why didn't Richard just extract the entire choir off the whole track & leave Karen's first part & then maybe just re-do the whole choir again. Maybe this was impossible? Due to Karen's vocal being attached to the choir on the original tape? I've never understood that part.

I learn something new everyday.

Chris, I believe that this song was b/w LITTLE ALTAR BOY because it is one of the best songs from the two Christmas albums.

I believe the damage to the original tape also affected Karen's vocal and not just the choir, hence Richard cut and pasted the choir into verse 1 and sang the words himself. That's why the choir echo doesnt match the lead lyric

(RC: Do you see what I see? Choir: Do you hear what I hear?).

I don't think Richard would have compromised Karen's vocal on verse 1 for any other reason.

Stephen

PS I'd kill for a copy of that 84 Christmas single promo!!! :laugh:

I think Richard's vocal makes Karen's intro to the song even more dramatic and special.
"Silky" is a great description- and the oboe part underlying the first line adds to it.
Definitely one of my favorite Christmas tracks!

Didn't Murray(?) post Ev's answer to his letter?
I wonder if old topic was moved to Holiday Forum. I don't think so. But if it was moved, can we read it again or it was deleted?

Sakura

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I know we've talked about this song and how Richard corrected the damage on the master tape on the intro by replacing Karen's with his own. It was the choir that was damaged on the first part of this song since Richard is using the choir on the 2nd part again on the first part, why didn't Richard just extract the entire choir off the whole track & leave Karen's first part & then maybe just re-do the whole choir again. Maybe this was impossible? Due to Karen's vocal being attached to the choir on the original tape? I've never understood that part.

Very interesting, indeed. I did not know that about this song. I have to admit that I really like it opening with Richard, setting the stage for Karen later. It sounds great. The technical details on this song would be a good question to ask Richard one of these days. I would love to know the nature of the glitch on the master. -Chris

I love RC's intro. This and the overture to OLD FASHIONED X'MAS IT COME UPON...are two of my fave RC performances. I also agree, the point that Karen comes with that lower register nearly smacking you in the face is dramatic and mood altering. I had intended to put off my Xmas music til Dec 1, making it more special upon the first listening. However, with you guys munchin' on this thread, I'm left with no other choice than to have a MERRY X'MAS DARLING.

Jeff

Jeff, I really agree, Richard's intro really makes this song perfect. It's sorta like anticipating Karen's entrance soon to come.

I was listening to this out walking today and I thought to myself. I have this song embedded in my memory and it's become part of me but I was thinking that for Karen...the second first is not really her first grand entrance on this track. However to me it is cause that is all I and (we) have ever known. But Karen actually recorded the first part so just something to think. What a great track this is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom