• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

EVERYBODY WANTS TO CALL YOU SWEETHEART: Randy Edelman song

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Has Karen ever done this song? It was written (and maybe recorded) by Randy Edelman... I know the Carpenters did one of his songs, "I Can't Make Music" and Richard did his "Piano Picker" as a solo vocal and "piano pickin' tune", so this song comes to mind...

I have a version by The 5th Dimension on a CD with a bunch of Live songs and Rare Studio tracks that mostly sound like a bunch of washed-up demo's...

I think it's a good song, when decently delivered, and even has a bit of a "Rainy Days & Mondays" melancholy feel to it...

Dave

I have the 5th Dimension version...nice lead vocal by Florence LaRue (which was done right after Marilyn and Billy left in 1976 (after the amazing Earthbound album) and remained unreleased until it showed up on a number of bootlegs in the 80s and 90s). Never noticed that Randy Edleman wrote it. I suppose I can hear Karen singing it.

Yes, "Everybody Wants To Call You Sweetheart" WAS recorded by Edelman, himself... [1975] On his 20th Century LP, Prime Cuts (T 448)...

Still think this song and maybe a few other numbers on the LP would sound good sung by Karen, such as "June Lullabye" (the last song, which has a fairly touching feel) "Bluebird" (which was done by Helen Reddy) and "Where Did We Go Wrong"...

...Really wishing Karen and Richard had done more of "The Randy Edelman Songbook"!

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

YOU from the Hush album was also written by Edelman.

His greatest hit song was propably WEEKEND IN NEW ENGLAND, performed ofcourse by Barry Manilow.

Bruno

Maureen McGovern also did a version of "Everybody Wants To Call You Sweetheart", on her 1974 LP, Nice to Be Around (20th Century Records, T 439), which has the Paul Williams-written (and once recorded) Title-Track, as well...--Hmmmm...maybe Karen should've recorded that, too!

...It was a follow-up to her 1973 release (her debut?) The Morning After... (20th Century, T 419)

Again, I really wish Karen had a chance to do this number; sadly, I think Ms. McGovern sounds a bit like Twiggy...! :shake:

Dave :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom