Fake Signatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycem

Hi All,

Was just browsing ebay for Carpenters stuff and came across the following http://cgi.ebay.com/RICHARD-AND-KAR...mZ7548732426QQcategoryZ61QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem To me these signatures really don't seem to have come from Karen & Richard, what do all of you think? From other posts I've read on this forum it seems that ebay is riddled with either fake or illegal items for sale, surely something can be done about it. Makes me extremely dubious to buy anything off that site....

Bryce

I'd be wary of this particular item too. The signatures don't look right to me, particularly Richard's. And Karen's looks like her style, but it looks faked.

eBay is full of scammers, so be cautious about things that are signed unless you really feel it's genuine, Sometimes you just know...

With that said, there are many wonderful items available through eBay - things you never thought you'd see in your life, and things you never knew you needed.

Harry

I checked up on this, and according to Richard, these are *not* authentic. He also said that he has not ever seen this "bookmark" before. Just FYI. -Chris

You can find good stuff on Ebay if you're careful. It's helpful to know what a genuine signature looks like for comparison.

Those "private auctions" seem suspect to me. The seller keeps the high bidder's identify concealed so he or she can't be warned they're about to get stuck with a fake.

Some of those "power sellers" who've got tons and tons of 'signed' items should be approached with caution. You'll see a lot of alleged Bob Dylan autographs, which is odd, considering he's notorious for turning down those who approach him in person.

Finally, a person has to do a little research. If you see a 1981 FACES DANCES album by the Who "signed" by Keith Moon that's an obvious fake. Moon died 3 years before that album was released. I guess some sellers would have you believe he signed posthumously.

I'd guess it would be easy for an unscrupulous seller to obtain a real RC autograph and add a phony Karen signature to justify a high opening bid.

JB

Funny you should mention that Jim, there was a copy of 'An Old Fashioned Christmas' on ebay not long ago, that featured Karen's autograph on the cover :laugh: :shock:

newvillefan said:
Funny you should mention that Jim, there was a copy of 'An Old Fashioned Christmas' on ebay not long ago, that featured Karen's autograph on the cover :laugh: :shock:
Oh That's too funny. The extremes people go to...I just hope nobody really believed that one!

If you go to Ebay & see a Karen-signed copy of VOICE OF THE HEART, LOVELINES or her solo CD be suspcious .... very suspicious.
JB

avoiding 'creative anachronisms' online

I saw that "Old Fashioned Christmas" one signed on there as well. That guy was forced to pull his listing early too. It totally amazes me the length people will go to. -Chris

There's an Ebay dealer who says she's selling her ex-husband's signed album collection, which she was awarded in the divorce.
Didn't even want the stuff but made sure he didn't get to keep it.
That's one cold-hearted, vindictive individual I'd say.

Some of her items look authentic (Neil Young) while others (The Who) don't. Maybe she sold most of the legit ones and decided the money was so great she'd manufacture a few more.

Cold-hearted, vindictive .... and greedy.
JB

It's not really my place to do so but I sent the seller an email quoting what Chris said about Richard never seeing the bookmark before and if you will take a look at the listing now it's been stopped by the seller due to an "error"...

Crummy people, the lot of them. Maybe this seller realizes he's been caught. I just feel bad for the sucker - the private high bidder - who almost had to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom