• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite Love Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrumpetBoredom

I am trying to compile an Ultimate Trumpet Love Song CD, and I was just wondering what your favorite Herb Alpert (or any other trumpet player's) love song was?

Thanks!

TrumpetBoredom said:
I am trying to compile an Ultimate Trumpet Love Song CD, and I was just wondering what your favorite Herb Alpert (or any other trumpet player's) love song was?

Thanks!

A few that I can think of would be "More And More Amor", "Rendezvous", "Until We Meet Again" by Herb; "If You Know Me Any Longer Than Tomorrow" and "Doin' Everything With You" by Chuck Mangione. There's bound to be some Chet Baker stuff that would work.

Capt. Bacardi

I think Herb's version of "MORE" should be on any trumpet lovesong list, also Bert Kaempfert's version of "RED ROSES FOR A BLUE LADY" would be a must. You couldn't go wrong with Herb's version of "LOLLIPOPS AND ROSES" either...and don't forget "WHAT NOW MY LOVE" by the TJB...there's also "MAE" from GOING PLACES, too. How about Perez Prado's "CHERRY PINK AND APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE"? Harry James' "CIRIBIRIBIRIBIN"[did I get that one right?..never sure of the number of syllables...]?

Dan, thinking that the list could go on and on....

And I just thought of another one...James Last's "GAMES THAT LOVERS PLAY"...there's a lot of strings, but the melody line is carried by a couple of trumpets...at least the first couple of verses...the strings end up taking over, but that first verse is marvelous!:cool:

Dan, thinking he'll remember still others long after he goes offline...

DAN BOLTON said:
And I just thought of another one...James Last's "GAMES THAT LOVERS PLAY"...there's a lot of strings, but the melody line is carried by a couple of trumpets...at least the first couple of verses...the strings end up taking over, but that first verse is marvelous!:cool:

Dan, thinking he'll remember still others long after he goes offline...

Well, I'm still online, but I DID think of another song for the list...how about "THE NICEST THINGS HAPPEN", from the SUMMERTIME album ? It's a nice change of pace from the usual lovesong stereotype...very jazzy, has almost a combo feel to it...and I think it was one of Julius Wechter's greatest works, as well as one of Herb's best solo efforts...John Pisano never played better, the Wurlitzer electric piano[with a slight hint of vibrato..is it Pete Jolly or Roger Kellaway?] is excellent...one of the greatest collaborations of a group of the world's best musicians of any time, IMHO...spontaneous feel...ad-libs abound...somebody HAD to have tears in their eyes when THIS recording session was over...and it was written at lest 6 years before it was recorded...

Dan, knowingly and deliberately overselling the tune, but no jury would EVER convict me... :tongue:

I am by no means a big Wynton Marsalis fan (quite the opposite at times), but one of my all-time favorite trumpet albums was his Hot House Flowers. "Stardust" being my favorite on the album...might fit in good with other love songs, especially this rendition of it.

It's a little more uptempo than what you might be looking for (it's a samba), but "Pretty" from Mike Metheny's newest CD, Close Enough For Love, is a great song. It's not quite trumpet, though--Mike often plays the EVI (Electronic Valve Instrument), which is actually set up and played like a trumpet, but its output is electronic. Same principle as the EWI, but not as common.

An EWI is like an EVI...and vice versa. :wink:

OK, now I'll be serious. An EVI is played like a trumpet, with a trumpet mouthpiece and all, but the output is electronic. An EWI (electronic woodwind instrument) is the same--it is blown on and fingered like a woodwind, but again, the output is electronic. It isn't so much a sound as it is the frequency that is output, along with the "inflections" of playing a wind instrument. The output is then fed to a synthesizer, which means it can sound like just about anything. The best parallel I can think of is the synclavier, which Pat Metheny makes use of.

A lot of 80's woodwind musicians (mainly sax/flute players) used the EWI, but the EVI is quite rare. I believe they were made by Akai. (eBay sometimes has EWI's for sale...looks like a square, electronic soprano sax.)

Offhand, the only recordings I can think of with an EWI are a select few Yellowjackets songs. Bob Mintzer plays mainly tenor sax, but also plays EWI, soprano, and bass clarinet. Other guys like Tom Scott tend to use it also.

Rudy said:
Offhand, the only recordings I can think of with an EWI are a select few Yellowjackets songs. Bob Mintzer plays mainly tenor sax, but also plays EWI, soprano, and bass clarinet. Other guys like Tom Scott tend to use it also.

There's an EWI played on Herb's Under A Spanish Moon album, played by Steve Tavaglione. You can hear it on "Ancient Source". Michael Brecker played it extensively for a while in the late 80's - early 90's.

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy said:
An EWI is like an EVI...and vice versa. :wink:

OK, now I'll be serious. An EVI is played like a trumpet, with a trumpet mouthpiece and all, but the output is electronic. An EWI (electronic woodwind instrument) is the same--it is blown on and fingered like a woodwind, but again, the output is electronic. It isn't so much a sound as it is the frequency that is output, along with the "inflections" of playing a wind instrument. The output is then fed to a synthesizer, which means it can sound like just about anything. The best parallel I can think of is the synclavier, which Pat Metheny makes use of.

A lot of 80's woodwind musicians (mainly sax/flute players) used the EWI, but the EVI is quite rare. I believe they were made by Akai. (eBay sometimes has EWI's for sale...looks like a square, electronic soprano sax.)

I saw one of those demonstrated on the Today Show...don't remember who played it, but it was set up to play the melody line and an octave above and below it at the same time...sounded beautiful, as I remember...I just didn't know what it was...

Dan

Hey, thanks for the ideas! I know I can always come here for some awesome song ideas, you guys are always a big help.

If you have any more ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'll post the final list of songs around Valentine's Day.

Mike Blakesley said:
James' "CIRIBIRIBIRIBIN"[did I get that one right?..never sure of the number of syllables...]?

I think you've got one too many "BIRI"s in there.

CIRIBIRIBIN

That's the ticket.

So that's what a CIRIBIRIBIN was...a ticket...and I always thought it was an old Packard... :rolleyes:

Dan

Check out Maynard Ferguson's update on "Stardust". It's from his otherwise mediocre small band stuff from the eighties called "High Voltage". But this is a superb...in my opinion...version with a short Dennis DeBlasio Baritone solo in the middle. May be a little hard to find now.

Also, Herb's version of "Tangerine" is the perfect ballad. We still listen to it all the time.

Any ballads by Jack Sheldon (ever hear him sing?!!), Chet Baker, or Conte Candoli...even Don Faqerquist would be worth checking out. Harry had better ones than Ciribiribiriciribiribin :wink: His closing theme, "Rainbow Kiss" comes to mind. Don't forget, Al Hirt wasn't a bad balladeer, either.

On another subject, I heard yesterday that Mike Ditka said he'd like to coach the Detroit Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom