Favourite Instrumental Break

Another member of this forum always described that original sax solo as sounding like Bob Messenger was stumbling down a flight of stairs while recording it, something that always cracked me up.

The original take is great for the novelty value and Bob does a nice take, but it’s a rare mis-step for me (pardon the pun) - it doesn’t mesh as well with the original backing track, whereas the 1984 recording dovetails beautifully. I think Richard made the right decision to re-record it.
For me, the original sax solo is perfect because it captures the jazz-band energy of the gorgeous brass arrangement that accompanies the song. I never liked the 1984 recording because it was sapped of all of the energy that I found so appealing in the original single. This, along with so much else in their Christmas oeuvre, sounded "sleepy" to my ears. At a time when Richard and Karen seemed intent on sharpening their image, in my opinion this did a lot to further box them into the "wholesome family entertainment" corner. Whereas the original jazz-infused arrangement really punched up their sound. At the time, I was hoping they would go more in that direction because I thought they stood a better chance of overcoming the syrupy image they loathed with a sophisticated, uptempo sound. But this turned out to be the exception, not the rule.

The song "There's Always Something There To Remind Me" (Bacharach David Medley from the 1971 "Tan" album) gets me every time!! Reminds me of going to the fairgrounds carnival going to the "Tilt-A-Whirl" or going to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio & that laughing part!! 😂

All You Get From Love Is A Love Song is a pretty underrated song in my opinion. It just has so much going on and every time I listen to it there is always something I hadn't listened before.

Although its instrumental break is almost perfect, my favourite and most sentimental break is the piano ending of "Look To Your Dreams" (I don't really know if it could be considered as an instrumental break or as an outro, but there's just so much feeling in it)

Back
Top Bottom