• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

For What It's Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not much more to it than that. The track is an alternate mix, not as "polished" as the LP mix. Harry can tell you more, I'm sure he will chime in soon.

Well, I know a little about it, too, since it's my eBay auction. :)

The auction includes about 30 45s that I acquired through the years, and I have multiple copies of all of these, so I decided to unload (my wife's begging for space may have had a little something to do with it, LOL).

"For What It's Worth"'s 45 version not only has more Karen featured, the instrumental mix, especially the organ, is completely different. In fact, to my ears, it's a different organ track entirely. I'd wager Sergio went back and changed the organ track after the vocals had been more polished.

More interesting to me, in terms of the auction rarities, is the Atlantic Brasil '65 single "All My Loving" b/w "Telephone Song," which, if you're interested in hearing Sergio's development of his signature sound, is really a one-of-a-kind aural document. If Lani had sung these, they would have been classic Brasil '66. They're quite a bit different than Sergio's other Atlantic output, both instrumental and vocal.

Then there's the "Norwegian Wood" single, which omits some of the vocal back-and-forth from ballad to uptempo, but includes extra bars of Sergio's Rhodes solo.

Still available for a mere .99 opening bid. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge. :)

Hey, I may check out that Atlantic 45. I'd like to add that to my collection.
If you're into the Mendes/Brasil '66 sound, and have all of their albums, then you'll appreciate that "For What It's Worth" single. I was like a kid with a new toy when I first got that one.

Harry
...checking in from sunny Florida, online...

JMK said:
...The '45' version of "For What It's Worth" not only has more Karen featured, the instrumental mix--especially the organ--is completely different...

Yes, I once had the single, and right away, noticed the difference...!

JMK said:
...Then there's the "Norwegian Wood" single, which omits some of the vocal back-and-forth from ballad to uptempo, but includes extra bars of Sergio's Rhodes-solo...

Now THAT is something that I never knew... I don't know if I've ever seen "Norwegian Wood" on a '45', and if so, I obviously dismissed it as being the "same as the LP version"...!!

Dave

It's got about another day, but I think a non-A&M corner fan has bid in the meantime (unless it's LP Jim). Still pretty cheap at $13.00 for 30 45s, but your mileage may vary. :)

Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66' have been a very influencial group that helped personify the 60's pop sound. Lani Hall gave the goup it's unique sound, and she was the voice of the group. I found the album "stillness" at a thrift store for $0.35 cents, and it is a rare treasure as well as a very underrated piece of art.

The revised version of "For What It's Worth" actually came my way by fellow Cornerite Brandon Bergeron. I'd never heard it until he made a copy for me.

I really like the way Sergio's piano is arranged, not to mention Karen's amazing, heart-felt vocals. To me, this arrangement truly captures what a "Mendes" version of "For What It's Worth" should be and more. Sensational all the way across the board.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom