• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

*FORUM FLASHBACK*: "HORIZON SESSIONS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
ORIGINAL DATE: 10/14/03
AUTHOR: "raz42289"
TOPIC: "Horizon Sessions"

"To me Karen's voice is the best during 1973-1975 (Horizon Sessions). Would anybody like to comment on this?"

I totally agree with you about Horizon Chris. Karen's voice was absolutely impeccable on every track!

What 'Horizon' sessions were recorded in 1973? As a fellow Carpentersphile, I'm ashamed I don't know this! :rolleyes: :sad:

GOODY4SHOES said:
What 'Horizon' sessions were recorded in 1973? As a fellow Carpentersphile, I'm ashamed I don't know this! :rolleyes: :sad:

Actually Joe, Andrew Zimmerman (a.k.a. "raz") wrote this thread initially. My guess is he's referring to Karen's voice in general on the album, which began gaining it's even "richer" texture by about '73. I *too* agree with this. As far as both Karen's vocal quality as well as overall production value, this album is the best Carpenters album ever recorded. Just my $.02. :D -Chris

Ohh a flashback post that I wrote! How excititing! Well, I still agree with what I wrote. Sorry I haven't been over at the Corner a lot but I've been busy with Barbra Streisand stuff and with her new album GUILTY PLEASURES coming out the 20th (Tuesday). Kill me now lol.

raz42289 said:
Ohh a flashback post that I wrote! How excititing! Well, I still agree with what I wrote. Sorry I haven't been over at the Corner a lot but I've been busy with Barbra Streisand stuff and with her new album GUILTY PLEASURES coming out the 20th (Tuesday). Kill me now lol.

Naaah, you're off the hook. :D I picked up the Guilty DualDisc from Amazon and just got it last week, so I'm looking forward to Guilty Pleasures as well. Surprisingly I've never owned Guilty, so it was a treat to get this one.

As for Horizon, I do remember reading in Ray Coleman's biography that "Only Yesterday" was probably their "most manufactured work" to date--they did do a heck of a production job on that one.

Food for thought: did her voice really "gel" during the Horizon era, or is it just better recording techniques and/or production values that make us hear her voice all that much better.?

Rudy said:
As for Horizon, I do remember reading in Ray Coleman's biography that "Only Yesterday" was probably their "most manufactured work" to date--they did do a heck of a production job on that one.

I remember Richard stating at one point that this song had more overdubs in it than any other song they recorded. If you listen carefully, there is a lot of "overlapping" vocally, which would mean multiple sections, x4-parts in most places, and "doubled". Instrumentally there is a lot going on as well.

Rudy said:
Food for thought: did her voice really "gel" during the Horizon era, or is it just better recording techniques and/or production values that make us hear her voice all that much better.?

I have often wondered that. I think it's both. You can't help but notice a depth to the production value here like no other. I have always thought that about this album, and have never really heard that again since. Oh don't get me wrong, the Carps albums were virtually flawless, but something about this one in particular that knocks it out of the park. I think part of it was finding material that worked so perfectly for Karen vocally, as well as Richard where the arrangements were concerned. They had more room to focus on overall production, not to mention A&M had just upgraded their rooms to 24-track. There was probably a bit more passion, primarily from Rich in utilizing this freedom that he now had to really record their sound well, even better than in previous albums. The ability to now record the piano, rhodes, drums, et al in stereo really made more room for Karen's voice as well.

It's a shame that Richard has underrated this one over the years. I think he called it "draggy", mainly because he and Karen were beat from the road. Commercially to some extent, I can hear what he's talking about. On the whole however, this album really showcases their talent to the core. And, without sounding mushy and over-the-top, Karen's voice on this album sounds like it's actually a *part* of you rather than just in front of you. OK, I'll shut up
now! :laugh: -Chris

The only "draggy" part to me might be the abundance of slower songs here--I'd have preferred a few more upbeat songs. "Aurora" and "Eventide" are really nice bookends though, somewhat serious and somber, which IMHO give this project a little more depth than the earlier recordings. Overall though, I really like the way the whole production sounds. :thumbsup:

Rudy said:
"Aurora" and "Eventide" are really nice bookends though, somewhat serious and somber, which IMHO give this project a little more depth than the earlier recordings. Overall though, I really like the way the whole production sounds. :thumbsup:

I love those 2 songs, I wish they were longer. I have tried to edit them together using my analog 8 track recorder, but have not been 100% successful (hard to get the timing correct). I've been holding off, but I guess it's finally time for me to break down a buy a digital unit.

Just recently I was listening to the entire Horizon LP while flying back to California and watching the sunset from my 37,000 feet window seat. Very comforting/interesting combination of music and visual imagery going through my head during that flight.

Karen's voice during these sessions just exuded confidence! I was blown away by her new reading of Top of The World on The Singles album. She sounded very sure of herself; especially when you compare the vocal to the one for the ASFY album - I never cared for that version at all.

Up to that point in their career I hadn't really read to much about their recording techniques; all of that came later. And later, I realized that Karen did sing quite softly and close to the mic. To me this is quite evident in the Horizon recordings. This is completely amazing - she just opened her mouth and out it came! It didn't sound forced at all.

Now, in wondering why all of this occurred at that point in their career - why it was quite so evident, the only thing I could come up with was that it was around this time that Karen's anorexia began to be noticeable by others. Doesn't Richard mention 1975? Could it be that Karen was taking 'control' of her life, noticing results (diet), and this brought her the confidence that we hear? Just grasping at straws of course. But as has been said, her vocals during this period - versus before and certainly after - were incredible.

Mike

I too am very impressed with Karen's voice in this album - unfortunately I never bought it untill a couple of years ago. The biggies on it for me are Desperado (I can't believe that Karen didn't like this song, I think it's one of her finest vocal performances) & Only Yesterday. I think that during this time period Karen was really blossoming as a singer & it's hard to believe she was down to about 90 pounds (according to the official newsletter) and probably not in the best of health at the time of the recording which resulted in her collapse in Las Vegas.....

Well Kidz,

Here'z my update on my HORIZON collection. I now have 52 copies of the original lp cover. There was a time when I was going for the ultimate HORIZON display. However at this point my walls cannot afford the gravity.

Okey dokey. NOW me thinx I'm gonna go fer the GUINESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS fer the largest single collection of HORIZON LP's.

U guyz r gonna love me when I make the books!

Wish me luck y'all,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom