• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Get me the Juan Carlos Calderon Factor on A&M, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aymnostalgico

This master producer thrills me! What was the story behind it all? How did he meet Alpert. I listen to his work in A&M, Lani, Fandango, Maria Conchita Alonso. Why haven't Calderon and Alpert made more tunes a la Route 101? Of course, everyone knows J.C. Calderon went on to produce and compose Luis Miguel's 20 anos which was very successful and on and on after post A&M. Who knows anything about Calderon during the A&M years? :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum. Love the name you chose!

Actually, you've provided more information about Mr. Calderon than I knew, since I was unaware of his work with Luis Miguel. You're right about his AyM Discos work though -- those albums you mentioned fall into the "masterpiece" category as far as I'm concerned. Fandango by Herb Alpert, Lani by Lani Hall, and Maria Conchita Alonso's Maria Conchita represent among the best that the '80s had to offer. Maria continued to work with Mr. Calderon on her succeeding album O Ella, O Yo, with his compositions filling side one of that album.

Harry
...who loves these albums and speaks zero Spanish, online...

Harry, I can't believe you listened to these albums. I am still waiting for re-issues of Fandango , but I know that will not happen, or for that matter Conchita Alonso or Lani's album on cd. You figure that the hits are on compilation, but there are just other songs in these three albums that are excellent and will be forgotten. Did you know that J.C. Calderon is among the most important producers in the Latin market? let along the fact that Herb Alpert open the door wide open for him. Alpert was a cornerstone here. Calderon had successes in the 70's with Mocedades "Eres tu" , but only a man of keen senses and know how could bring a man like Calderon onboard the A&M family wagon.

Luis! You are so right about Herb's keen ear for talent. I mean, it's the '80s, he's back on top, Lani has found her niche in the Latin market, Sergio's back at A&M...all is right with the world! And, like everything else Herb did, the inclusion of Calderon was pure genius -- just what he and Lani needed to get going in the Latin market. I recall being really excited for both of them when Fandango and Lani were released. I have an article where Lani is quoted as saying, "This is one of the most exciting periods of my career!" Man!! That's enough to give me goosebumps!! :wink:

Jon

...who still feels the excitement of that magical decade, online...

aymnostalgico said:
Harry, I can't believe you listened to these albums. I am still waiting for re-issues of Fandango , but I know that will not happen, or for that matter Conchita Alonso or Lani's album on cd.

These albums are so good that I consider them prizes in my collection. You are aware that Fandango did get a release on CD? It's tough to find, and can be very expensive with the fierce bidding, but it is out there. I'm so thankful I bought it when I did. I also have (found on eBay) an AyM version of Fandango on LP, though there's no difference sonically to the standard English release, just the packaging with Spanish titles.

aymnostalgico said:
Calderon had successes in the 70's with Mocedades "Eres tu" , but only a man of keen senses and know how could bring a man like Calderon onboard the A&M family wagon.

I was unaware of Calderon's involvement in that great hit and thought I was the only one who even remembers that record. I even still remember the English title that industry-types must've insisted on for it to get airplay: "Touch The Wind."

Harry
...also wondering how Herb and Juan Carlos hooked up, online...

brasil_nut said:
Luis! You are so right about Herb's keen ear for talent.

Jon, I wish I paid more attention in the early 80's like I do now. You seem to be sharp on those times. That Lani comment you made, made me take a fantasy trip back to those times, though. thanks. You know I'm also a Brasil nut! I grew up listening to Bossa Nova's. I was introduced to Look Around when I was 8, and fell in love with "Roda" and "Batucada" We are very linked to Brasil , though. My dad studied in Rio and my brother was born there. I was shy of been born in Brasil by a week and my mom did most of her pregnancy with me in Pernambuco, Brasil.

Harry, "Eres tu" or "Touch The Wind" like it is known here, is Calderon's bread and butter. This is the song that opened it wide open for him back in 1972. I myself did not know it was him who penned this song until 4 years ago when I finally dedicated my time to find more about this producer-composer. I've gotten very good in recognizing his style and arrangements that when I hear one of his trademark progressions and ensemble arrangement I know to search that song. This is how it happened with "Touch the wind" Two chords triggered it! ....ohh! I forgot to tell you I'm a musician, so that is why I have interests in these type of things that most people don't pay attention to, hahahha! :tongue: According to sources I searched, "Fandango" did not do well as an album. Do you know more about this fact? I think it is a damn clever album, so go figure!!

As far as FANDANGO is concerned, there were two singles that charted...ROUTE 101 made it to the top 5 on the Adult Contemporary charts, and FANDANGO made the top 40 on the same chart, as I recall...I was hoping that ROUTE 101 would be a number 1 hit, but it didn't quite reach that status. It was, however, played on all the adult contemporary stations nearly non-stop, at least around here[central Indiana]. PUSH AND PULL was the theme of a popular radio program[albeit a syndicated one] that aired on a lot of contemporary stations, as well...I can't remember the name, maybe Harry or Mike B. will...and I heard my favorite FM station plying an old copy of BAHIA one night as the album was charting...I don't remember who the orchestra leader was, but it was OOOOOLD...and that wouldn't have happenned if the album wasn't making people take notice...

I really don't know just how FANDANGO charted...and I wasn't aware that Juan Carlos Calderon wrote ERES TU, either...certainly a prolific and talented man.

Dan

More on FANDANGO: critics raved about it, saying that it was Alpert's most heavily Spanish-influenced album up to that time, so you're not alone in finding it a gem in Herb's repetoire. We ALL list it as one of our favorites, and I wish I had a copy on CD. I really miss the marimba, though...I think Julius makes just one appearance on the album, at the very end of FANDANGO...maybe I'm mistaken[don't have the album at hand right now...]...I always wondered what Julius would have been able to add to ROUTE 101. If that song had been recorded in the'60's, he would have been at the session, I'm sure...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
More on FANDANGO: critics raved about it, saying that it was Alpert's most heavily Spanish-influenced album up to that time, so you're not alone in finding it a gem in Herb's repetoire. We ALL list it as one of our favorites, and I wish I had a copy on CD. I really miss the marimba, though...I think Julius makes just one appearance on the album, at the very end of FANDANGO...maybe I'm mistaken[don't have the album at hand right now...]...I always wondered what Julius would have been able to add to ROUTE 101. If that song had been recorded in the'60's, he would have been at the session, I'm sure...

Dan
There is a song on AyM Maria Conchita Alonso called "Noche de Copas" I hear a marimba that surges during the song and Alpert also has a solo on this song. Do you think is Julius playing his marimba?

It's unlikely that it is Julius unless he's uncredited. There's a list of musicians on the album in the credits, but no Julius. I don't know who played what, since it doesn't say - it just lists the names.

Harry
NP: "Noche De Copas" - Maria Conchita Alonso

aymnostalgico said:
Harry, "Eres tu" or "Touch The Wind" like it is known here, is Calderon's bread and butter......!!

I have a Mocedades album which includes Eres Tu. However, the one I really want is the version sung by someone else -- a man. It was a hit in the Philippines back in the 70s when I was growing up and while it was in the Spanish original, it was definitely a solo rendition and not Mocedades' "choral" version. Would you happen to know who that singer is? Juan Carlos Calderon himself, perhaps? Thanks! :)

DAN BOLTON said:
I really miss the marimba, though...I think Julius makes just one appearance on the album, at the very end of FANDANGO...maybe I'm mistaken

There's some marimba on "Push And Pull" that stands out. I haven't listened to this CD for quite some time, so maybe it's time to pop it into the player.

Capt. Bacardi

Well, not to bring the party to a crashing halt (I do that sometimes), the business side of A&M/AyM is the reason for Calderon's split. The label had far too many acts on its roster and was bleeding badly. As Herb put it, "we had some loose cannons."

Alpert and Moss had to mortgage their homes at one point in this chapter. The lady at the bank "where we had put in millions and millions of dollars over the years" looked at us and said, "Which one of you is Herb Alpert? It was COLD, man."

Getting A&M's financial house in order entailed shutting down AyM, even though it was Herb's pet project. And Mr. Calderon was a small part of part of the rightsizing that allowed the label to return to profitability.

Well, not to bring the party to a crashing halt (I do that sometimes), the business side of A&M/AyM is the reason for Calderon's split. The label had far too many acts on its roster and was bleeding badly. As Herb put it, "we had some loose cannons."

Alpert and Moss had to mortgage their homes at one point in this chapter. The lady at the bank "where we had put in millions and millions of dollars over the years" looked at us and said, "Which one of you is Herb Alpert? It was COLD, man."

Getting A&M's financial house in order entailed shutting down AyM, even though it was Herb's pet project. And Mr. Calderon was a small part of part of the rightsizing that allowed the label to return to profitability.
Richard, I appreciate your anecdote on this subject. How do you know about this? Was it published? I wouldn't be surprise this is true! Calderon is a very expensive producer. He charged in excess of $1million per production. This was back in 1988. Now it must be more. The man is an expensive music genius! Why was AyM not making it? Maria conchita Alonso's "acariciame and "Noche de Copas" were big hits. In my country of Panama both songs enjoyed great air play. I heard Fandango flocked as an album, but it spurred some singles, such as Route 101. I hear "Fandango" getting played on "The Weather Channel" often. As you know, Alpert was quoted as saying that he enjoys very much playing songs written by Calderon, and the fact that Calderon invites Alpert to other of his project is prove enough that these two are great friends and respect one another. If you know more on this topic, please keep writing on. :wink:

Captain Bacardi said:
DAN BOLTON said:
I really miss the marimba, though...I think Julius makes just one appearance on the album, at the very end of FANDANGO...maybe I'm mistaken

There's some marimba on "Push And Pull" that stands out. I haven't listened to this CD for quite some time, so maybe it's time to pop it into the player.

Capt. Bacardi
You will get hooked on that album, Dan!

Jesse said:
aymnostalgico said:
Harry, "Eres tu" or "Touch The Wind" like it is known here, is Calderon's bread and butter......!!

I have a Mocedades album which includes Eres Tu. However, the one I really want is the version sung by someone else -- a man. It was a hit in the Philippines back in the 70s when I was growing up and while it was in the Spanish original, it was definitely a solo rendition and not Mocedades' "choral" version. Would you happen to know who that singer is? Juan Carlos Calderon himself, perhaps? Thanks! :)
Many, many and so many artists did this song that is impossible to find out unless you eliminate the 80's ,90's 2000's rendetions and concentrate on the 70's only. there are over 100 different artist for this one song. I will ask my friends for feedback on this. this is the best I could do my friend.

Harry said:
It's unlikely that it is Julius unless he's uncredited. There's a list of musicians on the album in the credits, but no Julius. I don't know who played what, since it doesn't say - it just lists the names.

Harry
NP: "Noche De Copas" - Maria Conchita Alonso

Harry, more and more I'm getting convinced that julius is playing on Maria Conchita's album. Remember how these musician's were a team before all this musician unions came along. Jose Quintana, Abraham Laboriel were part of that with Calderon. I hear Alpert appearing on a few of Calderon's work out of AyM. I hear marimba on Fandango if I'm not mistaken. Why can't this be Julius playing marimba? Calderon hasn't used marimba ever since and he used it more than twice on recordings with AyM, why? because Julius' marimba was crying for the songs! What do you think of my logical suggestions?

Captain Bacardi said:
The marimba on Maria Conchita Alonso's album sounds more like a synthesized marimba rather than a real one.

Capt. Bacardi
That is a good observation of listening, Captain!! I know how marimbas sound like and I'm familiar with the sound, but not as sharp as you to catch a synthesized marimba. I'm gonna take another listen at it. thanks for that comment.

Captain Bacardi said:
The marimba on Maria Conchita Alonso's album sounds more like a synthesized marimba rather than a real one.

Capt. Bacardi

Agreed! It sounds electronic to me - not at all like a real marimba.

Harry
NP: "Noche de Copas" - Maria Conchita Alonso

Speaking of "Noche de Copas", my introduction to that song, and indeed Maria herself, was that 1988 Miami pre-Superbowl telecast that Herb hosted. On that show, Maria did "Noche de Copas" in Spanglish - part Spanish, part English. As I recall (without dragging out the videotape), the verses were as they appeared on the album, but the choruses were sung in English ("Night of Madness").

My question is, did this version ever see a release on a commercial recording, like on a single or something? Or was it a one-shot done for that program only?

Harry
...wondering, online...

aymnostalgico said:
Calderon had successes in the 70's with Mocedades "Eres tu" ,

Funny you should mention this: while going thru Dad's house, I found a stack of sheet music in the piano bench, and "Eres Tu" (with a picture of Mocedades on the front) was one of them. I didn't give it much more than a glance until I saw Juan Carlos Calderon as one of the composers. This probably dated back to the mid 70's if I had to guess.

Luis said:
Rudy said:
Funny you should mention this: while going thru Dad's house, I found a stack of sheet music in the piano bench, and "Eres Tu" (with a picture of Mocedades on the front) was one of them. I didn't give it much more than a glance until I saw Juan Carlos Calderon as one of the composers. This probably dated back to the mid 70's if I had to guess

1974 was the year if I'm not mistaken, Rudy. Can you tell me if you recall, was the song well accepted? Who did it in english? I am yet to hear it in english, even though I found out it was a hit , I don't know how big of a song. The title in english does not translate to what it really means. "Eres tu" translate to "You Are" So I assume that the song was written out of translation to suit the language better, no?

Harry, I don't know anything about that song been marketed in english except for that SuperBowl performance. I wish I would've seen it, though. That would really be a treat for me. "Night of Madness" this title for this song couldn't be better. Even though the title actually would translate literally to night of glasses, or champagne glasses. It talks about going out partying and going crazy, and losing control of it all for one night out. Here is the chorus part translated by me:

"One night of drinking, one crazy night,
I kissed other lips and put yours in the pass,
I tainted your image and led myself down,
and that is the story"

This will not translate to what you heard her sing at Superbowl, because even though mine is the true meaning of the words, for english that would have to make sense of the melody, rhyming and stresses of the words. I didn't do that here, so you have a really good idea of what it's been said.
You know, I just don't think this song would cut it in english. I just don't see it or hear it. I have heard songs by Mariah Carey in spanish and Backstreet Boys and Richard Marx and "Hotel California" ...all in spanish and it just doen't have that magic. It is very difficult to work it out, even the beat and flavor of this song in english would not be for the liking of the masses. But I love it. I love J.C Calderon arrangements!! Did you know that Calderon did translations for a Boys II Man album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom