• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Spotlight: DEFINITIVE HITS

How Would You Rate This Compilation?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 2 6.9%

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Never Heard This Compilation

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I went into a local Border's - not long ago - it looked like the overall CD display area had been moved to another part of the store and seemed to be quite a bit smaller in size and with much less selection.

I mentioned to my wife at the time that perhaps this was intentional on Border's part, since the iPod/iTunes and related types of downloads might be affecting sales of CDs. Perhaps people are willing to download to the computer and iPod rather than buy CDs.

But, what do I know? :?:

Rudy, believe me when I say that if I found any of the albums I don't have yet in a store, I'd know that they were hard to come by and scoop them up, no questions asked, even knowing that that's how I got stuck with the useless DTS copy of Passion Dance. I like Alpert's music enough that such was a chance I was willing to take and am willing to take again when the opportunity presents itself. I just don't expect such opportunities to be frequent.

I don't generally buy CDs for the liner notes. Don't get me wrong, liner notes are a nice extra but I don't go out of my way looking for them. Still, if the liner notes are as impressive as toeknee seems to believe they are, maybe they will contribute to making the purchase of Definitive Hits worthwhile. I think, therefore, that I will go ahead and do so the next time I have opportunity, even though I know it'll only contribute more to making Definitive Hits the top Herb Alpert seller and thus not help me find any of the others.

My recommendation was a little fuzzy. Just to clear up any confusion, I'll put it this way: You seem to have been toying with the idea of buying DH for a little while. Unless ten or fifteen bucks is going to kill your wallet, I still say go ahead and get a copy.

Now I'm going to talk out of the 'other side of my mouth'. Personally, if it weren't for the fact that Herb is my all-time favorite entertainer, I probably would not have DEFINITIVE HITS in my collection, since I already had every song on it already.

But in your case (given the fact that you're interested in the solo tracks which you haven't obtained so far), it only seems reasonable that the newly-acquired songs, plus the liner notes, would seal the deal. It's all up to you.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom