'GOLD - GREATEST HITS' jumps from #17 to #4 in UK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit1234

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/top40/albums.shtml

UK TOP 40 ALBUMS (27/02/2005)

TW LW Title Artist Label
1 ( ) SOME CITIES DOVES HEAVENLY
2 (1) SCISSOR SISTERS SCISSOR SISTERS POLYDOR
3 (2) HOPES AND FEARS KEANE ISLAND
4 (6) HOT FUSS KILLERS LIZARD KING
5 (5) AMERICAN IDIOT GREEN DAY REPRISE
6 (29) IL DIVO IL DIVO SYCO MUSIC
7 (4) FRANZ FERDINAND FRANZ FERDINAND DOMINO RECORDINGS
8 (3) SILENT ALARM BLOC PARTY WICHITA RECORDINGS
9 (7) TOURIST ATHLETE PARLOPHONE
10 ( ) DEFINITIVE COLLECTION TONY CHRISTIE UMTV
11 (9) MIND BODY & SOUL JOSS STONE RELENTLESS/VIRGIN
12 (10) HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB U2 ISLAND
13 (15) IT'S TIME MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE
14 (13) SUIT NELLY UNIVERSAL
15 (11) LOVE ANGEL MUSIC BABY GWEN STEFANI INTERSCOPE
16 (17) BREATHE IN LUCIE SILVAS MERCURY
:!: 17 ( ) GOLD - GREATEST HITS CARPENTERS A&M
18 (14) SONGS ABOUT JANE MAROON 5 J
19 (16) THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION LIONEL RICHIE & THE COMMODORES UMTV
20 (12) PUSH THE BUTTON CHEMICAL BROTHERS VIRGIN
21 ( ) ULTIMATE COLLECTION M PEOPLE FT HEATHER SMALL SONY BMG
22 (23) THE DOCUMENTARY GAME INTERSCOPE
23 ( ) FRANCES THE MUTE MARS VOLTA UNIVERSAL
24 ( ) THE BEEKEEPER TORI AMOS EPIC
25 (27) THE ULTIMATE MATT MONRO EMI
26 (18 ) LOVE SONGS PHIL COLLINS VIRGIN
27 (20) KASABIAN KASABIAN RCA
28 (38 ) A PORTRAIT OF - THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION CHARLIE LANDSBOROUGH DMG TV
29 (30) TROUBLE AKON UNIVERSAL
30 (8 ) LOVE ELVIS ELVIS PRESLEY RCA
31 (21) FINAL STRAW SNOW PATROL FICTION
32 (32) OUT OF NOTHING EMBRACE INDEPENDIENTE
33 (35) GENIUS LOVES COMPANY RAY CHARLES EMI
34 (19) O DAMIEN RICE DRM/14TH FLOOR
35 (22) ENCORE EMINEM INTERSCOPE
36 (33) R & G - THE MASTERPIECE SNOOP DOGG GEFFEN
37 ( ) EYE TO THE TELESCOPE KT TUNSTALL RELENTLESS
38 ( ) WHERE THE HUMANS EAT WILLY MASON VIRGIN
39 (37) CONFESSIONS USHER ARISTA
40 (24) UNWRITTEN NATASHA BEDINGFIELD PHONOGENIC

Great Carpenters sighting! It's nice to see that it charted like that. It is truly a great compilation. Incidentally, I was fortunate enough to pick up #009/100 of the Richard Carpenter signed/framed "CARPENTERS GOLD-35th Anniversary Collectors Edition" from Universal.

Hmmmmm, maybe we'll have to make a favorite "compilation" poll for this week's
thread! :) -Chris

I got #012/100 of that signed set. Mine's not framed though.

Harry

Harry said:
I got #012/100 of that signed set. Mine's not framed though.
raz42289 said:
Well, I must brag also. I own #10 and #56, but they aren't framed.

Did you guys buy these things post-market? I thought they all came framed! -Chris

We got ours before Universal pulled the framing out. What a joke. It kinda made me mad because they didn't tell us they were going to come out with framed ones. But...knowing Universal, in 5 years the glue they used will dry up and the frame will just fall apart and the disc will shatter. :D

raz42289 said:
In 5 years the glue they used will dry up and the frame will just fall apart and the disc will shatter. :D

Oh, you a funny, funny guy!!! :) Seriously though, I thought they were all framed. Well, just to have signed/numbered copy PERIOD is a good thing. And rule of thumb has always been "the lower the number, the higher the value". Whether or not it is at all true in this case, I think the three of us did pretty well! -Chris (...who thinks Andrew should be grounded from driving the Mercedes for a MONTH for that remark, online...) :tongue:

Well it appears we've veered WAY off course on this topic, and dropped the ball a bit, since 'amit1234' was referring to the UK charts and a different version of GOLD.

It appears that Universal in the UK has re-issued GOLD just this past week (February 21) in two different configurations:

One is a straight re-issue of 2000's single-disc GOLD compilation with 20 tracks, and the other, with a similar-looking cover is a combination of the same disc with a DVD of the old YESTERDAY ONCE MORE video package, these days also called GOLD.

So, THAT's why the UK charts showed a jump in the position of GOLD. It's probably on prominent display in the shops, maybe even advertised on TV.

It seem our UK contingent didn't inform us of this news!

Oh boy - yet another GOLD release!

Harry

Great news to see Gold -UK 1 CD set back in the UK album charts -incidentally currently at highest chart position to date ...#17 :D

This current re-issue & re-promotion links in with Carpenters 35th Anniversary year on UK charts , recent Love Songs UK TV Special rundown of favourite romantic tracks & selected TV / Media promotion :cool:

Universal UK have now issued Gold CD with Gold DVD -in line with similar releases Worldwide ( USA issued 2004 2 CD GOLD plus DVD ) after original Gold CD & DVD plus Christmas Portrait CD originally issued in late 2003.... :wink:

As Harry states ....another GOLD release variation ....& some confusion for fans & music buyers .. :confused:

Gold at #17 links into Karen's Birthday Anniversary this coming Wednesday (2/3) ...interesting to see if sales can increase for a possible top ten placing .... :o

Peter

Peter

Saw a TV advert for this album a few days ago before I read this thread so was really surprised :shock: :shock: . Just goes to show that quality will always rise above the mediocre...

I only discovered it by doing a casual 'Carpenters' search on eBay and saw a bunch of these reverse-colored GOLD discs on sale, so I went to amazon.co.uk for the info.

I was surprised to see a re-release so current, plus the fact that we hadn't heard anything about. Usually Yuka or someone tips us off about something like this. Even if the change in cover is nearly trivial, it IS a change, and certain collectors will want to add it to their stash.

Does anyone have either of these new releases. Is there anything different about the package - liner notes, mixes, etc.?

Harry

Intending to obtain Carpenters GOLD CD & DVD this week -great value combination both for long term fans & newcomers to Carpenters music :cool:

There appear to be a few re-mixes on several singles -Close To You & Rainy Days than appeared on original 2000 UK release set ...will check for any other changes & extras .... :wink:

Peter

PS -Carpenters Forum hits 10,000 messages & replies .... :D

Now it's 10,001. No, 10,002...and counting.

Harry
...with many of the 10K posts, online...

I grabbed one of these new GOLD CDs from amazon UK. They shipped it rather quickly, and it arrived yesterday. Nothing jumps out at me as being any different from the 2000 disc; in fact , all that I can see that's new is the reversed color scheme on the packaging.

Peter suggested that "Close To You" and "Rainy Days" were changed mixes, but they sound like the same remixes to me.

The catalog numbers differ:

2000 release = A&M 490 865-2
2005 release = A&M 987 064-7

Harry
...with more GOLD on his shelves, online...

I obtained GOLD the first time around. Gotta search and destroy the competition 'fore all the goodies disappear or ya'all might be shellin out alot of doll-hairs along the way.

Jeff

That is just great!!!! I had a feeling this release was going to do well. It really IS an all around definitive set!!! Kudos to Rich and Karen! :thumbsup: -Chris

Remember - as noted above, this is for the re-released UK GOLD disc - a one-disc Greatest Hits album. Originally released in 2000, and now re-released in 2005. The black and gold color scheme was reversed for this release.

Still, it's great to see a Carpenters title near the top of the chart!

Harry

Harry said:
Remember - as noted above, this is for the re-released UK GOLD disc - a one-disc Greatest Hits album.

Good point-- I forgot about that, so it wouldn't exactly be a "definitive" set [necessarily].

Harry said:
Still, it's great to see a Carpenters title near the top of the chart!

AMEN to that! :goodie:

^^ Yep. Typo! Twice!

Harry

[edit - and both above instances of my typos have been corrected. GOLD UK releases were 2000 originally and again now in 2005.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom