• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Happy 80th Birthday to Wes Montgomery!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

montgomery140.jpg

John Leslie "Wes" Montgomery

March 6, 1925 to June 15, 1968

:happybirthday:​

Dave :tongue:artyhat:

Wes, one of your biggest and best pals, a certain Mr. Jimmy Smith, is now up there with you in that unending, magnificent place with the B-3. He settles the drawbars back, you begin your solo. Thanks for all the memories, sir. Your guitar is in perfect tune now, not that it was any different 'down here on the ground.' You're still sorely missed today. Thanks, friend.

NP: "A Day in the Life," from WES MONTGOMERY: A DAY IN THE LIFE

I was just a 13-year-old kid when I discovered Wes -- thanks to A&M -- and was really bummed out when I read about his passing. He was just beginning to get some recognition at the time too.
Unfortunately, that huge cloud of smoke that surrounded him in all those photos brought about his premature demise.
JB

LPJim said:
Unfortunately, that huge cloud of smoke that surrounded him in all those photos brought about his premature demise.

As I recall Wes was touring constantly as well, and he wasn't getting much rest during that time. It's sad that he didn't live longer. It would've been interesting to see what he would have done had he lived another 10 or 20 years.

Capt. Bacardi

LPJim said:
...Unfortunately, that huge cloud of smoke that surrounded him in all those photos brought about his premature demise...

JB

Eh, but THOSE albums (with a Cigarette and/or Guitar) are where he does his best playing!! :bandit:

Captain Bacardi said:
...It would've been interesting to see what he would have done had he lived another 10 or 20 years...

Capt. Bacardi

Yes, there's a LOT, that I wish we could heard from him... How unfortunate! :shake:

Thanks again, Wes, for "founding A&M/CTi"! :thumbsup: :angel:

Dave

...Now playing: Wes Montgomery -- "The Joker" :jester:

I used to date a girl who had a close friend who was related to Wes...she told me that Wes always tried to find time for his family, even when touring. He'd often fly or drive home if he had a day or two between dates, just to be close to his kids. he was almost constantly on-the-go because of this, and it simply wore him out.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom