Happy Birthday Carole King

rockdoctor

Today, Carole King turns 82. It is hard to believe that she has been writing for over 60 years.
In my opinion she is the most professional woman in the music industry. She never was a diva like so many of the woman of today.
Carole should have been the first woman for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
My favorite song of hers is Will You Love Me Tomorrow, co-written by Gerry Goffin, as recorded on Tapestry.

For years I had the NATURAL WOMAN 2-disc box set, plus most of her LPs from the 70s and that was pretty much what I wanted and needed. NATURAL WOMAN contained the entire TAPESTRY album plus a lot of favored singles from later albums.

Then I spotted this set somewhere and ordered it:

1707495953408.png

It nicely filled in digitally what I was missing.

Happy Birthday Carole.

"One more song about movin' along the highway" lyric in King's "So Far Away" was also used in the song "Saturn Nights" by America (from 1972 "Homecoming" album)!!!

For years I had the NATURAL WOMAN 2-disc box set, plus most of her LPs from the 70s and that was pretty much what I wanted and needed. NATURAL WOMAN contained the entire TAPESTRY album plus a lot of favored singles from later albums.

Then I spotted this set somewhere and ordered it:

1707495953408.png

It nicely filled in digitally what I was missing.

Happy Birthday Carole.
I picked up every lp as it came out. I think the last lp was City Streets. To me, that was the best of her albums on Capitol Records.
In time, I got all the cd's of the original lp's and then found Natural Woman Box set at a very good price. Then Tapestry got released with the two bonus selections so I bought that and donated the original cd to a used book store. Later the special edition with the live cd arrived.
I was always hoping that Carole would go into a studio and record all the songs that she never personally recorded or find the demos and release them.

Loved Carole King - belated Happy Birthday.

Something I thought about in remembering her "heyday" - critics tended to adore her work. These self-same critics reviled much of Carpenters. For me it's interesting to note that we fans have the capacity to see these artists through discerning and appreciative eyes, recognize there are differences in their music and style yet enjoying what each has to offer musically, that the critics weren't capable of.

Disclaimer - I'm on record over and over in this forum of despising "critics", for reasons I won't repeat yet again :wink:

Loved Carole King - belated Happy Birthday.

Something I thought about in remembering her "heyday" - critics tended to adore her work. These self-same critics reviled much of Carpenters. For me it's interesting to note that we fans have the capacity to see these artists through discerning and appreciative eyes, recognize there are differences in their music and style yet enjoying what each has to offer musically, that the critics weren't capable of.

Disclaimer - I'm on record over and over in this forum of despising "critics", for reasons I won't repeat yet again :wink:
I have never paid attention to music critics. They often pan and artist's work and then later decide it was good. Laura Nyro's Christmas and The Beads of Sweat is a perfect example. It was negatively criticized when it was released and after her death it is getting positive reviews. I loved it when I first heard it and it is still my favorite release by her.

"Pocket Money" title song from the early 1972 movie starring Paul Newman & Lee Marvin (flip 45 song of "Sweet Seasons"). Stereo version.:

Back
Top Bottom